GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed new battery on my 06, when connecting the terminals I noticed a spark, I would think this would indicate a draw on the system? any suggestions? Key was off and I tried it with all accessories disconnected, and it still sparked. It is an 06 level 3 with 82,000 miles.

·
Registered
638 Posts
ctmb,
A small spark is normal. The radio and clock use power to remember their settings.

·
Registered
119 Posts
While I am new to the Goldwing, this has always held true with other vehicles.

Take a simple test light and test between the positive battery post and the positive battery cable (while it is disconnected) if it lights the bulb in the tester, I would say you have a problem. Since you say you disconnected all accessories, I would suspect the alternator.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You are connecting the positives first, then the negatives, right?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I guess that is why to use battery tender when idle for a while.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,593 Posts
Yep, there's even a spec from Honda on how much current is normal while the key is off, no more than 5ma. :thumbup:

·
Registered
653 Posts
That's just capacitors charging up, then they level off on the amount they draw to 0. but, the parasitic loads do draw a small amount. Not enough to see a spark, tho. Radio, cb, mp3 player, remote receiver, etc. But, not the ecm. Not to worry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts