·
Registered
216 Posts
Is this retro to the earlier models?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Until I see one I have no idea if it fits or connects properly.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
My bike came with one. You can see the lettering on it has changed. Size appears unchanged, so it should be a drop in replacement if you wanted to "upgrade" an older bike to the new battery. It doesn't appear any changes have occured to the voltage regulator to accomadate the new battery, as my voltage remains at around 14 - 14.5 volts when the engine is running.

The previous YTX20HL-BS and YTX20L-BS batteries are both 18 amp hour batteries. The new GYZ20L is a 20 amp/ hour battery. It weighs 15.2 pounds versus the 12.4 pounds the old battery weighed, and it takes 2.0 amps for charging, up from 1.8 on the old battery. It has 270 CCA, versus 310 from the heavy duty version of the YTX20HL-BS that Hal currently sells, but is the same as 270 as the orignial YTX20L-BS that came stock. So it would appear the only real advantage is it has a bit larger amp/hour rating, and obvioulsy weighs more as a result (more lead).

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/2009_yuasa_apps_specs.pdf

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Mine has it also.............hopefully we can get just as good of life out of this as the prior version.
The 2001 - 2008 OEM Yuasa battery was a good one.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Don't post unless you are going to provide a few details :lol::lol::lol:

My bike came with one. You can see the lettering on it has changed. Size appears unchanged, so it should be a drop in replacement if you wanted to "upgrade" an older bike to the new battery. It doesn't appear any changes have occured to the voltage regulator to accomadate the new battery, as my voltage remains at around 14 - 14.5 volts when the engine is running.

The previous YTX20HL-BS and YTX20L-BS batteries are both 18 amp hour batteries. The new GYZ20L is a 20 amp/ hour battery. It weighs 15.2 pounds versus the 12.4 pounds the old battery weighed, and it takes 2.0 amps for charging, up from 1.8 on the old battery. It has 270 CCA, versus 310 from the heavy duty version of the YTX20HL-BS that Hal currently sells, but is the same as 270 as the orignial YTXL-BS that came stock. So it would appear the only real advantage is it has a bit larger amp/hour rating.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Don't post unless you are going to provide a few details :lol::lol::lol:
Sorry, sometimes I get carried away....

The bad news is that the 2009's are now probably the slowest GL1800's made due to the additional 2.8 lbs of the newer battery.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
By the way, one more little tidbit....

Page 8 of the pdf spec file on the Yuasa site shows that the GYZ20L YTX20HL-BS, and YTX20L-BS are all interchangable, as well as page 16 which lists:

GL1800 Gold Wing '09 GYZ20L
GL1800 Gold Wing '01-'08 GYZ20L* YTX20L-BS

The astricks means it is interchangable. So for a little money, the rest of you can make your bikes just as slow as the 09 is.

The old YTX20L-BS put in the early model bikes was the lightest at 11.2 lbs, so the 01-03 models should run circles around the 09.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
That is why I got the Yellow one - its additional speed offsets the extra battery weight and my fat butt ...........:joke::joke::joke:

Sorry, sometimes I get carried away....

The bad news is that the 2009's are now probably the slowest GL1800's made due to the additional 2.8 lbs of the newer battery.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I am gonna put a moped battery in mine . . . so you will just have to lose more weight!!!

lol

:coffee1:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts

The previous YTX20HL-BS and YTX20L-BS batteries are both 18 amp hour batteries. The new GYZ20L is a 20 amp/ hour battery. It weighs 15.2 pounds versus the 12.4 pounds the old battery weighed, and it takes 2.0 amps for charging, up from 1.8 on the old battery. It has 270 CCA, versus 310 from the heavy duty version of the YTX20HL-BS that Hal currently sells, but is the same as 270 as the orignial YTX20L-BS that came stock. So it would appear the only real advantage is it has a bit larger amp/hour rating, and obvioulsy weighs more as a result (more lead).

HAl. thanks for the heads up.
Fred..... thanks also... Question!
What size drill and screws did you use to mount the terminal blocks to the side of the battery? I used roofing nails... but they keep coming lose!:joke:
All hail the mighty power of "Goop"!

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
HAl. thanks for the heads up.
Fred..... thanks also... Question!
What size drill and screws did you use to mount the terminal blocks to the side of the battery? I used roofing nails... but they keep coming lose!:joke:
All hail the mighty power of "Goop"!
Screws?? Nails?? Thats for amatures. I used JB Weld and Duct tape.

Actually, they are attached with double sided sticky foam tape.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
My approach is to go on a diet and lose 2.8 lbs so I can keep up with the rest of you.
I suggest you consider finding someone with an '02 Pearl Orange and trade batteries from it because the Pearl Ornage '02s were the second fastest version of the GL1800 made; almost as quick as the Black '02s. But, I can not recommend that you transfer any parts from the black '02s to anyother GL800 because the other bikes are just not designed to take so much speed 'n power.

prs

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My approach is to go on a diet and lose 2.8 lbs so I can keep up with the rest of you.
Hell, you could gain 300 pounds and I couldn't keep up with you... and won't try, I know you'd wait for me at the next turn.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I suggest you consider finding someone with an '02 Pearl Orange and trade batteries from it because the Pearl Ornage '02s were the second fastest version of the GL1800 made; almost as quick as the Black '02s. But, I can not recommend that you transfer any parts from the black '02s to anyother GL800 because the other bikes are just not designed to take so much speed 'n power.

prs
Sorry they were just a smidgen behind the 02 Silver. Ask my buddy Sunkist Bob. Of course he outweighs my skinny a$$ by 150 pounds:eek:4::eek:4:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I recall many GL1800 batteries have failed in such an instant fashion that you would expect the cause to be a broken connection inside the battery.
That's not an unusual thing with light weight motorcycle batteries.
So I wander if this heavier battery might not have heavier components to reduce
failures of that sort.
Of course, the most significant source of the additional weight is probably from more, or thicker plates.... but some beefier inner connections would be nice.
Over many years I've lost more than a few batteries in that instant failure situation, where something inside just comes apart.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts