GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
How are others liking the Avon Trike tire ??? I don't do tires, but am often directing my customers to get the Avon trike tire.
I had it on my 2013 Hannigan trike and I liked it but I will say that no trike I have ever ridden (lots of different brands) steers as light as my new bike. 2019 Goldwing Tour DCT
with the CSC Encore conversion. With the Helibar risers, I can literally move the bars lock to lock with my index finger, this while parked. On the road it's smooth and planted.
My dealer thought the Avon tire was flat spotted, I brought it to his attention that as a trike tire, that's supposed to be that way.

·
Vendor
16,045 Posts
I had it on my 2013 Hannigan trike and I liked it but I will say that no trike I have ever ridden (lots of different brands) steers as light as my new bike. 2019 Goldwing Tour DCT
with the CSC Encore conversion. With the Helibar risers, I can literally move the bars lock to lock with my index finger, this while parked. On the road it's smooth and planted.
My dealer thought the Avon tire was flat spotted, I brought it to his attention that as a trike tire, that's supposed to be that way.
Thanks for the info.

As for flat spotting. I might have noticed that too. If it has nylon cord it can flat spot. The new Dunlop E4s will flat spot, but if I recall they don't use nylon cord, but instead re using a new cord material that I've not heard of, and possibly that newer cord is what causes flat spots. If the new trike tire uses either nylon, or that newer cord, they can flat spot. I might add that I often see rear trike tires that use nylon. I had one the other day that I took an extended ride on, and at 60mph. I could not believe how rough it rode. But after about 15 miles it all smoothed out.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
The best mileage I got after running several of the original Cobra trike tires was 18,000 miles. My first Cobra Chrome is almost to 28,000 miles now with a few more to go. Just for comparison, the best I got out of a BT45 was 25,000. Tried one E4 Dunlop. Only got 10,000. Got better than that from the E3. The roads that I ride and the way I ride does not give the best mileage out of front tires, so I’m rather pleased with the Cobra Chrome.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought an Avon Trike tire and think it was AV-71 in fall of 2017 for when our front tire wore out.
Just had this Avon tire installed this week on the front of our trike.
They suggested 38 pounds of air in it.
Haven't ridden it yet to try it out.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Just like BBJ above, I have just replaced my last Avon trike tire, (and front brakes) before putting her away for the long hibernating period...I'll let you all know how long this tire lasts..

Ronnie

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well we have around 400 miles on our Avon Trike tire that i bought in 2017 and just had mounted a month or so ago on our 2010 Goldwing CSC Cobra Trike. I think it is an AV 71 tire. Really like it so far, it rides excellent, handles well, and really grabs the pavement in turns.
Will update more down the road.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts