GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2007 Goldwing yesterday. Nav and comfort. What a bike! First things first, I need to get the audio set up. I haven't bought anything yet, so all options are open. All help is appreciated. Here is where I am at so far:

I am leaning towards an Ipod with custom earplug speakers. I will be using a full face helmet, looking at the Arai Profile because they have the color match to the bike, which is dark red. I want to have the Ipod powered from the bike, and at the same time want to be able to control the Ipod, either directly or by remote. I will also be adding a passenger hookup with earplug speakers. And let's not forget the cell phone.

Questions:

Wingstuff.com has an Accessory ipod Adaptor Kit For Fairing Aux, item EC03120. This looks like a good adapter for the Ipod. Anyone have experience with this? The drawback is that it won't work for a Nano. I was thinking the Nano will be a good choice because it uses flash memory and will not lock up.

Any advice on the best model of Ipod to buy?

I am looking at EdSet's Helmet Buddy with a mic. His web site mentions an Ear Buddy Adapter, but I don't find a description of it, so I don't if I should have one or not. Any opinions?

I also want to be able to use my Razor cell phone with this, but I have not researched anything on that yet. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Have I covered everything I might need?

JoeL

·
Registered
918 Posts
I went through two of those iPod adapters and didn't like it. The iPod would lock up often.

I ended up running a long audio cable to the trunk, put a cigarette lighter power adapter in the trunk, got an iPod charger/power adapter and then used the iJet wireless controller. The iPod is locked up in the trunk, I can power it up/down, change songs, etc. I had a case for my iPod that you can wear on your belt that is made to handle shock so I just lay the iPod above the CB, cut a piece out of a large sponge that lies between the iPod and the CB access lid and lock-ups are a thing of the past.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you can afford it, the Autocom Intercom System is the way to go in my opinion to get the best sound and be able to talk to your passenger. I got the Super Pro AVI System and you can plug a cell phone into it along with an IPOD. I have the 30 gig IPOD and the wireless Ijet Remote that plugs into the bottom of the IPOD and gets powered via the USB connection at the bottom of the IPOD where it plugs in. You can then put it in a pouch or wherever and then velcro the remote so you can then change songs, playlists, etc. control volume.

You can also hook up a 2 way radio or CB to it. I bought the Motorola T7400 12 mile 2-way GMRS radios for bike to bike communication.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've used the EC iPod adapter with an iPod mini for nearly a year now, and love it. I use the Honda headsets, which are made by J&M. I don't use a remote - I just put it in shuffle mode and ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I just ordered the Autocom Super Pro AVi, with adapters for my cell phone and other stuff they convinced me I need. It will also let me use my Rino 530 as an FRS radio, which was an unexpected bonus. I should have it next week!

JoeL

·
Registered
206 Posts
Also, recommend looking strongly at the NOLAN N-102 N-COM Full Face Flip-Up Helmet with small sunvisor attached which is cool and do what i did. Let Autocom install their speakers/mic etc. into the helmet and you will just love it!!! For $280 you can't beat it and it is quiet and comfortable and nice looking!!!!

Getting ready to buy one for my wife!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts