GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I'm now in the market for getting a new battery for the Wing before Spring finally rolls around. My current battery is over 3 years old and I never run a bike battery longer than that....................

I've heard alot of hype over the new Deka battery but anyone know of actual test informaton on this battery?
I've never had a problem wiht the Yuasa so I'm inclined to stay with that but willing to change if there is some factual data available (not marketing hype) on the highly aclaimed Deka.

Thanks for any informaiton......................

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hi Brian,

I have heard great stuff about the Deka as well. I think that Wing World did a shoot out between the Yuasa and Deka a few years ago. I think that the result, was that they are both top quality batteries.

There also was a lot of chatter about acid vs gel batteries. Supposedly the Gel battery stands up better against road vibration etc.

When it is all said in done, I usually go for the Yuasa, because it is easy to get, and I like that.

How does HDL sell the acid batteries. I would bet they are shipped dry, and then it is up to the buyer to purchase acid. Anybody know, if this is correct?

Bulldog

·
Registered
353 Posts
I bought the Yuasa and it came with the acid in a sealed container and the container was in a sealed plastic bag.

Hey Brian, I am working in your area

·
Registered
979 Posts
Batteries

:) I have had real good luck with the Westco maintenance free Batteries on previous wings. No matter what brand you choose a battery tender makes a good addition as well really extends battery life. :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
How they come

Thats how most of the motorcycle and ATV batteries come now a days.
They are shipped dry and you add your own acid and put your own initial charge on the battery. Comes all shipped together in a box. My acid was in a plastic bottle. Easily done the instructions have to be understood correctly. The initial charge is very important, read twice and do it once.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Brain,
The only test I seen, was in WingWorld, they gave it a very good report. I have one but only because it was available when I needed a new battery, got to say that it is doing a very good job so far. One thing I have noticed is when I plug into the battery tender it switches over to stand by mode with in five minutes or so, the EOM battery would always take a hour or so to go into stand by mode. Makes me think that it is holding a higher rate of charge. I think you will be happy with either brand.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Brian, I have a new Deka sitting in the garage. I purchased this battery beacuse my dealer had a holiday special on pricing. This battery in a shootout test, was one of the high performers. As I read the posts the subject of acid keeps coming up. As you know, all 1800 batteries OEM, are of the Absorbed Glas Mat Technology. Sealed up. The Deka number is ETX20L. I am going to 'Florida next week for two months and I will take the new battery with me. I might put it in and I might not. The old battery seems to be doing fine.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
01, 100,000 miles

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
At the time of the last battery test in Wing World the DEKA wasn't available yet, Stu got one to test a couple of months later, he posted in Wing World that he tested the DEKA to the same standards as the others. When all the testing was done Stu had a piece in Wing World, he said the DEKA outperformed any battery he had ever tested for a Gold Wing, you can't get a much better report than that! :D

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
What Wingman26 said!

·
Registered
49 Posts
battery

Brian, I put a new deka batt. in my 2001 1800 and yes it did make a noteable differance in starting. cranks faster,starts better.been in for 1 yr. and I'll buy another one when the time comes. Lee in AZ. :lol:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Brian

My stock battery is almost three years old. I'm gonna run it till it quits, I only got two years out of th battery i had on my CBR 900. I'm thinkin th Wing battery will last five years at least. I'll be th test mule. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
Suspect my battery cost will be less than half of Brians because I am confident the battery will last well beyond 6 years and plan to keep useing it untill it seems to be failing. However now that I said that it will probably go to out unexpectedly on my next long trip at about midnite on a Saturday with no battery available in 100 miles! :crew:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the information guys.................

Sure the battery could last another 3 years but as time goes by your playing russian roulette IMHO.
The $60 - $80 every 3 years is mighty cheap insurance IMHO.
Your going to kick yourself in the @$$ when your 100 miles from nowhere and the battery dies.............

I'm not to fond of push starting a GoldWing! Heheeeee.

Anyway to each his own...............I'm springing for a new battery.............I'll probably give the Deka a try.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Brian_Fenner said:
Thanks for the information guys.................

Sure the battery could last another 3 years but as time goes by your playing russian roulette IMHO.
The $60 - $80 every 3 years is mighty cheap insurance IMHO.
Your going to kick yourself in the @$$ when your 100 miles from nowhere and the battery dies.............

I'm not to fond of push starting a GoldWing! Heheeeee.

Anyway to each his own...............I'm springing for a new battery.............I'll probably give the Deka a try.
Hey Brian, I feel the same way about getting stuck. When Hal had the holiday sale, I picked up a Yuasa High Performance battery for like $57.00 after the 12% discount. I will not set it up until springtime around here but I figure its worth the piece of mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts