GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much reading from Rocky,Waldo,Paul and a few others I made the plunge and installed the Sony Xplode speakers in front and rear. The front was easy with a little trimming of the HONDA speaker PODS. The rear, well let's just say the second one was a lot easier than the first one was. No trimming was done one the rear and I used spaces on 2 front screws. Filled cavities with poly fil and the sound was worth it. Wal Mart has the speakers for $39.88 for a pair. Decided to go ahead and do this as these speakers ARE NOT listed anymore on the Sony web site. This was a fairly easy mod thanks to Paul for supplying his photos for me to review. The iPhone really kicks now. About a 2 hour job for both ends.

·
Registered
581 Posts
This was a fairly easy mod thanks to Paul for supplying his photos for me to review. The iPhone really kicks now. About a 2 hour job for both ends.
Where are Paul's photo's found?

Ken L.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are MORE Waterprook than what I took out

The Sony has Polymor Voice Coils and what I pulled out was paper.

Paul emailed me his photos and Rocky's are posted here in other threads.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Paul emailed me his photos and Rocky's are posted here in other threads.
OK ? So will you post them or list the thread? I and maybe others
would like to see them.

Ken L.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I've wondered how you (and others), have managed to keep speakers that are designed for internal applications dry. Does it take much time to deteriate the paper cones when subjected to rain and frequent washings? Do you all spray some kind of clear coating or waterproofing solutions (such as silicone) all over the paper cones. I would think spraying silicone to the saturation point and then letting them dry would be effective, but for how long? The moisture problem is why I hesitated to go the route of purchasing speakers designed for internal, dry applications. I currently have J&M speakers and one is buzzing a bit in the rear...so I will be replacing them soon. Another question concerns the ohms...the original sound system is a 3 ohm speaker system...how does it work when a 4 ohm speaker is substituted into the speaker system?

Any answers here would be appreciated as I do plan on changing out all 4 speakers soon.

Thanks
Allen Serviss Vernon, VT

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul's email is [email protected] if you want to email and ask him to send you his pics. I do NOT feel I should post them when I asked him to send them to me for my install. I am sorry and do not mean to offend you all but it would be like me sending you something and then the next thing it was made public on a forum somewhere. I feel he would be glad to email them to those that ask for them. I do know he is doing a write up about his installs along with his pics for future posts. I did mine somewhat different than either him or Rocky did and I did not have to cut anything on the bike for the rear installs. I did have to make the front plastic speaker pods bigger and I did my trimming with a razor knife.

The speakers I pulled out of the bike had paper cones. The Sony Xplodes have a polymer or plastic type cone. Are they WATERPROOF? I do NOT know but they will last longer than paper. I pulled out 3 ohm speakers and put in 4 ohm speakers. I had asked around at some stereo shops and all told me to be sure all speakers were the same ohm ratings.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208878&highlight=front+speakers
This thread has some of Paul's and Waldo's pictures in it for the Sony Xplodes.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181174&highlight=front+speakers
This is the thread for Rocky's install.

On the rears of mine I DID NOT modify the speaker frame in any way. I kept working with the install until I could get them to fit. I did snip some of the mounting ears just a tad. I would go slow first. The second speaker was a lot quicker than the first one was. The only thing I had a problem with was putting the screw from the underside NEXT TO THE PASSENGER BACKREST BUT finally got them going in.

These may not be for everyone or anyone for that matter and your mileage may vary BUT Rocky has never steered me wrong yet.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I DO NOT wash my bike with a water hose and hose it down. I do ride in the rain when caught out in it. I use a spray detailer for my cleaning and then use the Cajun Clean All Micro fiber. These Sony speakers will be much more durable than the paper ones in your bike now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts