GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wobble! Life is good. Nothing like new tires! THe Avon in front got
13.5K out of it and the cupping got to bad so off w/ the old and on w/ the new!
NEVER have had a wobble on this bike...:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I have new one on the shelf that I hope has no wobble just like the one "709"it is going to replace in a couple thousand miles.:bow:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I also got my bridgestones on last night and I have no wobble. Even took my hands off the bars while decelerating to test. Never had a wobble with the D250s either. Wow what difference new tires make!

·
15 year Member
6,947 Posts
I have new one on the shelf that I hope has no wobble just like the one "709"it is going to replace in a couple thousand miles.:bow:

"Couple thousand miles"

Hope that tire doesn't get "dry rot"

Matt(BCNV):tongue:

·
Registered
50 Posts
New Tires

Never understood why anyone would try to squeeze an extra two or three thousand miles out of their tires any put up with all the old tire issues. Get a new set of tires and you will thing you are riding a new bike.

NEW TIRES RULE..........

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I run the Bridgestones to the wear bars, never had any problems with them, no wobble either.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Never had a wobble with tires that are at least new to half worn. Only had one when it gets near the end of its usefulness.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I put a new 709 stone on the front of my wing and the "wobble" was very pronounced. I lived with it and wore it out, when it was replaced with another 709....wobble was gone!!! So far I have about 5k miles on it and still no wobble. I am beginning to wonder how good the QC is on these tires.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
A little extra air pressure greatly reduces the amount of "cupping".

Get a good tire pressure gauge and run 42 front and 44 rear. Check the pressure every two weeks.

I average 18k on a front and 14-15k on a rear (Bridgestones)

This new bike came with Dunlops. My first Dunlops. HA-HA ! Well, on anything but my Harleys.....

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
A little extra air pressure greatly reduces the amount of "cupping".

Get a good tire pressure gauge and run 42 front and 44 rear. Check the pressure every two weeks.
Is that the same pressure you would use if in the front if you are using a CT on the rear?

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I run the Bridgestones to the wear bars, never had any problems with them, no wobble either.
I love new tires but mine get run until the wear bars just like yours! I do the same with my brakes.
Once the new tires go on another new set gets ordered " on sale of course".
I have had only one 709 wobble after it was worn pretty good, I think I ran to much air in it. I run 38 on most occasions now and seem to get good wear as well as mileage ! My mileage varies depending on the heat I build up in the tread "been doing pretty good lately"

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never understood why anyone would try to squeeze an extra two or three thousand miles out of their tires any put up with all the old tire issues. Get a new set of tires and you will thing you are riding a new bike.

NEW TIRES RULE..........
:agree:

·
Registered
169 Posts
How about cupping on the Stones?

I have 9000 miles on the OEM Dunlops and I am seeing the start of
cupping on the front.
i have the dunlop e3 and it started cupping but i put the centramatics on and the cupping went away now it has 14k miles on it i am changing it this weekend with the 709, i have i bit wobble if i let go of the handle bars when deceling at speed no wobble ever.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ummmm

False

Not ALL tires cup.

19K on front consistently - zero cuppage for me thank you
Not sure how you get away from no cupping...every tire I have put on this '05 and my '02 cupped even with religious air checks. Metz, Avons, D250's and now checking out the BS's
38-40 front and 41 -43 Rear. Whats your secret?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Simple... I have a suspension that can actually handle the weight of the bike.

I am a very aggressive rider. All I can offer is my experience of 200,000+ miles on both an 06 and 07 wing.

I can tell you what equipment I have and the results of said equipment. I am pretty much past trying to convince people what they should have on their bike.

I will be happy to tell you what I am running later tonight... in the club right now

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Not sure how you get away from no cupping...every tire I have put on this '05 and my '02 cupped even with religious air checks. Metz, Avons, D250's and now checking out the BS's
38-40 front and 41 -43 Rear. Whats your secret?
They all cup, I'll agree. Block patterns will cup, I don't care if you have traxion, whatever, balance tires with them magic beans, whatever they are. The physics of the deal is you ride the leading edge of any block has more wear than the trailing. It has to be that way, and no way around it. Yes you can minimize it, but guys that say "none". Nope, there will be some, maybe less than the next guy, but full of bull to say none.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I add 2oz of beads and keep the air psi @40 and get 18,000mi cupped and wobble free! I also and Traxxionized!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts