GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a 500 mile holiday trip with it. A little different from the 2610 with a few pro's and con's but so far I love it (after getting familar with the new buttons and locations). Hope it works as good on the bike as it did in the cage.

Couple of questions:

I understand I need to download the V8 NT from the DVD, I received with it, to the computer so the map will work correctly, is this correct?

I have V8 on the puter now. I've read that don't work.

Do I need to delete the V8 before I download the V8 NT.

TIA

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got all of the above worked out and all is well. One thing I don't like about the 2720 is you can't disable the remote like you can with the 2610. Get in a down town area and it goes nuts with all the microwaves and alarm systems.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
put a piece of black tape over the sensor in front of the unit, should work...

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
RedStreak said:
Get in a down town area and it goes nuts with all the microwaves and alarm systems.
This can't be a problem with the remote. The remote operates by Infra Red(IR) and is unique to the 2720. There shouldn't be any random IR signals floating around. Even if there were, it would be VERY unlikely that they were compatible with the 2720.

You can test this by riding through the same area with a piece of masking tape over the IR window on the left of the unit. Then do it again without the tape. If it freaks out with the tape applied, you have another problem.

You are correct to say that alarms operate on microwaves. If that is indeed causing your problem, contact Garmin.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KYBLUE said:
put a piece of black tape over the sensor in front of the unit, should work...
Checked it out this morning, very little traffic in the downtown Houston area. Still the same problem with the tape on it. Sometimes when you stop at a red lite in between the buildings, the pointer keeps traveling and even turns into the buildings. (Dang that hurts)

Out on the open road, it does fine.

Never had that problem with the 2610.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sent Garmin an E-Mail. We'll see what the response is. This thing is useless in the city. 2610 didn't do this. I like the new 3-D display but if it's going to get all squirrelly in the city's, it's not much use.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
In the city are you traveling near tall buildings? That may cause a weak GPS signal. Check your signal strength, if it's low you may consider purchasing an external antenna.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Word from Garmin. Update unit version from 6.10 to 6.50. Just got unit and didn't think about the version being outdated. Also undated audio from "jill" 1.50 to 1.80. Haven't had a chance to get down town to check it out yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts