GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
2018 WILL TIP ALL THE WAY OVER!!!! The OEM tip over protection sucks. No where near as good as what was on the previous Wings.

I have seen this happen on several 2018+ and some guy in Argentina invented a modified tip over protection, but I don't know how he make it or attached it. Was hoping some one on this site might have also thought about ways to modify it so it won't go all the way over on its side while doing parking lot practice type maneuvers.

Registered
Owwwwie. 馃槩 Thanks for the heads up on this. Painful way to learn. I'll be following this thread to see what inputs come in.

Registered
Max from Traxxion is a good designer, maybe he can come up with something along with all his other 2018+ mods.

Registered
Max, are you listening? Better Tip Over Bars front and rear to protect the stock lids and Corbin Hi-Capacity lids would save a lot of Tupperware!

Registered
You're dumping it during parking lot practice?

Reactions: INTHEWIND

Registered
Max, are you listening? Better Tip Over Bars front and rear to protect the stock lids and Corbin Hi-Capacity lids would save a lot of Tupperware!
I'm a bit scared to see what good protection would cost... But, yes, this is a product I would also be quite interested in (if affordable).

Registered
2018 WILL TIP ALL THE WAY OVER!!!! The OEM tip over protection sucks. No where near as good as what was on the previous Wings.

I have seen this happen on several 2018+ and some guy in Argentina invented a modified tip over protection, but I don't know how he make it or attached it. Was hoping some one on this site might have also thought about ways to modify it so it won't go all the way over on its side while doing parking lot practice type maneuvers.

View attachment 371708 View attachment 371709
What were you doing to tip it over?

Registered

Registered
I agree that the tip-over bars are very lacking. I got lucky when mine went over on the right side that there was no damage and no marks; only grass and dirt shoved into various places. When I picked it up, the underside of the engine was higher than the seat with the trunk on the ground too. If it were over any more, it would have been resting on the windshield and trunk lid. In comparison; having a broken trailer tongue attached to the hitch on my 2010 propping up the underside of the bike was not that far over. I had to dig out the broken end of the tongue from the hole it made itself before I could do anything with the bike. Once I got it dug out, the bottom of the bike settled and allowed it to be set up back on its wheels.

Registered
Sort of an off topic answer
"while doing parking lot practice type maneuvers."
Use RAIN mode while doing the above or in traffic, throttle is less responsive/smoother. Thus less chance of dropping the bike.

Registered
Insurance should take care of such damage , the problem is only how much deductible one decided to have.
The chance that effective aftermarket crash bars would cost much less than the deductible is virtually null.

Registered
I've had the previous gen roll past the tip-over bars too.

As remoandiris indicated, seems to depend on maneuver/speed/surface/slope.

Vendor
From the photos you posted, it looks like the damage on the front was due to aftermarket pegs you have mounted to the valve covers. I think the front tip over protection is adequete, but the rear needs to extend out a bit more to keep the bike from rolling all the way over onto the saddlebags. Also, remember if you're moving, all bets are off. It's designed to help in the event the bike is dropped on its side while stopped, not when sliding down the road. Also keep in mind that extending the tip over protection any more, could result in lost ground clearance when corning, which could be disastrous if the tip over bars drag while corning.

Registered
Well, just having dropped my 2018 DCT Tour for the first time yesterday while trying to swing around to park facing outward in a few spots I can say the rear bars do work for that use case - slow speed, can break fall and partially set it down. Bike was on its side but nothing noticeable to the bags, trunk or tip bar covers. I can also say that it wasn't quite as hard to upright as i thought it would be - its heavy but doable.

Registered
Had mine tip over while trying to put in the center stand. No issues at all. The Goldstrike hwy peg saved it.

Registered
You folks need to take video of all this stuff so we can stitch it all together so we can make a nice short movie.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
From the photos you posted, it looks like the damage on the front was due to aftermarket pegs you have mounted to the valve covers. I think the front tip over protection is adequete, but the rear needs to extend out a bit more to keep the bike from rolling all the way over onto the saddlebags. Also, remember if you're moving, all bets are off. It's designed to help in the event the bike is dropped on its side while stopped, not when sliding down the road. Also keep in mind that extending the tip over protection any more, could result in lost ground clearance when corning, which could be disastrous if the tip over bars drag while corning.
Actually, I laid the bike over after installing the Hwy pegs and there was plenty of clearance. They got damaged because it went all the way over. Here's a picture of how the OEM touches before I put the Hwy bars on.

When I went to pick the bike up the OEM bars acted like a fulcrum and it was super easy to get it back to where the tires were touching the pavement. They need to stick out a lot more than they do, just like on the earlier models.
goldwing on its side.jpg

1 - 20 of 74 Posts