GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this from a friend. It may have been posted here before. However, I think it worth checking out again. There seems to be a lot of dated car tires tires being sold as new when some are 10 or more years old. Cheers...:doorag:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Stick..you are correct this was posted not long ago..

A rule of thumb I apply from being in the auto repair business.Is the Smell test before I ever knew about a DOT code..
If it smells like rubber than it has a good chance of being fresh..

You'd have to be around tires long enough to know what I'm saying..

Sort of like walking into a home with fresh baked cookies..Man do they smell good!
Next day the odor has dwindled quite a bit.
The following day is definitely not as aromatic as the first..
Same applies to tires,only fresh rubber holds it's aroma longer for a good tire guy..

But Thanks for posting this..Repetition is great to stimulate some from being to complacent about getting fresh CT's as well as front tires..

·
Registered
470 Posts
Stick,
Thanks for the good information. I didn't know about this and it will be one of the first things I look for when purchasing new sneakers. Thanks:flg: Semper-fi

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I will say to echo Trialsman thoughts. In the life of a WOCT (Wing on a CT) tire, a two year old tire is still pretty new. Cheers....:doorag:

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
stick405,
Good post. I have seen this before but it's good to refresh the memory!

Rocky,
I know what you are talking about on the smell of fresh rubber. I have been a truck mechanic/welder for over 26 years and have mounted unknown numbers of truck tires.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Rocky,
How much do you smell? Is like a snif? a snort? ... would it be better to smoke a little shaving of it?... :confused:

I grab a tire I was buying, following your advice, I pick it up and started smelling it and the salesguy ripped it off my arms and told me to get out of the store...GET OUT!...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts