GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

Registered
Yeah, but a good conversation, overall. Cheers-
Agreed. Constructive criticism is ALWAYS a good thing.

Like when your mother-in-law pulls you aside and says, "Here's why you're a failure and will never be good enough for my daughter."

Tim

Registered
Maybe if Fluke had a 18+ Wing he wouldn't be trolling so much and riding more. Don't criticize a bike you've never ridden. Maybe you and Miguel should buy houses next to each other so you guys could hangout with each other everyday and bash the new Wing.....Every time I go out and ride I keep waiting for the DCT to break down like Fluke says it will. I'm still waiting. And waiting. The suspense is killing me.

Registered
I've come to realise there are 5 types of people on these threads...
  1. Trolls stirring the pot (hey Fluke!).
  2. Owners of pre-2018 models who are annoyed that their bike isn't the latest/greatest anymore, can't or don't want to pay the money for the new one, and are desperate to find reasons to hate it so they can feel satisfied that they're not missing out anyway. This is human nature, I know I feel a bit like this whenever tech companies bring out new versions of products I own with features I don't have on my older version.
  3. Owners of pre-2018 models who have genuinely tried out the new bike, with the intent of buying, and have found something about it they can't live with. Storage is probably the thing.
  4. Owners of 2018+ bikes who spent a lot of money, and are trying to convince themselves they made a good call in purchasing it.
  5. Owners of 2018+ bikes who love them, and want to defend them - as is also human nature when you see people criticising, unfairly in your opinion, the things you love. They don't want people to read these threads and incorrectly think everyone hates the 2018+ when they know that they, at least, think it's a great bike.
People in category 2 will claim that they're in category 3; people in category 4 will claim that they're in category 5. You will never prove one way or the other whether that's true. That said, people who claim to be in category 3 who have never made the effort to test ride the bike I find suspicious, personally.

Registered
I've come to realise there are 5 types of people on these threads...
  1. Trolls stirring the pot (hey Fluke!).
  2. Owners of pre-2018 models who are annoyed that their bike isn't the latest/greatest anymore, can't or don't want to pay the money for the new one, and are desperate to find reasons to hate it so they can feel satisfied that they're not missing out anyway. This is human nature, I know I feel a bit like this whenever tech companies bring out new versions of products I own with features I don't have on my older version.
  3. Owners of pre-2018 models who have genuinely tried out the new bike, with the intent of buying, and have found something about it they can't live with. Storage is probably the thing.
  4. Owners of 2018+ bikes who spent a lot of money, and are trying to convince themselves they made a good call in purchasing it.
  5. Owners of 2018+ bikes who love them, and want to defend them - as is also human nature when you see people criticising, unfairly in your opinion, the things you love. They don't want people to read these threads and incorrectly think everyone hates the 2018+ when they know that they, at least, think it's a great bike.
People in category 2 will claim that they're in category 3; people in category 4 will claim that they're in category 5. You will never prove one way or the other whether that's true. That said, people who claim to be in category 3 who have never made the effort to test ride the bike I find suspicious, personally.
hahaha you are correct. You should have experienced the wack jobs when I had a slingshot. The crazies came out of the woodwork in droves. The same ones who have never seen one , touched one let alone ridden one. A friend of mine test rode an 18 wing and was horrified seeing the suspension going up and down and said who wants to see that. I said your supposed to be looking where your going. THEY are out there ; just like the trolls here.

Registered
You forgot about owners of something but a Gold Wing, looking at the 2018+ and wondering what a crazy bunch you all are. Of course same for the folks currently riding something else, being crazy I mean.

I currently ride a BMW GS and can't find a place to put my Super Automatic Espresso Machine on the wing even after checking the aftermarket........ I will probably have to pick up a smaller espresso machine sized like the passenger seat. Being familiar with the Canbus from BMW already will help me wire it up without issue....

Registered
Well gang,
Not here to argue one way or the other about any year Wing being better or not. Been riding for over 40 years and, about 35 of those have been on various Wings.
I have enjoyed the most fabulously well designed touring motorcycle for all those years and NEVER complained. My last one was an 鈥08 level II and I just traded it in, with only 35k on the clock, for a brand new 2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT.
Guys, at 67 years old, I was just plain tired of muscling that 900 lb. big girl around. We鈥檇 not done any long distance riding for quite some time ant the Wing sat more and more.
I saw the A/T at a dealership while taking the Wing in for the brake recall and folks, that was all she wrote! I thought long and hard about it and, me and the CEO talked extensively on making the move to the Twin.
I鈥檓 incredibly happy with this new bike. The Wing is a whole different animal and I thoroughly enjoyed all of mine for all those years. I鈥檓 not as well off as some of you so, I can鈥檛 own both.
Maybe someday, I might venture my way back to a Wing. But for the present, talk about ear-to-ear smiles, you can sure see mine on that new Twin. I still enjoy participating on here. You boys and girls take care and have fun riding, no matter what year Wing you鈥檙e on.
Scott

Registered
When I purchased my first Wing at age 27, nobody told me it was an old mans bike. I have had 2 GL1832's. The 1833 DCT is by far my favorite of 6 that I have owned. I don't like the storage space but it is the most fun to ride.

Registered
I don't mind a bit of fishing today since nothing to do, light bulbs are all clean, door knobs disinfected. I bought a Goldwing in 1978 as a sport bike. By the time I needed/wanted a new one they had become the ubiquitous grand tourer so I had to wait 40 years for Honda to realize its a motorcycle. (not a flag carrying, trailer towing, mini RV)
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha love it. describes what the oldwingers are looking for in a bike.

I don't necessarily agree. WE are aging...but right behind us is another generation that will outgrow (at least somewhat) their sport bikes and want a bit more refined comfort on their ride. You don't see Honda phasing out their STs or other sport-minded models because the teens coming up want something different.

If they were going to 'change' a line - why not the STs? The '18-'20 Goldwings are basically larger STs anyway.

I'm not trying to sound 'whiny' because I actually DO love my '18 - my only gripe is the loss of storage. The rest is pure bliss. It's more nimble and lighter than my '08 was (not that the '08 was bad, mind you...I loved it, as well).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...I would say, however...if people don't actually own - they shouldn't be expressing those opinions - as they have no basis for that opinion.
ummm the loss of storage and other refinements are what make it the nimble you like. cant have samsonites hanging off the thing and it be nimble.

I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I disagree wholeheartedly with the second part. Why should one have to actually purchase something they don't want or like just to give opinions? There's obviously a reason why one doesn't have it. I chose a NOS 2017 for several reasons - it wasn't a no-brainer - it was based on research, test rides and personal preference. My opinion is just as valid as anybody else's. And in some cases, actual owners give faulty/false information that even I, as a non-owner, am aware of and can correct.
yes and no. yes, you did your research and you were specific as to the things you wanted in a bike that didnt have to be ridden to be determined. but if you dont ride the bike, how can you see if its pluses outweigh its negatives? NO GW was ever perfect. you guys added, subtracted, fabricated, towed all kinds of things to make it perfect. this one is the same way. by the way, i havent agreed with a lot of things youve said in the past but i respect how you came to the conclusion this wasnt the bike for you.

Registered
New Honda's, mess all what goldwing was about, and the problem is, they will not correct it, sad.
If you have a old Goldwing, don't sell it for a new one, you will be disappointed
I wrote a blog for Rider Mag after test riding a 2018 Wing. I think you are missing the point of the new wing. In my article I said that if they were building this new Wing for the Aging goldwing base it would have had 3 wheels. This is bringing in younger riders who want to start touring and not on their sport bikes. I purchased a 2018 Tour DCT and I love it. I owned an 05 Wing and an 08 ST1300 which I sold both. This new bike is in-between . You can now run the canyons like my ST and still ride Denver to Chicago in comfort. Harley is in trouble because they are having a very hard time replacing their big tourers for sales to younger riders. The aging out Harley riders are fighting it. Thats why they have closed down the Harley Plant in KC. If all you are after is a Tourer that handles extremely well stay with your Gen 5 (01-17). But if you want a Bike that does it all well buy a Gen 6.

Chard Member
I wrote a blog for Rider Mag after test riding a 2018 Wing. I think you are missing the point of the new wing. In my article I said that if they were building this new Wing for the Aging goldwing base it would have had 3 wheels. This is bringing in younger riders who want to start touring and not on their sport bikes. I purchased a 2018 Tour DCT and I love it. I owned an 05 Wing and an 08 ST1300 which I sold both. This new bike is in-between . You can now run the canyons like my ST and still ride Denver to Chicago in comfort. Harley is in trouble because they are having a very hard time replacing their big tourers for sales to younger riders. The aging out Harley riders are fighting it. Thats why they have closed down the Harley Plant in KC. If all you are after is a Tourer that handles extremely well stay with your Gen 5 (01-17). But if you want a Bike that does it all well buy a Gen 6.
Why would a 鈥測ounger鈥 person want to pay twice as much for a Wing rather than buy a FJR or Concours?

Being younger, chances are they don鈥檛 have time to appreciate a touring bike. They are working full time and raising families! It鈥檚 a good chance they are also paying student loans and mortgages. Is 鈥渢ouring鈥 just a weekend thing now?

What does the new Wing do twice as good as the Yamaha or Kawasaki?

I鈥檓 actually serious with these questions. Why would a younger person want a $30k bike just sitting in a garage where a $15k will do the same thing?

Buy and ride what you enjoy!

Registered
Why would a 鈥測ounger鈥 person want to pay twice as much for a Wing rather than buy a FJR or Concours?

Being younger, chances are they don鈥檛 have time to appreciate a touring bike. They are working full time and raising families! It鈥檚 a good chance they are also paying student loans and mortgages. Is 鈥渢ouring鈥 just a weekend thing now?

I鈥檓 actually serious with these questions. Why would a younger person want a $30k bike just sitting in a garage where a $15k will do the same thing?

Because they would want the extra comfort, weather protection and electronics that the wing offers over a FJ or the Kawasaki.

Registered

Ridiculous post. I鈥檓 36 and once rode from Denver to Alaska and back over about a month. I have many other long distance tours under my belt, in both the North America and Europe. I have a full time day job. You are aware that employers give their employees the ability to take days off usually, right?

Registered
Ridiculous post. I鈥檓 36 and once rode from Denver to Alaska and back over about a month. I have many other long distance tours under my belt, in both the North America and Europe. I have a full time day job. You are aware that employers give their employees the ability to take days off usually, right?
It might be ridiculous if you ignore everything else he said and focused on just one thing. I don't know many people in their 30s who have no familiies, mortages, student loans and kids - let alone be able to take a month off at once. I was close to that but never discovered the GoldWing until I was 37. :(

I'd say you were/are an exception to the average guy in his 30s. I'm a little jealous, actually.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts