GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my NEW Clearview Windshield last night. It was a breeze to do. Thanks Fred H. I had watched your video of the Windshield remove and replace. It all went just fine. Very fast to change it out. Less than an hour.

I got the tinted 29.5" with a vent. It was a gift from my wife and kids for Christmas. It just arrived via UPS on Monday.

I rode the wing into work today for a great test of the new shield. It was 35 degrees for a 52 mile commute. So far, So Good. I think I'm going to like it. Gets the wind up and over my head better. and around the sides.
I also have the Baker Built Air wings Full Kit. Combined with those this will be a great addition. So far the only thing I've noticed different as far as viewing is in the dark and with my face shield on my helmet down I was getting a double vision type effect from headlights... It's nothing serious but I did notice it.. It has something to do with refraction I guess between my faceshield and the windshield.. when I raise the face shield it goes away for the most part it's very minimally there with the face shield raised. that is the only thing that I noticed other than all the good things like no more wind on the top of my helmet!!! :lol:

I'm 6'-2" tall and I sit pretty high in the saddle... This windshield lets me look thru the shield at it's highest setting but if I need to I can still peek over the top. Haven't tried it all the way down yet.

Anyone else have a clearview windshield and have any comments? Good or Bad?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have the Clearview +4 that is tinted and vented. I don't do as much night riding as I used to, and I've never noticed the refraction, but I am happy with it and would replace it with another if something should happen to this one. It definitely helps the buffeting!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Clearview

Hello David, I had a Clearview on my Kawasaki Voyager and loved it. It was classified as a +3 for that bike. It's funny I saw your post just now because I've finally moved up to a 2002 Goldwing (Titanium of course :thumbup:) and I need to get a windshield. The one on the Goldwing is original and it really aged.

I haven't seen other posts about the Clearview brand and although some of the other brands talked about here sound great, they seem to be much more expensive.

I think I'll probably get another Clearview although for anyone reading this, here's a tip...order it in the winter. If you wait till spring to order from Clearview, they historically have had a terrible backlog. I know it's a good product because I had one before.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I have the Clearview +4 (same as Sammisgrammy) and I love it. I also have the Firecreek Windbender, which I love just as much.....so much that I can't decide which one to keep on the bike.
I'm only 6' max, and at it's highest level (Clearview) I can see thru it very well, and at it's lowest level, I can see over it very well. BTW, I have a 30" inseam, so my torso is a bit longer than usual. I currently have the Windbender installed, but will change back to the Clearview in the spring.

BOTH are excellent products !!!

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
I think that it was a Clearview that I put on my SEi. One of the things that I really liked was that it was acrylic, and if scratched could be polished back. Acrylic will shatter into sharp shards (under heavy impact), but acrylic shields on bikes are supposed to be made thicker to avoid shattering. They are also a bit stiffer. My SEi had a Markland polycarbonate windshield on it when I bought it, and it flopped a lot at speed. I had the dual vision effect with my Clearview at night, too - but only in the top 1" of the shield. When I need to replace the stock shield on the GL1800, it will probably be with a Clearview.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
wow i have an 03 titanium and never changed the windshield. i look at the road and not the shield so it never really bothers me. If it is not yellow or cracked then i will not change it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Clearview sheild

I have the +4 Clearview shield with the vent installed on my bike for over two years but have noticed two issues. On the positive, since I am 6"5' tall, it does significantly reduce buffeting and that is positive. The darkened portion of the shield at the bottom scratches and tears easily. I replaced that portion and added to velcro fuzzy part to the contact surface where the inside of the shield contacts the bike and that seemed to help that problem. The other problem is that when I added Baker wings to the mirrors, I encountered the following circumstance. i|In any type of moderate wind situation, the bike sort of (don't know the right word) flutters or sort of feels like unsteadiness you get when passing a large truck. The bike just isn't solid feeling. Take the Baker wings off and no problem. Result, took the wings off the bike. Any one else have a similar experiences with this shield or have suggestions to remedy this?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have been reviewing the various comments about most OEM windshields and have been leaning towards a ' Clearview' to help with wind buffetting for my wife. I think the taller and wider windshield will certainly help along with my Baker hand wings. I do not like looking through a windshield so I should be able to adjust to peak over. I am 6' 1".

Thanks for helping me make my decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts