GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
You need to get some digital photos and let Fred H. have a copy of them along with VIN numbers etc.

Jerry

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Silver Bullet

As a first-time poster with no additonal information, including location, most of us regularls do not have any background on you or you wing. If this information is correct, we'd like to see more details. Year, serial number, specifics on how to check for the crack, and photos. Appreciate the heads up and look forward to seeing more details.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Re: NEWCRACKS SHOWING UP ON SUBFRAME NOW!!!

Silver Bullet said:
:evil: Everyone needs to check for new frame cracks on subframe. Look under the passager footrest on both sides.
This crack is in the frame itself. It starts in the weld and then goes around the frame. Two Bikes So Far. We are looking for more. This could be a live & death situation for the riders....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ed Siemers said:
I smell fish!
Rotten fish at that. I hope your nose is working correctly. I can't take any more bad news.

G

·
0 Posts
New Poster, Just Joined yesterday, No profile?

I won't throw rocks, but I have serious doubts about this one!

G

·
0 Posts
I agree...BUT if I recall correctly there were a couple of posts (back when this and Amzoil were the only threads on the board) that talked about a bike that had the pegs break off. I think it was determined to be a bad cast or something, but that's just going off of recall.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Steve_Aylor said:

DITTO !

·
Vendor
22,108 Posts
More Cracks??

Please provide me any information you have on the cracks you found, and I will contact the lead investigator at NHTSA directly and pass on this info to him. If you prefer, I will keep the information private, but I will need more detailed info like bike owners name, VIN # and a phone number to contact them at.

My home email address is:

[email protected]

·
Registered
441 Posts
JJ Cobb said:
I agree...BUT if I recall correctly there were a couple of posts (back when this and Amzoil were the only threads on the board) that talked about a bike that had the pegs break off. I think it was determined to be a bad cast or something, but that's just going off of recall.
If I remember those correctly they were the rider's pegs not the passenger boards. It was a bad casting and not a frame issue.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Steve_Aylor said:

======== I am with you, a wait an see atitude at this point.

If this had come from a guy with 1278 posts, I'd be listening closely

·
Registered
759 Posts
Thanks for the heads up post silver bullet. makes no difference how many posts one has made...I am gonna watch this thread carefully. New eyes are just as good as old eyes. I for one am not satisfied that the reweld has cured all the problems..I have a rewelded frame..and I am not happy about it. Keep up the good work silver bullet.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
You mean to tell me, with all you guys with a silver
wing hadn't used the name silver bullet yet? :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
New Frame Cracks

I know Silver Wing and the other gentleman whose frame is also cracked in the same place. It is not an Urban Legend. The frames are cracked. Both Brain and Kent are friends and are long time Goldwings riders. Another board member named Rene, who Fred H. knows, also inspected the frames and they are still cracked. By the way both of their wives are not Weight Watcher members as one poster rudely suggested. Just because no one else has spotted these cracks it does not mean that they do they not exist. And why attack their wives? Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. As soon as they can, pictures will be posted. Just my two cents worth. P.S. Both bikes have been inspected by the local dealer and have been reported to Honda.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Re: New Frame Cracks

Magilla said:
... It is not an Urban Legend. The frames are cracked. Both Brain and Kent are friends and are long time Goldwings riders. ... By the way both of their wives are not Weight Watcher members as one poster rudely suggested. Just because no one else has spotted these cracks it does not mean that they do they not exist. And why attack their wives? Let's give them the benefit of the doubt.
Well-stated, Magilla. Motorcycleboy: there's no reason to attack anybody's weight - that's flat-out rude.

I sure would be interested in knowing the details of this new development: model year, vin number range, were they part of the original frame re-weld?, etc.

I'll certainly be inspecting mine when I get home tonight, thanks for the update and make sure you guys keep us informed!

G

·
0 Posts
crack alert crack alert crack alert

OHHHH boy another crack alert will be checking mine when I get home tonight :? :tools1:

1 - 20 of 227 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.