GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a new Yuasa battery for my wife's Wing last year. I didn't add the electrolyte yet and obviously haven't charged the battery. Well, she may end up getting a new 2009, so my question is: How long will a battery be good if it has never had the electrolyte added? Can I wait and use this as a new battery in my Wing in a year or two or longer?

Mike G.
2001 GL1800 Pearl Blue (Wife's Wing)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Very good question. I would bet the battery would be good forever. But, does the electrolyte have a shelf life? If so, can you buy just the electrolyte someplace? My last battery that I put in the shadow sat in my garage for over a year before I took it out of the box, it didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Personally I think the reason they separate the two components is to make their shelf life infinite. The electrolyte is sealed, etc. so it's not going to change/react etc. until it's put in the battery. Similarly, the battery has no moving parts, chemicals, etc. so it's just sitting there waiting for electroylte. I bought two for my 2001 Wing and used one immediately and had another a long time "uncharged" that then worked fine. JMHO.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
As the other posters said, but do not uncap the battery and allow air to get into it. This will shorten the life of the battery if oxygen gets into the dry plates.

·
Registered
264 Posts
they last a long time , Honda has some sitting in crates of 06 and 07 VtXs and they will have a full warranty when sold. that 09 will have a gel battery in it

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Keep both the Battery and the Electrolyte separate,as long as they don't have sex,the relationship will never deteriorate..:thumbup:

W

·
0 Posts
Keep both the Battery and the Electrolyte separate,as long as they don't have sex,the relationship will never deteriorate..:thumbup:
But if they did "get together" when you weren't looking, wouldn't that lead to the possibility of gaining a bunch of little 9V batteries after awhile? :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for your replys! I thought it might be the case that the batteries would be fine for quite a long time, but it helps to get validation of this. I will keep the electrolyte and dry plates seperate so that no mating occurs until they're ready to be properly married. Thanks again.

Mike G.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts