GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Honda's, mess all what goldwing was about, and the problem is, they will not correct it, sad.
If you have a old Goldwing, don't sell it for a new one, you will be disappointed

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Honda is really slow in fixing all the problems with the new bikes. I understand it is a completely new ST1800, it is not a full touring bike anymore, but a BIG sport tourer.
I have no reason to trade my 2012, which only had a few problems on a new one. Plus I can do most of the maintenance myself. Don't need a degree in IT to understand it.

·
Registered
16,629 Posts
I need (want) to get major suspension upgrade. (Had to do that even to a greater extent on my 2002). I had to get my seat modified. (Had to buy a better saddle for 2002 too.) I had to purchase a Zumo GPS. (Had to do that for my 2002 too). I had to do modifications to my 2002 to abate over heating and galvanic corrosion. (No such problem on this new edition.) My 2002 had frame recalls, over heating campaign that I avoided, potential frame cracks that should have been subject to recalls, brake recalls (I forget how many), and steering bearings that were not up to the task. So far, my 2018 has a FAR better reliability rating on my chart. Both are great bikes, they are NOT the same bike. Some will be more happy with the previous model and there are lots of them for sale. Some are more happy with the current production. Some people would not be happy with a fresh loaf of bread in each arm.

prs

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
New Honda's, mess all what goldwing was about, and the problem is, they will not correct it, sad.
If you have a old Goldwing, don't sell it for a new one, you will be disappointed
Are you speaking from experience? Have you even owned a 2018 or newer Goldwing? I have had a 1987, 2005 and a 2015, and my current Wing (2018) is the best by far.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I will keep my 2008. I don't see one thing of the 2018-up that would ever appeal to me. Things that don't appeal to me on the new GL1800 are just about everything I see. Never rode one, don't care to. I don't doubt it's fabulous for many riders with different criteria in what they look for. For me, no thanks. They should call it the Goldwing II, along the line of the Mustang II, or Bronco II. Same appeal to me as was on those 4 wheel things back when they were an "upgrade" to the older model, and history has not been kind to those.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Oh Boy.....thanks for the informative post Mr. newbie

Thanks for informing me about my 2019 Goldwing DCT Tour, I must have a huge smile on my face every time I ride because I just farted.
I must ride way more miles than ever before because I absolutely hate the bike.
I must have sold two prior GL1800's (2001 & 2009) and went to the BMW K1600, because it was such a great bike.

Thanks for the heads up........I'm so NOT disappointed

·
Registered
281 Posts
Honda had a choice to make. Their existing market is aging out and they chose to appeal to a younger riding set. That being said, I'm not a younger rider, but have always ridden sport touring bikes (mostly BMW). In my case, Honda gained a sale. I would have never purchased one of the previous generation wings. I was looking at either a new BMW or Triumph when the wing came out.

Even though I don't have a DCT (didn't see the need for me) I'm pretty happy with the bike so far. It IS an ST1800, which is why I purchased it...

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I will keep my 2008. I don't see one thing of the 2018-up that would ever appeal to me. Things that don't appeal to me on the new GL1800 are just about everything I see. Never rode one, don't care to. I don't doubt it's fabulous for many riders with different criteria in what they look for. For me, no thanks. They should call it the Goldwing II, along the line of the Mustang II, or Bronco II. Same appeal to me as was on those 4 wheel things back when they were an "upgrade" to the older model, and history has not been kind to those.
You see nothing that you like about the 2018 but yet you are always here on the 2018 board. :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
THE SKY IS FALLING!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
My 08 is set up as a full long-distance ironbutt bike. Some of y'all have seen it. My 18 DCT is lacking in many of the features my 08 has.

However, my 08 didn't come out of the box all set up. Neither did the 18. But I do like them both. Will the 18 replace my 08 for the LD rides? Time will tell. For now, keeping them both, as they both put a smile on my face.

😁

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
My 2018 is not perfect but neither was the 2014 BMW K1600GTL Exclusive that I traded in. The seat is not good for me, it has been modified. The wind screen lifting mechanism could be improved. Stock it moves in a parallel movement, BMW’s changes the angle as it raises. Most problems can be resolved with time and money.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Honda had a choice to make. Their existing market is aging out and they chose to appeal to a younger riding set. That being said, I'm not a younger rider, but have always ridden sport touring bikes (mostly BMW). In my case, Honda gained a sale. I would have never purchased one of the previous generation wings. I was looking at either a new BMW or Triumph when the wing came out.

Even though I don't have a DCT (didn't see the need for me) I'm pretty happy with the bike so far. It IS an ST1800, which is why I purchased it...
I agree with your opinion, even though I don't have the newer model. I think traditional "Goldwingers" are aging-out, and Honda needs to attract younger riders to the GL line. I think Harley is still trying to figure its way through this issue, too. I'll freely admit, I'm an "ole pot bellied fart" who likes to watch the trees go by @ the "double nickel", but I would like to see younger riders at some rest stops though! I'm thinking these corporations need to make touring bikes more affordable and fun, for younger folks with moderate incomes to join in on the fun!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought a new GW in 1975. I loved it and have looked at every model since then. Each new model got farther away from what I want in a bike. Not enough people were buying the old bike. It was time for something different!

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
The fishin' in this hole looks pretty good today. :rolleyes: :LOL:

1 - 20 of 103 Posts