GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used 2003 model and the previous owner wasn’t very knowledgeable about the trailer so I have a few questions.

How are the side awnings supposed to be propped up? I have the plastic rods that gets inserted in them and then the awnings velcros to the side of the trailer. Is there supposed to be a rope or something running across the top of the trailer to hold those awnings out?

The rear window awning didn’t come with the 8’ flexi rod to hold it open. Any ideas on where I could pickup a suitable replacement? It seems like an awkward item to order and have shipped from the manufacturer.

Any tips on how to tuck away the tenting material when folding down the trailer would also be helpful.

Thanks very much.

Steve

·
Registered
310 Posts
Steve,
We found that it was easier to drive a tent stake in the ground a few feet out from the awnings and tie them open with a rope. Those plastic rods are a PITA to use in the side awnings. I would recommend you just bite the bullet and order a replacement rod for the rear awning from Trailmaster. That rod takes a lot of bending and I doubt if any other material would work well. Be sure to use the boots over the hinges or they will pinch holes in the tent. They are a pain in the butt to use but are an absolute necessity. We just tucked the tent material in the best we could. I would use some care so you don't tear a hole in the screens. We had our Aspen for two years and enjoyed camping in it. We got tired of the setup and tear down so decided to sell it and buy a big camper to pull behind the truck. Anyone who says they can set one of those up in two minutes is full of it. You might throw it up in two minutes but you will spend another twenty minutes running electric cords, making the bed, digging out chairs and all the other crap we all like to take along. Twenty minutes to set it up and an hour to pack and fold it up, we got tired of the hassle.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Geeze, much appreciated.

Where exactley do the boots go?? They were in the box with the awnings when I bought the trailer. None of that stuff had ever been installed.

·
Registered
310 Posts
StevieMac said:

Where exactley do the boots go?? They were in the box with the awnings when I bought the trailer. None of that stuff had ever been installed.
The boots go over the hinges where all of the tent bows attach. The open sides of the boots go towards the back of the camper. They are a real pain and must be put on once the bows are dropped over the bed. Another thing I did was to install some of that black rubber door edge molding around the edges of the hinge brackets. I also put acorn nuts on the ends of the hinge bolts to help protect the tent material. The Aspen Classic was a nice camper but it did have its short comings. There are some definate disadvantages to having the bows on the inside.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Geeze said:
StevieMac said:

The boots go over the hinges where all of the tent bows attach. The open sides of the boots go towards the back of the camper. They are a real pain and must be put on once the bows are dropped over the bed. Another thing I did was to install some of that black rubber door edge molding around the edges of the hinge brackets. I also put acorn nuts on the ends of the hinge bolts to help protect the tent material. The Aspen Classic was a nice camper but it did have its short comings. There are some definate disadvantages to having the bows on the inside.
Why would the boots be a PITA? I just leave them on mine all the time and forget about them.
And yes you can set one of these up easy in about two minutes not counting taking off the top and putting down the landing gear, then your looking at about five minutes.

Wht Lightning

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
White Lightnig said:
Geeze said:
StevieMac said:

Why would the boots be a PITA? I just leave them on mine all the time and forget about them.
And yes you can set one of these up easy in about two minutes not counting taking off the top and putting down the landing gear, then your looking at about five minutes.

Wht Lightning
A pic of the boots installed would be great Wht Lightning. I can't figure out how they would stay on when the trailer is set up but I supose I'm not installing them even close to correctly.

·
Registered
162 Posts
[/quote]
A pic of the boots installed would be great Wht Lightning. I can't figure out how they would stay on when the trailer is set up but I supose I'm not installing them even close to correctly.[/quote]

Sorry I have no way of posting any pics right now, hopefully someone will come to the rescue and post one for you.

Wht Lightning

·
Registered
310 Posts
White Lightnig,
Maybe your boots are made different than what mine were. Mine were made from two pieces of the white vinyl roof material about 6" square sewn togeather on two sides. They had a small piece of velcro sewn into the open corner that held the boots in place once they were installed. If we lifted the bows even a tiny bit to reposition the tent material they popped off. Usually when that happened we already had the tent zipped up so we couldn't tell that they had fell off. I had small holes pinched in the tent material on both sides of our camper from when they popped off without us knowing it. Permanent rubber or plastic caps over the hinges would have been a better design.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geeze said:
White Lightnig,
Maybe your boots are made different than what mine were. Mine were made from two pieces of the white vinyl roof material about 6" square sewn togeather on two sides. They had a small piece of velcro sewn into the open corner that held the boots in place once they were installed. If we lifted the bows even a tiny bit to reposition the tent material they popped off. Usually when that happened we already had the tent zipped up so we couldn't tell that they had fell off. I had small holes pinched in the tent material on both sides of our camper from when they popped off without us knowing it. Permanent rubber or plastic caps over the hinges would have been a better design.
That's my experience so far too Geeze. My boots sound the same as yours and I can't see a way to keep them on there permanently.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Aspen Classic Questions

Feel free to call us and we'll be glad to send you an 8' awning whip for your rear window. As for the boots and how to install them, I would be happy to send you an owner's manual which should give you some tips (assuming you did not get one with your used camper).

Thank you.
Peggy
Trailmaster Inc
800-398-9090

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I called Peggy at Trailmaster and she was extremely helpful! She is sending me the plastic whips I am missing for the side & back window awnings and an owners manual free of charge. She would have shipped them to me free as well if I hadn’t offered to pay.

Thank you for the great customer service Peggy!!! I’m happier than ever with my Aspen Classic trailer!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts