GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 level 4 looks like it needs a battery. I'm looking for a maintenance free battery. I'm looking at Shorai or ballistic but I know nothing about them. I've done the search and have read that some don't work good in the cold which won't work as it gets cold here. Do any of you have first hand knowledge of these or am I better off buying another Yuasa ?
Thanks!
Bill

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
My Hondas have always come with Yuasa batteries, I never do any maintenance to them as I ride year-round and they always get replaced after 6 years just because I don't want one to fail on the road. I don't know how you can do better, you can however spend more $.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This battery is about 5 years old so I don't have any complaints but I just wondered if there was anything better.
Bill

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
This battery is about 5 years old so I don't have any complaints but I just wondered if there was anything better.
Bill
Not really. Shorai will not start your bike in cold weather. Unless you are below the mason dixon line,don't get one. I got one on the word of a respected member on this board, but he lived where they are just fine. I lost lots of $$$$ on it.

Anyway, 5 years? Why screw with success? All batteries for this bike are "maintenance free" in fact I don't know that they make non-maintenance free anymore except for farm implements.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
One of, if not the most important things, to pay attention to when acquiring a new lead/acid battery, that already has the acid in it (and they all have acid in them unless they are NiCad or LiI) is the date the battery was manufactured. All battery's will have an Alpha Numeric date code stamped in the battery case and then they will usually also have a sticker with another Alpha Numeric date code somewhere on, or near the top of the Battery. The date code of the sticker is usually three months after the one that is stamped into the battery case. The stamped date code is the actual date of manufacture and the sticker is typically used for warranty purposes if/when the consumer can't find their original receipt. Do your homework (it's worth it) to decipher the date code that the battery manufacturer you are considering uses. Ex: One popular date code theme is a Letter followed by a Number, where the Letter is the month (A=January, B=February, C=March, etc.) and the number stands for the year (4=2014, 2004, 1994, 3=2013, 2003, 1993 etc) What you want ideally; is a battery that is less than 3 months from the date it was manufactured. More than that and the life you will get from the battery will be relatively short. Battery's are like bread, they don't improve sitting on a shelf somewhere.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Only thing better than the oem battery for your 08 is the oem 09 battery more powerful than the 08. Go with it you won't be disappointed. You will get another 5 years without any problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts