GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
22,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the new inspection location for the most recently reported location. Inspect both left and right sides.

I highly encourage everyone to clean and inspect their frames carefully and often. Not only in this area, but all over. Check every weld you can access carefully.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
It looks like it might have started at the weld area and went all the way around the frame tubing itself. It's just a weak area I guess.:(

Thanks for your effort Fred. :)

·
Vendor
22,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoke to a welding expert and his initial comments were that it looked like it MIGHT BE a fatigue crack in the HAZ (Heat Affected Zone) and he thinks the crack probably started in the base of the weld and then propagated out into the frame member.

I should have some more definitive comments is a day or two from some metalurgists, but I personally suspect it is directly related to/caused by the temps the area reached during welding (HAZ).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fred,
Could this frame crack be related to the VIN's already in the recall? Meaning as you state the crack may be a result of heat stress. As I understand it, the current recall involves welds which were made improperly (ie. overheated, to thin, etc..).
I just wonder if the vins in the recall batch are a victim of a "cluster screwup" (ie. every single weld is suspect do to improger technique)? I know you don't have all the answers, I just find it interesting and sad at the same time that this new crack is still within the recalled vin #'s.
The rider also mentions a second bike with same cracks....what is the VIN # of that wing?
thanks
dave

·
Registered
267 Posts
Fred H. said:
I should have some more definitive comments is a day or two from some metalurgists, but I personally suspect it is directly related to/caused by the temps the area reached during welding (HAZ).
Fred, do you mean the original welding or the recall rewelding? FYI, Kent's bike was not in the recall range and was not rewelded.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Ellk,

Someone brought it to my attention, that the bike in question possibly did fall in the recall numbers.

I have not verified this myself, but if it is, I reported it incorrectly (with regret) in one of my earlier posts.

Bulldog

·
Registered
67 Posts
From what Kent said in one of his posts and from my info on VIN recall numbers his bike is in the frame recall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts