GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my E3's were shot so sprung for my first pair of Avons. I've got 150 miles on them and they feel really good. The old tires had 10K on them, and were getting pretty squirrelly. So far these feel great and have a nice turn on the corners. No wobble on decel at 40 MPH ( Of course the Dunlops didn't either for the first 5K). Hope they are as good as many people have said.

·
Registered
989 Posts
My experience is that they are a very good tire. Got 10.5k out of the rear which cupped pretty bad and still have the front on at 12.8K. I think I will change it pretty soon (the front) I ride a lot of 2 lane twisties and the handling is Superb on them! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Well my E3's were shot so sprung for my first pair of Avons. I've got 150 miles on them and they feel really good. The old tires had 10K on them, and were getting pretty squirrelly. So far these feel great and have a nice turn on the corners. No wobble on decel at 40 MPH ( Of course the Dunlops didn't either for the first 5K). Hope they are as good as many people have said.
You might want to touch base with Rail32 who lives not all that far from you, he likes 32 psi in his and can explain all that to you and I like 38 psi in mine, we both seem to run about the same with the different pressures...

Avon recommends 41 psi...

I'm on my third set at 38 psi with good mileage out of them and love them...

Only got bad mileage out on one rear tire, but what I did to that tire, I don't think any tire would gotten any better mileage...
:eek:4: :22yikes:

I have found that the Cobras are very, very good in heavy rains as long as you don't run the psi to high... What do I feel is to high??? Above 38 psi... (Real Heavy Rain)... Been there done that, can prove that!!!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'll be very surprised if you don't love them...
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
If I went back to a moto sneaker on the rear it would be an Avon Cobra. I got around 15,000 miles out of the front and Red Bird murdered the rear after I took it off! In a nice was though!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
601 Posts
I put on a set of Avons about 4K ago. I still like them, but they are starting to sing like the e3's. Not as bad yet but it did surprise me a little.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might want to touch base with Rail32 who lives not all that far from you, he likes 32 psi in his and can explain all that to you and I like 38 psi in mine, we both seem to run about the same with the different pressures...

Avon recommends 41 psi...

I'm on my third set at 38 psi with good mileage out of them and love them...

Only got bad mileage out on one rear tire, but what I did to that tire, I don't think any tire would gotten any better mileage...
:eek:4: :22yikes:

I have found that the Cobras are very, very good in heavy rains as long as you don't run the psi to high... What do I feel is to high??? Above 38 psi... (Real Heavy Rain)... Been there done that, can prove that!!!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'll be very surprised if you don't love them...
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
I've ridden with Rail32.... I did not know he runs avons. I know he runs a CT on the back. Do you run 38 in front & back?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put on a set of Avons about 4K ago. I still like them, but they are starting to sing like the e3's. Not as bad yet but it did surprise me a little.
I had E3's but they did not sing. The Cobras seem grippier

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I've ridden with Rail32.... I did not know he runs avons. I know he runs a CT on the back. Do you run 38 in front & back?
Rail has a Cobra on the front and does run a C/T on the back but I think he told me he has a Cobra for his rear to play in the twisties with, I may have misunderstood him???

Yes, I do run 38 psi front and rear and they really stick good wet or dry and so far I have been getting very good wear out of them...

I keep telling myself I'm going to experiment and run some test with lower pressures but they do so good now I just can't make my self do it... Hehehe

Here's a picture of my front Cobra I just took off this past week
that has a little over 8,000 on it so I could test a Conni Motion... As you can see it is way long from being hurt... Ask Rail, he road with me when I had this tire on my bike, I didn't baby it even a little bit...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I am not a tire expert (yea don't say he's right)...but this is what I have experienced.....

I put a set of Avon Cobras on back in April of this year...after 10K had to replace rear...at first I thought I was dissappointed with the low milage (only 10K when everone else I thought was getting 14-15k) so June 1st I put on a set of Bridgestones...have about 1000 miles on the stones...

I am not saying the stones are bad...but I have to say when I am done with my 10K trip in July, I will go back to the Avon Cobras...they grip the road a lot better...I think one should use Avon Cobras if they are doing a lot of twisties...but I also think that the Avons Cobras since they grip better you give up a little on the long distance wear (excessive highway mileage in high heat)....

You will love the Avon Cobras in wet weather also...the day I put them on I had to ride home from evansville IN in snow ...they held the road, I was very happy.

Safe Rides..

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If I went back to a moto sneaker on the rear it would be an Avon Cobra. I got around 15,000 miles out of the front and Red Bird murdered the rear after I took it off! In a nice was though!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Rocketman...Just curious...thinking dark side in August when I return from my trip....are you a double dark sider..? if not why don't you run Avon Cobras in the front....does the car tire shift something that I should be aware of if I cross over...?

Safe Rides

1 - 10 of 10 Posts