GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hey Honda, have you been paying attention? BMW's been releasing press on this one for over a year and unlike Honda and HD, the BMW already meets the new Euro' emission standards.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Looks like a GTL to me.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
What a unique ideal, Honda really do need to pay attention and maybe come out with something like a F6b. Oh wait.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Have to admit that I like it but I won't be trading in the Wing any time soon.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I was, at first, all "wow that looks incredible"...but the longer I looked at the pictures, the more meh it became.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
If it is anything like the top heavy GTL, it will be a poor handling bike at slow speed prone to being dropped with jerky throttle response and a poor shifting transmission
LOL...tell us how you really feel. :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My first impulse equated the bike to a Victory Vision or Cross Country.

Reactions: JGDJR

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Looks like a Honda St 1300 to me. IMHO.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
My cousin has a new 1600 BMW GTL. I'm afraid to even walk by it let alone ride it. Tip over in the garage equates to about $3000 if it happens. I'm not going near that thing, and he can pay the BMW dipwad mechanics to do the valves. Luckilly he's pretty well off and doesn't mind shelling out money. A rich mans motorcycle. Not for every day riders. I like BMW, but not in my comfort zone. I had one once and got the idea of the "BMW experience" and it was a pretty hard lesson learned.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'll stick to the wing. Rode the GTL and I'll admit it was a fun bike bike definitely not a wing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If it is anything like the top heavy GTL, it will be a poor handling bike at slow speed prone to being dropped with jerky throttle response and a poor shifting transmission
My cousin has a new 1600 BMW GTL. I'm afraid to even walk by it let alone ride it. Tip over in the garage equates to about $3000 if it happens. I'm not going near that thing, and he can pay the BMW dipwad mechanics to do the valves. Luckilly he's pretty well off and doesn't mind shelling out money. A rich mans motorcycle. Not for every day riders. I like BMW, but not in my comfort zone. I had one once and got the idea of the "BMW experience" and it was a pretty hard lesson learned.
I have two of the Beemers: 1- 2013 K1600GTL 1- 2014 K1600GTL-Exclusive. I can assure you the above comments are pure crapola! And no I am not a filthy rich rider but I am wrench handy.
I can check the valves in the time it takes to replace the Wings air filter if done per the book.
BTW, I do like the Wing, just not exciting enough for me in the twisties.
Pure internet BS.

Reactions: Rail32 and Jak

·
Registered
8,799 Posts

:agree:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
If you want lighter weight (than a Goldwing), adequate real world power and affordability than go out and get a CTX 1300 Deluxe and buy the trunk and higher windshield. Some dealers are giving them away as all new 2014 models at the 10K to 11K price point (original MSRP $17K).

We almost considered a CTX 1300 Deluxe to reduce our overall weight when we put a bike in our Toyhauler. I think we are close to but not over our max weight (for the Toyhauler) when the Wing is in the Toyhaler however our Highlander pulls everything well (I know it is tough to comprehend).

I just wanted everyone to know about those great CTX deals out there for those that can afford a second scoot.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have two of the Beemers: 1- 2013 K1600GTL 1- 2014 K1600GTL-Exclusive. I can assure you the above comments are pure crapola! And no I am not a filthy rich rider but I am wrench handy.
I can check the valves in the time it takes to replace the Wings air filter if done per the book.
BTW, I do like the Wing, just not exciting enough for me in the twisties.
Pure internet BS.
......and I strongly agree.

I have never bought a motorcycle to see what the bill would be if it tipped over. I have never bought a car or pickup with the plan if I will hit an 18 wheeler and what the repair cost will be.

My BMW GTL has 34,000 miles on it and I had the valves checked for the first time 500 miles ago. The bill was $520. I had the valves checked on #2 1800 Wing at 45,000 miles and it cost $182.00

From my experience, the Wing has the comfort factor but the K1600 is tons of fun to ride.

The Wing is a great bike in SOOOO many ways, but the K1600 is not a rich man's bike nor is it a money pit as some want to believe.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If you want lighter weight (than a Goldwing), adequate real world power and affordability than go out and get a CTX 1300 Deluxe and buy the trunk and higher windshield. Some dealers are giving them away as all new 2014 models at the 10K to 11K price point (original MSRP $17K).

We almost considered a CTX 1300 Deluxe to reduce our overall weight when we put a bike in our Toyhauler. I think we are close to but not over our max weight (for the Toyhauler) when the Wing is in the Toyhaler however our Highlander pulls everything well (I know it is tough to comprehend).

I just wanted everyone to know about those great CTX deals out there for those that can afford a second scoot.
I took a new CTX 1300 for a test ride twice. I really liked the bike. Very light on the handling, very smooth, really good power, very comfortable riding position, and the prices out there, as said, are great. I was looking for something more sporty, so I went elsewhere.

Too bad the bike has not sold well, I believe looks turned off a lot of potential buyers.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts