GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded in my 13 F6B for a leftover 18 Airbag. Love the new bike. I'm a little concerned about engine heat though. It's not 1st gen Concours 14 heat but it's way more than my F6B. I only have 500 miles on it so maybe it will cool down after break-in. Anyone else notice the heat?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don't notice any heat off of mine. While the bike may be putting off heat, I am either wearing leather or Gore-Tex suits so that could have a lot to do with me not feeling any heat from the bike.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Noticed when I first got mine year and half ago.
Went away after breaking in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Not any more heat than what my 2015 Level III put out.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have not noticed any difference in engine heat from the first day I bought my 2018. The same as my 2012 wing. Just the nature of the beast. The temp gauge will let you know if it is overheating.

Reactions: Kenichi and thekid

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I notice left side engine heat. It is noticeable, but not unbearable.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I have not noticed any heat coming off the engine on my 2018. There have been some days I wished there was.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not noticed any difference in engine heat from the first day I bought my 2018. The same as my 2012 wing. Just the nature of the beast. The temp gauge will let you know if it is overheating.
Not worried about the bike. It's at 3 bars like a rock no matter what the ambient temp. I'm concerned about comfort on this expensive machine. It wasn't the nature of my much less expensive F6B or most of my bikes over the past 50+ years.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think this sensitivity is closely tied to your route and your gear.

I wear gear that pretty much insulates me from radiation off the bike, so one bike’s the same as the next for me.

Between Sidi boots that run well up the calf, and Vanson lined, textile, armored pants that must be a sixteenth of an inch thick at their thinnest, the heat off the bike is a non-issue, except if the pants are melting due to inadvertent contact with an exhaust pipe.

I think it may have been one of my FJRs that actually melted one of my pant cuffs.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
keep your knees into the faring. putting them out past the edge of the faring puts them into the heat stream from the radiators. keep your knees in the cut outs in the faring there is not heat there and you get some cool breeze from the side

1 - 20 of 27 Posts