GL1800Riders Forums banner

New 2610 Wiring Harness

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Fuzzy 
#1 ·
Just received the new wiring harness available for the Garmin 2610 GPS.

It consists of the modular plug for the back of the 2610, fused bare wire end lead for power and, a jack to connect the audio out to. :) :)

Now I need to order the cellset. Trying to decide between audio and intercom!

See less See more
#2 ·
It's too bad that they didn't break out the audio at the fuse end of the cable only, instead of the Street Pilot end. It would have worked a whole lot better. Now you will have to run an audio cable up to the Street Pilot end of the cable to plug it in.

I hope Kennedy will come out with a better solution.

G
#3 ·
Fuzzy said:
Now I need to order the cellset. Trying to decide between audio and intercom!
Think well about your choice. My SPIII is connected through the audio. I can't hear it if I have the FM radio on. The AUX has to be on. If it were wired through the intercom (like my radar detector and FRS/GMRS) I could hear it with either radio or Aux on. Kennedy can make it either way. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have connected it on the intercom side.

#5 ·
Fuzzster,

I think that I am going to hold out for Kennedy's cell set that will be all in one. They did an excellent job on the SP III, and I would not expect less on this one.

Jon Jambor you hear me!....LOL

Hope to run into Jon at Americade, if he doesn't stop in for my wedding.

Bulldog

#6 ·
The connector slides into a "tongue & groove fit" and is a snug fit, plastic to plastic (same as the standard plug with speaker that comes with the unit). I believe the connection will stand some moisture but, I don't believe it would maintain a water tight seal if exposed to a driving rain for long periods.

I was disappointed (and surprised) in the location of the audio jack. I ordered it without seeing a photo first. It will work but it is not ideal.

The power cable has 4 conductors in it. I was hoping the other 2 conductors, that were cut off even with the sheath, were audio. I checked them with DVOM, no such luck.

#9 ·
Not only is the audio plug at the wrong end of the cable, it is not a standard mini-plug. I think they call it a micro-plug. Anyway, it requires an adapter. Not thought out at all well.

I have run it into and FRSset box from Kennedy and it 'plays' through the intercomm system just fine.

I also got one of the Touratech LOCKING mounts (comes with a key) that attaches to an adapter that screws into the clutch or brake reservoir mounting bolts. That way, the 2610 won't grow legs at lunch breaks.

#10 ·
Neil,

I picked up one of the "Universal Adapters" too for that mount, but I found that the width of the clamps on the bottom of the mount were too narrow for the width of the shaft on the adapter piece.

In addition, the bracket that bolts to the handlebar clamp bolts is too short to clear the switch housing (vertically), and the spacers included with the kit have too large of an outside diameter to fit in the space where the clamp allen-head bolts fit.

The p/n that they sold me is: 01-040-0660-0. I was going to call Tom tomorrow and let him know what I found and see if he just gave me the wrong kit or not. The locking bracket is brand new, so it wouldn't surprise me that they hadn't verified everything fitting together yet.

#11 ·
Jon,

I was at CycoActive yesterday and got what you got, I think. I had to screw around with it a little and used one of the fat spacers between the reservoir mount and the "t" bar. That put it high enough to clear the switch housing. As far as the clamp spacing vs. the "t" bar goes, I ran one clamp through the middle and the other one off the side. Not elegant, but it worked.

Tomorrow or Sat. I'll test it out.

BTW, the "Knight Rider" lights are still a hit.

#12 ·
Well at least I know I'm not 100% crazy... :a13:

I did that as well, and even changed out the spacers with some from my junk drawer, but ended up deciding to make a steel bracket for it instead.

I never did hear back from my buddy about your chrome - I assume it's all gone by now?

#13 ·
Jon,

Yeh - I'm not sure that the mounting bracket will hold up, but it's what I got. The only problem I find is that the "t" bar tends to rotate, even with a lock washer. We'll see how it does on a ride. I don't have access to a machine shop anymore, so I just keep my fingers crossed.

BTW, all of the Touratech instructions were in German - no Habla Deutsch!

The chrome went to a guy in Louisiana.

#14 ·
I've been out in the garage, tweaking the bracket I made and getting ready to transfer it to CAD so I can have the metal cut on our plasma machine in Eastern Wa.

They just ran a sample bracket for the XM radio mount I made and it looks good, but we missed a bit on one of the dimensions. They're going to fix and and we'll test it again.

If you want, I'll get you one of the GPS brackets when it's ready and maybe you can put some mileage on it for me? It won't be powder coated, but it should give us an idea of how it works and what needs to be changed. (I'd do it, but I'm biased and I already know it's perfect! :D That, plus the fact that I don't own a 2610 yet :cry: )

#20 ·
Jon said:
If you want, I'll get you one of the GPS brackets when it's ready and maybe you can put some mileage on it for me? It won't be powder coated, but it should give us an idea of how it works and what needs to be changed. (I'd do it, but I'm biased and I already know it's perfect! :D That, plus the fact that I don't own a 2610 yet :cry: )
Jon, are you refering to a bracket for mounting on the master cylinder cover or a dash mount? I'll also be glad to beta test it for you if it is the master cylinder mount. Heck, knowing how wel; you think things out, I'll buy one from you, let me know the price. I plan to order my tourtech mount today. As for the powder coat, if it doesn't add much to the cost it may be a nice addition, but if glare is a problem, there is always flat black spray paint in a can for $3.00 or less. Sure is great to have this medium to share ideas.

#21 ·
Rick,

The bracket I'm working on doesn't mount to the master cylinder, but kind of sits over and in front of it.. there's a picture of the touratech mount attached to the prototype bracket in this thread

I appreciate the confidence, but I'll let you know when my shop gets the first prototype cut and bent and you can see how it looks and we'll go from there.

It should be very sturdy, as it's one solid piece of metal cut on our plasma cutter so there are no joints or seams. It's then bent to clear the handlebar, etc. and finished.

Turnaround time is pretty quick on this so I should have something to test next week.

#22 ·
Jon, I just ordered my Tourtech mount. The young lady there told me about this new item they have for the Tourtech mount that "may" work on my bike. I wonder it that is the part you and Neil are talking about. Maybe I should call and delete that part from my order. Keep me posted on your bracket project. :)

#26 ·
I've thought about the Garmin cable and why the audio comes out at the GPS end and not the battery end. With the older StreetPilots, you had to run the audio cable up to the GPS, so Garmin is probably assuming that most installations on bikes are replacements, so they are taking advantage of the pre-run audio cable.

Too bad they don't offer "a" and "b" versions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.