GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my bike 2/13, thats right friday the 13th, and have been able to put just under 300 miles on it as of today.

During the first 100 miles I noticed that the cord for the headset was creating a mark on the left side of the tank. This mark will not polish out and appears to be a series of scratches. I use some abrasive polish and it remove alot of the mark, but it came right back after another few miles of riding. The cord appears to be in good condition and only the rubber could touch the tank.

As I sit on the bike the cord does not touch anything. It does touch the tank as I reach foreward to push the display button or something like that, but this is very seldom. There are also some marks begining to show up on both sides of the tank where my knees touch.

My bikes is a 2004 candy black cherry.

Honda says rub it out after every ride and don't let the cord touch anything. This seems excessive to me and seems like rubbing the mark out will wear through the paint very soon.

Has anyone else seen this type of problem?? Any info would be really appriciated.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I haven't seen any complaints of the cord rubbing the tank. Do you keep it in the cord keeper while riding. Some have complained about their knees rubbing the tank. I haven't had that problem in over two years of riding. I try to stay mindful of not letting my legs rub. Here is a link for some pads on ebay, something to consider. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=34284

I did have some problem with the rear cord rubbing the saddlebag. What I did to solve this was cut the top out of the holder and run a zip tie around it so that it is anchored in the holder. If one didn't want to cut the holder, a front holder could be installed in this location which has an open top.

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
If it's a problem couldn't you use some of those clear tank protectors. I guess it is vinyl that sticks to the painted surface without harming it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I also had a problem with the cord rubbing on the LH side of the shelter. It seems to be related to how tall the rider is. I am about 5'9" and had the rubbing problem, a friend of mine who is much taller had no problem at all. After rubbing out the scratch marks for what seemed like the 100th time, I came up with the following solution. I found an old pair of wool gloves liners (size small) and cut the middle finger off it. I then cut the fingertip off the removed glove finger, slipped it over the cord and Voila, no more scratches. I found that the place to fit the "finger" over the cord (at least for me) was at the bottom of the coiled section, just before the cord straightens out. Hope this helps.

markie

·
Registered
82 Posts
I ended up with a mark on the shelter from the cord on my Airrider headset also. I was able to buff out about 95% of the mark using BOMS AWAY polish. My solution was to flip the cord around to the front side of the handlebar after I plug it in. By routing the cord in front (toward the front of the bike) of the handlebar it never comes close to the shelter. I am not familiar with other brands, but the Airrider has a fairly long curly cord so there is no problem with restriction of movement using this method.

Good luck.

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
I do about the same as Landlord, drape the cord over the left handgrip, works good for me but occasionaly I forget and get the same rub mark. When those wireless headsets get here they should solve these cord problems for good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
[Honda needs to use a better quality paint. Remember, the bean counters are building the bikes these days..telling the engineer, NO!

·
Registered
787 Posts
A simple Big Bike Parts cord clip solved my problem. They are available from our sponsor HDL in either black or chrome.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We with :sw1: do also have this problem but we don´t see it. Very good color for hiding scratches and dust.

Take care of the cord for the passenger.
The trunklid makes real deep marks in the paint and later, goes down in the plastic. :cry: Have a look at erlier posts in how to protect it.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
same problem with my 02 black.Like others I route my cord over the left side of the handlebars just inside the grip.

I used some BMW kneepads to stop my knees from chafing the tank.

I used Maquar's Scratch X to remove any scratches

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
This is not as much of a paint issue as a color issue. The darker colors are going to show this kind of "chafing" much, much easier than lighter ones.

My two show cars are painted "twilight blue" (a dark blue) and "midnight wine" (a dark, dark maroon). Anything that rubs across the clearcoat, with a light coating of dust is going to leave marks in the clearcaot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts