GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my new CB from GL2Way three weeks ago but have not been able to test it because I have had my bike tore down inside my metal shop building and roll it outside to test the radio. I finally got it back together enough where I could get it outside my shop, rigged up an old GE CB in my pickup with a magnetic CB on the roof and proceeded to check out the CB on the bike as I live out in the country a ways and there is no CB signal close enough to pick up.

I parked the pickup about 150 feet away and had my wife transmit and my bike is receiving the signal loud and clear. I try to transmit back and nothing happens. The "TX" lights up on the dash but the radio puts out no signal. I installed an OEM CB antenna when I installed the radio and haven't checked the SWR but I wouldn't think it would keep the radio form transmitting altogether.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions what I could check? Otherwise, I will try to contact Pete Monday and see what he suggests.

Doug

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Three quick taps of the PTT to switch from FRS mode to CB mode? You should hear a single-beep to indicate it is on the CB to transmit. Double beep if you are controlling the FRS.

Another way to switch from FRS to CB and back is a quick up-down of the squelch. This one is easier to happen by 'accident' than the quick-three-taps incantation. The latest Firmware makes the squelch up-down an option.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
I installed my new CB from GL2Way three weeks ago but have not been able to test it because I have had my bike tore down inside my metal shop building and roll it outside to test the radio. I finally got it back together enough where I could get it outside my shop, rigged up an old GE CB in my pickup with a magnetic CB on the roof and proceeded to check out the CB on the bike as I live out in the country a ways and there is no CB signal close enough to pick up.

I parked the pickup about 150 feet away and had my wife transmit and my bike is receiving the signal loud and clear. I try to transmit back and nothing happens. The "TX" lights up on the dash but the radio puts out no signal. I installed an OEM CB antenna when I installed the radio and haven't checked the SWR but I wouldn't think it would keep the radio form transmitting altogether.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions what I could check? Otherwise, I will try to contact Pete Monday and see what he suggests.

Doug
As Salyzyn indicates you are most likely in second radio mode, set your squelch to 5 or 6 then hit the PTT 3 times fast you need to hear 1 beep not 2

Pete
BikeMP3

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding, Pete and Salzyn

I tried the remedy & got two beeps which tells me I was already in CB mode & it switched to FRS mode. At any rate, I switched back & forth in both modes and tried to transmit and could not receive anything on the radio in my truck from the bike. Still getting the "TX" indicator on the dash panel when I push the PTT switch. What else can I try?

Doug

·
Registered
805 Posts

I tried the remedy & got two beeps which tells me I was already in CB mode & it switched to FRS mode. At any rate, I switched back & forth in both modes and tried to transmit and could not receive anything on the radio in my truck from the bike. Still getting the "TX" indicator on the dash panel when I push the PTT switch. What else can I try?

Doug
Are you sure the CB in the truck is working correctly? Is the squelch set too high? Can you receive other CB signals in the truck? You may need to drive the truck somewhere so you can verify. If the truck is working properly, you probably need to call the manufacturer. If you can receive signals, then you should be able to transmit a few hundred feet regardless of SWR. However, I would definitely invest in a SWR meter for doing my own install. You won't have any significant range until the antenna is tuned.

·
Registered
601 Posts

Doug
I don't have the system but Pete did just say you want to hear 1 beep not 2.

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The truck CB is working fine; I'm just too far away to receive any clear transmissions from a 3rd party, but I can hear garbled talk on several channels.

The "beeps" Pete was talking about occur when the radio switches back & forth from FRS mode to CB mode. When I heard 2 beeps it indicated I was already in CB mode and was switching over to FRS mode. I then depressed the PTT button 3 times rapidly which emitted 1 beep, putting me back into CB mode.

Doug

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Antenna is always the best place to start with no TX if you reduce the squelch to 1 do you get noise?

What happens when you TX to the truck do you get nothing not even a carrier, put them next to each other and open the squelch on the truck then TX from the bike do you hear the dead carrier.

What does your SWR look like do you get any movement on the needle

Are you testing with the engine running just in case of low voltage.

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pete, it does sound like I'm getting a dead carrier, just no voice transmission. And the battery on the bike is fully charged. Where do I look for a SWR meter reading, on the bike or on the radio in the truck? I am not aware of any meter on the bike, but there is a meter on the radio in the truck. Does it register on an incoming signal?

Doug

·
Registered
17 Posts
Doug
It sounds like it might possibly be a headset/microphone problem? If you had the bike tore down maybe something got unplugged? Just a couple of ideas to check. Good Luck.
Mike

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Pete, it does sound like I'm getting a dead carrier, just no voice transmission. And the battery on the bike is fully charged. Where do I look for a SWR meter reading, on the bike or on the radio in the truck? I am not aware of any meter on the bike, but there is a meter on the radio in the truck. Does it register on an incoming signal?

Doug
The SWR is the reading taken when you tune your antenna to your new radio the meter is not on the bike you need to get one and use it to set your antenna up before you use the CB for too long or you can damage the transmitter, see the video for info.

OK so your getting carrier that means the CB is transmitting just not sound.

Check the seating of both the black connectors into the GL2WAY be fairly firm when pushing them in.

If you turn on your intercom with your headset on and the FM radio on when you talk does the radio mute down, if not then you have a MIC issue.

While its entirely possible that the GL2WAY is not passing sound we do test every unit before it leaves and it would be unusual.

Test you MIC first using the intercom

·
Registered
243 Posts
antenna connector?

Pete,
On a related note... I just watched your SWR video and remembered I have a SWR meter. I tried to hook it up and test things out, but the connector on my SWR is for a standard CB antenna (worked great with 2 other CB's I have) and it appears the GL2WAY uses a different connector. Looks like it may be similar to what is used on a handheld CB? Anyway, my question is, do you know of an adapter I can use to test out the SWR?

I have the combined AM/FM/CB antenna with the splitter...

Thanks!
Paul

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Depending which splitter you may need extra cables, if it is the Firestik then go to the splitter to test you already have standard connections there to use a standard patch lead on an SWR meter.

If you have the OEM type antenna then dont test at the radio go to the antenna junction under the seat you can use these cables from Sierra

The connector on the radio is a TNC they are not common in local stores.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-SWR12

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
For Y'all's interest only

The connector on the radio is a TNC they are not common in local stores.
Yes, it is a specialty item, but there are options for those that care. I crushed the 'B' part off the much-more-popular BNC, the result is something that slips-in right into that TNC connector. I have ground off the pair of ears on the other-sex BNC as an universal slip-in N-series connector as well. My HAM shack standard is the much larger N connectors and this slip in as well without modification in a pinch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts