GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know before I had this mounted if this is the right one.
I ordered a Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 130/70/18 for the front but I did notice it is a Blas Tire not a Radial.
Did I get the right one ?
Also If it is when I put the Dyna Beads in is it 2ozs ?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I ordered a Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 130/70/18 for the front but I did notice it is a Blas Tire not a Radial.

Yes it is bias ply.

Most use 2oz dyna beads in the front and 3oz for a Car tire in the rear if you are going double darkside.

Jury seems to be split on whether running the bt45 backwards or forwards is the hot setup. I plan to run mine forward based on the fact that the sipes are made to work in that direction for water dispersion. Other than the sipe design not sure what would influence the rotation direction in the design. IE I don't think there is anything internal in the construction that makes the tire directional.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
:agree: What he said.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
NOPE WRONG TIRE ! WONT WORK ON ORANGE BIKE ! GIVE IT TO ME AND I'LL WEAR IT OUT FOR YA SO YOUR MONEY ISN'T WASTED:bow::bow::lol:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NOPE WRONG TIRE ! WONT WORK ON ORANGE BIKE ! GIVE IT TO ME AND I'LL WEAR IT OUT FOR YA SO YOUR MONEY ISN'T WASTED:bow::bow::lol:
Thanks John my Old Buddy :thumbup:

For the ones on here that have this tire do you notice any bouncing or vibration like some do ?

·
Registered
67 Posts

For the ones on here that have this tire to you notice any bouncing or vibration like some do ?

I've put about 4k on mine without feeling a vibration or bouncing. Balanced with stick on weights.

Oh, running in forward direction also.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts

For the ones on here that have this tire to you notice any bouncing or vibration like some do ?
Hi Gary. Some have noticed a "buzzing" in the handle bars, as I recall BikerJohn didn't care for it and gave his tire to ?? (can't remember for sure, been a couple of years). I haven't noticed it, and the guys I ride with haven't noticed it either. Now I do get a "hum" type noise when going into an aggressive sweeper or tight turn as the tire starts running on the side versus down the middle. It's not bad, just a noticeable sound difference.

I run mine forward direction - the old reasons for bias tire belt separation based on rotation is no longer valid with todays manufacturing techniques. So I run the way it was meant to mount - works for me. The water dispersion is valid, but only at a higher speed and higher water depth - again based on current techniques of manufacturer (think of all the car tires that are mounted 'inside-out' regarding sidewall placement.

There have been some reports of getting a bad tire and having some issues with bouncing/wobble - but that's with any tire. Anyhow - I like the tire.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
imho
If I lived and rode regularly in Florida, I'd have the best wet weather tire on the front that money could buy.
If you don't count all the seniors, he only real road challenge is wet weather riding, and that happens quite often there.
imho

Dennis

·
Registered
957 Posts
Presently I'm running the Michelin Pilot on front, and the buzzing seems much more pronounced than with the BT-45. I will be going back to the 'Stone on my next change.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My BT 45 is mounted forward with 2 oz of dynabeads. I get buzz/vibration at about 35 mph, but goes away at highway speeds.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Gary, using the BT45 (rear tire) on the front, I think it's 10/32 tread, works great, and lasts much longer than the BT45 (front tire). A very good driving tire, but then I have a trike and use Ride On Tire Sealant. However, I did use the BT45 (rear tire) on the front when I was ride two wheels and it performs well. Ride on ain't cheap, but I'm comfortable on the journey with the added protection and balance. Had to fight with the dealer to get it mounted, go figure. Had to sign a hold harmless on the invoice.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Just got back from the Tennessee Lunch Run and now have 26,447 miles on my BT-45 and it still rides smooth as glass.

It also has 5/32 of the original 9/32 tread depth. I keep it around 40+ psi and have always run 2 oz. of Dyna Beads.

I suggest that you raise the front tire off the floor a little and spin it to see if it has some out of round problem. Rig up some kind of dial indicator to check for out of round etc.

Lastly, find a stretch of new asphalt pavement and ride for a few miles at different speeds to see if there is any bouncing or vibration. Check the tire pressure too after you have ridden a few miles.

My buddy and I rode from Michigan to Jacksonville, Florida over a year ago in March. Started out at 37 degrees and by the time we got halfway to Florida and 75 degrees the tire pressure was so high it almost drove me nuts and the TPMS was off the scale. Lots and lots of BUZZ and vibration until I let some air out of the tires.

gramps

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I run the BT-45 on four of my bikes, including a 1500 and and 1800 Wing. I have run them mounted forwards and backwards and see no difference. Very little if any buzzing. And they all are running smoothly. None of the tires have a lot of mileage on them. I had one BT-45 split badly in the tread and replaced it. According to the code on the tire it was less than four years old. When I back my bikes out of the garage on asphalt or concrete, when the bikes lean a bit, can feel unevenness on the left side of the front tire. But it is not noticeable when riding forward.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
gary on my 2nd bt45 rear on front - real happy 40/41 lbs . no bounce ! have beads in it .

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Guys.
I'm still not sold on the Tire but
I think I will mount it after the SMRI.
If I don't like it I will go back to the 709.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Gary, my BT45 has about 12500 miles on it mounted in reverse rotation and running 38 psi. I have 5/32 tread left in the center but starting to wear on the sides a little but I tend to be a little aggressive at times. :twisted: I like the tire, the buzz is no big deal, the tire shines in the rain. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Gary, hope the BT45 works out for ya, I can't speak to the 709 since I've never used it. I've used the BT45, so I'm not changing what work for me. You know the opinions can be on oil and tires, all over the lot.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Hi Gary. Some have noticed a "buzzing" in the handle bars, as I recall BikerJohn didn't care for it and gave his tire to ?? (can't remember for sure, been a couple of years). I haven't noticed it, and the guys I ride with haven't noticed it either. Now I do get a "hum" type noise when going into an aggressive sweeper or tight turn as the tire starts running on the side versus down the middle. It's not bad, just a noticeable sound difference.

I run mine forward direction - the old reasons for bias tire belt separation based on rotation is no longer valid with todays manufacturing techniques. So I run the way it was meant to mount - works for me. The water dispersion is valid, but only at a higher speed and higher water depth - again based on current techniques of manufacturer (think of all the car tires that are mounted 'inside-out' regarding sidewall placement.

There have been some reports of getting a bad tire and having some issues with bouncing/wobble - but that's with any tire. Anyhow - I like the tire.
That was me that got Biker Johns BT45. He didn't like the buzzing at in town speeds, but, it has never bothered me. It's still there, up to about 30 mph then goes away.

After the TLR I have about 15k on the tire and it doesn't look like it's starting to wear yet. I fully expect to get 30k out of it.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Ok Gang,
I've read all the replies here and, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on picking up one of the BT-45 tires for the front. I'm currently running the Mich Pilot Active and, it's been on there for about 11,000 miles now and is kind of square. So, needless to say, I'm in the market for a front tire. Dennis kirk is having a sale on a popular front tire right now for about $96 but, IT'S BACK ORDERED! I hate back order stuff. To me, if you're going to have a sale, then stock the darn tires! So, my question to all of you is, where's the best place to order any front tire, much less the BT-45? I'm one of those that if I order it, I want it shipped, not wait months for them to make the darn things.
I'll most likely mount it myself, done a few of them. As for balancing, not sure what I'll use. I'm not a fan of beads, powders and rotating bearings but, I may try the beads once.
Scott

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Scott
I just got my BT45 in from Rocky Mountain ATV for $112 . If was shipped the same day I ordered It and got it 3 days later. Great Service !!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts