GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve was looking around checking prices on the Avon AV71 Cobra Trike tire and it appears that it has been discontinued and replaced with a new trike tire called the Avon AV 91 Cobra Chrome Trike tire. Anyone seen much info about this change.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I’ve was looking around checking prices on the Avon AV71 Cobra Trike tire and it appears that it has been discontinued and replaced with a new trike tire called the Avon AV 91 Cobra Chrome Trike tire. Anyone seen much info about this change.

I never even knew there was such thing as a trike tire. Time for some research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never even knew there was such thing as a trike tire. Time for some research. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, they have been around for a while. Radial specially for front. My guess the reason for the change is that the mileage wasn’t that great compared to the bias rear tires that many use. The new one is supposed to be an improvement overall I guess but mileage for sure. Haven’t been able to find a lot of info so far. Evidently, it has just recently been introduced.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the regular tires go very quickly on a trike.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thats good news. I guess. Anything would be an improvement over the original Avon Trike tire. I tried two of them, on two different trike conversions and enjoyed less than stellar luck. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats good news. I guess. Anything would be an improvement over the original Avon Trike tire. I tried two of them, on two different trike conversions and enjoyed less than stellar luck. Thanks for the information.
That pretty much goes along with my opinion. Didn’t have any problem with or dislike the tire, but the cost difference and considerable less mileage than the BT45 with no noticeable difference in performance was a turnoff. Maybe a lot of people thought that and they are trying to make improvements.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if your post means that you hate or love the Michelin. Lol.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know what that junk was at the end of my post. I deleted it. The tire works great.
OK. That explains everything. I never used the Michelin, but have run several of the BT45’s. Liked the cost and mileage but was hoping the Avon Trike tire would provide a radial with good mileage. Ran a few of the AV 71 TRIKE tires and liked them but the price and mileage were considerably different. Hoping the AV91 will offer better mileage. I usually got around 18,000 out of the AV71 which is good, I guess. Just a lot less than 25-26,000.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I have the Avon TRIKE tire on my bike, and so far I have to say that if it's made for a trike it's got to be better than a regular tire...

Ronnie

·
Vendor
16,045 Posts
Michelin Activ sportbike rear tire, reverse rotation.
Although many use those, those are not a good choice. Basically they cup, and as the miles rack up, cause "buzzing" in the grips. Because reversing the rotation on a m/c is never recommended, many trike shops will not even mount those.

·
Vendor
16,045 Posts
How are others liking the Avon Trike tire ??? I don't do tires, but am often directing my customers to get the Avon trike tire.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Seems to be a good tire as far as handling, comfort, and road grip. I haven't had the new "Chrome" version long enough to evaluate longevity but all other characteristics are par with the earlier one. I ride pretty hard and enjoy the better handling and grip over the BT-45 I ran for years..

I only got around 12,000 miles each out of the first two AVON TRIKE tires! Time will tell how this new design holds up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey like they said Honda elite tire on front only got 9k miles,went to metzeler got 22k on it but had bad cupping and buzzing ,going to try Bridgestone this next year I think it’s the bt series heard good news about will know by mid summer some people are saying 25k on them,

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
So far I have to "honestly" report that I like the Avon trike tire... This is my second tire, I just replace it, before putting her into hibernation mode last week....

Ronnie

·
Registered
582 Posts
That pretty much goes along with my opinion. Didn’t have any problem with or dislike the tire, but the cost difference and considerable less mileage than the BT45 with no noticeable difference in performance was a turnoff. Maybe a lot of people thought that and they are trying to make improvements.

I was not impressed with the Avon Cobra trike tire nor the price, I too returned to the Bridgestone BT45 (rear), run it at 36 lbs as recommended by Honda. I feel no difference in the Corbra and the BT 45, more miles from the BT45, deeper tread (rear BT mounted on the front) and less dollars. Some swear by the Cobra and that's why there are different brand tires.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Although many use those, those are not a good choice. Basically they cup, and as the miles rack up, cause "buzzing" in the grips. Because reversing the rotation on a m/c is never recommended, many trike shops will not even mount those.

16,000 miles so far on mine. No cupping, no buzzing. Smooth as glass to 100 mph. Looks like it will go to 25,000 miles.

Mine was recommended and mounted by a trike shop.

I have a CSC Cobra with 6 degree rake.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts