GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DWG has over 52k on the clock now and I noticed the brakes were taking more pressure to get them to stop. So on a whim I stopped and picked up three sets of EBC Pads.
Rode to a friends house about half way home for me. Replaced the OEM Honda pads and headed for home. I was a little disappointed because they Made noise when you weren't on them.
This morning I kinda forgot about the fact that I had changed them and on my way in to work I came to this turn as I do everymorning and grabbed the front brake and stepped on the rear. Almost came to a complete stop when All I needed to do was slow to around 40 mph for this turn. :shock:
These things must have broken in on the ride home last Night and Now work GREAT. Lets see how they last.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
DWG has over 52k on the clock now and I noticed the brakes were taking more pressure to get them to stop. So on a whim I stopped and picked up three sets of EBC Pads.
<...>
In 52k, how worn were they; they'd never been replaced??

Wow...I'm at about 27k, and was wondering if it was time to shoot a set into the front. The back looked decent when I had the wheel off to replace the tire...I can start to feel a small loss of braking power. That might just be brake fluid wear as well.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
out of three four pads up front only one looked like it was about to the wear grooves. I guess thats what they are on the OEM Pads.
The EBCs don't have these grooves though.
I don't know if they have been replaced or not. I'll have to look at my schedule and see.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Just changed my brakes @ 31k,my front left was down to the wear indicator,right and rear had a little bit of life still...
All new pads are like day and night :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I put a set of EBC pads in a 92 Gold Wing I had, they made so much noise when stopping I took them out and replaced them with OEM and never used them again. Good luck with yours, I'm sure they have improved over the years.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put a set of EBC pads in a 92 Gold Wing I had, they made so much noise when stopping I took them out and replaced them with OEM and never used them again. Good luck with yours, I'm sure they have improved over the years.

Yea this morning I didn't hear anything.
They are working Great.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
replaced my fronts at 36k, the fronts were shot the rear are still good.
I am changing my braking technic I am now using the front and the rear equally .
Also I will be checking them and cleaning the pistons more closely, I had 1 piston that was not working properly. I don't know for how long but when I was changing the pads I found that 1 was not working.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
i replaced my at about 37k. the dealer said there was a good 10k more if need be but i thought hey they had the front tire off so how much harder to do the brakes. had them done front and back. ordered them from hal as the prices in canada are rediculus

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
to me it seems like the old pads should have been stopping just as good as the brandnew pads, hopefully u cleaned the pistons very good with brake cleaner and a toothbrush before u pushed them in ?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hey Tom. When did you disable the ADV? That would make your left pad thinner than the rest. It should wear better now that its bypassed.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just replace mine with 41,600 on them. Rear was still go to go but fronts were shot esp the left front. The had good even wear on them to.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Do you guys even use your brakes?

I got 12K to near-worn-out on factory pads. I got 8K to rubbing metal on EBC. In all cases, new pads of any brand feel real gud. I believe I get better value from the honda pads.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I believe I get better value from the honda pads.
I tried EBC once on my 1200, didn't like them at all, sense then I've used nothing but Honda OEM on all my bikes.
OEM's do seem to last longer.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Someone asked , now I have the answer.
The previous owner of DWG kept a log of every gas up and anything done to the bike.
Looks like the front brakes were changed around 19k, They were OEM.
So the front pads lasted 19k the first time and then 33k the second time. Both on OEM Pads. Now time will tell how well these EBCs Last.
They Sure as hell grab better. :shock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts