GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even tho the bike is only a little over a year old, I think it's time to replace the battery as it won't stay up for more than a few days at a time and am having a hard time finding somewhere to buy one besides the dealer. Not sure I want another "stock" battery.

Any good suggestions? Did a search on here but couldn't really find anything. Thanks

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I do not think you will beat the YUASA specific battery, but shop around. Any of the big motorcycle parts/supply online stores such as Partzilla, or Wing Stuff, or Amazon. Make sure you charge the battery fully BEFORE use and always park in neutral, bike NOT in ANY motion, and key switch turned CCW twice to activate the lock beeper (not necessary to actually turn bars to lock.

prs

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The battery isn't under warranty?

·
Banned
435 Posts
I've always moved to Interstate AGM batteries when I have to buy new ones. I've been pleased with them.

I know you can't necessarily compare charging systems two different bikes, but after a ride my Battery Tender Jr would go straight to a blinking green light on my Kawasaki (Interstate AGM). With my Goldwing it's a solid red light (stock Yuasa).

When I was at the dealer negotiating my purchase they had three Goldwings (new, unsold) with dead batteries. These bikes have a LOT of electronics on them, and I was surprised to learn that Honda hadn't spec'd AGM, from the factory.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Before the battery is condemned, it should be tested. Prior to testing it, put it on a charger (preferably a 2amp charger) to bring it up to a full charge. After, it's charged, it needs to sit an hour before testing.

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
I've always moved to Interstate AGM batteries when I have to buy new ones. I've been pleased with them.

I know you can't necessarily compare charging systems two different bikes, but after a ride my Battery Tender Jr would go straight to a blinking green light on my Kawasaki (Interstate AGM). With my Goldwing it's a solid red light (stock Yuasa).

When I was at the dealer negotiating my purchase they had three Goldwings (new, unsold) with dead batteries. These bikes have a LOT of electronics on them, and I was surprised to learn that Honda hadn't spec'd AGM, from the factory.
The battery in the new wings is a GYZ20L battery which is an AGM battery.

:doorag:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had another thread on this. Honda had problems with batteries and replaced mine for free.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
8,749 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
After 8 months, my bike sat for 9 weeks parked and untouched. When I went out to fire it up, no problem, didn't even give a wimpier

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Shoot, mine won't stay charged for more than a few days and the last time it was almost dead even with a tender jr on it. I put the "regular" tender on it and it started up within an hour or so but tired of taking the covers off and messing with the battery.

BTW, the dealer said sorry about your luck. Also, are the batteries different in this newer Goldwing than the previous years model? Walmart sells batteries that supposedly fit Wings up to the 17" model year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Even tho the bike is only a little over a year old, I think it's time to replace the battery as it won't stay up for more than a few days at a time and am having a hard time finding somewhere to buy one besides the dealer. Not sure I want another "stock" battery.

Any good suggestions? Did a search on here but couldn't really find anything. Thanks

I purchased an Autozone battery even though my seven year old Yuasa still started the bike like it was new. The price and cca's were comparable to the Yuasa.
I was headed to Tahoe for a week and didn't want to experience problems while on vacation. Six months later the battery was down to 12.4v even though it was on a maintainer. My next battery will be a Yuasa.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Batteries in motorcycles, of almost any flavor, only last about two years out here in the desert. (Even the best car batteries only last about three years.) So far every time I have needed a new battery for my motorcycle I just buy a new bike.
I've had three Goldwings; 2014, 2016 and 2018. I'm almost due for another new one. (I'm waiting for the battery to die.)
LOL

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
867 Posts
Shoot, mine won't stay charged for more than a few days and the last time it was almost dead even with a tender jr on it. I put the "regular" tender on it and it started up within an hour or so but tired of taking the covers off and messing with the battery.

BTW, the dealer said sorry about your luck. Also, are the batteries different in this newer Goldwing than the previous years model? Walmart sells batteries that supposedly fit Wings up to the 17" model year.
Just attach a permanent lead from the battery sticking out of the bike a few inches. I connect mine after every single ride and it takes about 5 seconds. FWIW, my bike is only 3 months ( ? ) old and the tender turns green within 10 seconds or less.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Batteries in motorcycles, of almost any flavor, only last about two years out here in the desert. (Even the best car batteries only last about three years.) So far every time I have needed a new battery for my motorcycle I just buy a new bike.
I've had three Goldwings; 2014, 2016 and 2018. I'm almost due for another new one. (I'm waiting for the battery to die.)
LOL
Have to laugh....................I have a friend that buys a new car as soon as it needs it's first set of new tires. Nice !!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Have to laugh....................I have a friend that buys a new car as soon as it needs it's first set of new tires. Nice !!
Honestly, it wasn't planned that way and there are reasons for each change. It is just funny to think that is really how long a battery lasts out here. I may find out for real this time.
I'm just under one year with the 2018 and so far I've killed the battery twice. I'm guessing it might have an effect on its longevity, but time will tell. (See what I did there?)
I've now figured out that you can't shut the bike off after putting it on the center stand. It never actually turns off. Ooops. I don't have that problem any more. I have a feeling this may have killed off a couple of batteries prematurely. It was great of the dealers to swap them out.

·
Banned
435 Posts
I've now figured out that you can't shut the bike off after putting it on the center stand. It never actually turns off.
I put my Wing on the center stand in my garage. It looks like it turns off.

Are you saying it will turn the lights and screen off, but the bike doesn't actually turn off, internally? Or was yours not really turning off, at all?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts