GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new csc conversion today, Is it normal for a wobbel hitting small bumps at 30 or below? I have the csc rake kit. Do you still have the saddle bag open indicators hooked up to your new trunk? Thanks Larry

B

·
0 Posts
First let me say "Congratulations - you are in for some real riding fun.."

wizard612003 said:
I just picked up my new csc conversion today, Is it normal for a wobbel hitting small bumps at 30 or below?
Good question. The simple answer would be "No." But it's hard to say really without knowing exactly what you mean. For example, are you talking about hitting a bump with the front wheel or one of the rear wheels. Sometimes when a rear wheel hits a bump it will cause what some might call a wobble because of the 3 wheel configuration. Others might think of it as a "jiggle." If it is just a jiggle that lasts just a second, it's probably nothing. but if it sets off a wobble in the handlebars that seems dangerous, it could be trouble. Is it something your dealer could test ride and duplicate.

wizard612003 said:
I have the csc rake kit.
That's a good thing and should not cause a wobble. Actually the rake kit should lessen any jiggle.

wizard612003 said:
Do you still have the saddle bag open indicators hooked up to your new trunk? Thanks Larry
Yes - Mine both flash if the trunk is not latched. Not all dealers do this. I asked for it.

By the way - did you cast your vote in the poll? CSC is now tied with Champion at 35 each.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Had the same feeling when I picked up my csc about a month ago added a little air to the frount tire running at 36 now no problem other than what bestie said about the light jiggle.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
welcome to triking! You amde the best choice of kit! I never really noticed any wobble on mine, so maybe you should get it checked out if it is really bothersome. I'd try the tire pressure, as suggested first though. My indicators are hooked up and work fine...even saved me a few times... Happy riding!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wobbel

It just the front wheel seems to just move side to side once when hitting small ruts or bumps. No problem at higher speeds.It seems more pronunced now. Could just be me.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Wizard, I don't know if the CSC rake kit uses the replacement all ball bearings. Angel's DFT trike had a terrible wobble like you describe when we first got it. After we had the EZ-Steer Kit (Champion) installed after 8K miles and now it is rock solid. Champion's EZ-Steer kit recommends torquing the bearing to 30 ft/lbs. My Champion was rock solid after getting it converted last August (Ez-Steer installed at the same time). Now after 15k miles it is starting to experience a little wobble when I hit a bump. Not bad but I think I will eventually need to have the bearings retorqued.

I

·
0 Posts
I assume by "wobble" you mean that the bars will jerk at slow speeds when crossing uneven road surfaces that are not 90 degress to your direction of travel, ie driveway, gas station, or parking lot transitions from road surface, etc.

My Champion with EZ Steer does that, and I believe it is a charactoristic of all trikes. Without a "rake kit" it is worse. Nature of the beast, and is only pronounced at slow speeds. You will learn to deal with it. I do not have the problem at 30 mph, or even 20 mph, but is apparent at much slower speeds. Maybe you have something loose. I have tapered stem bearings, but even stock ball bearings should not do that if they are properly torqued.

Your "open" saddlebag warning should work if your lower trunk is not latched. That circuit should have been rerouted to your lower trunk latch when your kit was installed. My Champion works that way, and I have to believe that CSC does the same thing.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
581 Posts
IBTrike said:
I
My Champion with EZ Steer does that, and I believe it is a charactoristic of all trikes. .
NO WAY!!! My CSC since day one has NEVER had a wobble. Take it back to the installer and have them re-check your front end. Sounds like its not tight. If your installer does not know how to hook up your trunk light send me a e-mail and I will forward you instructions.
Ken L.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ken L. said:
IBTrike said:
I
My Champion with EZ Steer does that, and I believe it is a charactoristic of all trikes. .
NO WAY!!! My CSC since day one has NEVER had a wobble. Take it back to the installer and have them re-check your front end. Sounds like its not tight. If your installer does not know how to hook up your trunk light send me a e-mail and I will forward you instructions.
Ken L.
John, thanks you hit the nail on the head, this is exactly what I was talking about.
Larry

I

·
0 Posts
Wizard:

I believe that Ken L misunderstands what you and I are describing as "wobble". I can absolutely guarantee you that if you ride his CSC (or any other trike) over a 3-4" pavement height transition at an angle at slow speed, you will experience a momentary handlebar shake. My Champion is a solid rear axle design. Perhaps the CSC with IRS exhibits this to a lesser degree, but am willing to bet it still does it.

This condition is NOT caused by a "loose" front end. My stem bearings were replaced with tapered rollers when my kit was installed, and properly torqued, and I watched my Champion dealer do it. My steering is solid as a rock. No shake, no shimmy, no wobble except under the condition I describe above. I can ride down any but the worst of roads at normal speeds and take my hands off the bars, even at 80 MPH on a good xway. (I only did that once, just to see if she was stable)

Take it for what it is worth. If you have "wobble" that concerns you under conditions other than I described, maybe you want to check with your trike dealer, and have him check it out.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IBTrike said:
Wizard:I tried to put the quote with your other message. You nailed it, your description is what I was trying to say. I feel a lot better now, I rode another one today and it was at least as bad as mine, mabe even worse. they have about 5k on theirs said it was that way from new. No more worries. Thanks Larry

I believe that Ken L misunderstands what you and I are describing as "wobble". I can absolutely guarantee you that if you ride his CSC (or any other trike) over a 3-4" pavement height transition at an angle at slow speed, you will experience a momentary handlebar shake. My Champion is a solid rear axle design. Perhaps the CSC with IRS exhibits this to a lesser degree, but am willing to bet it still does it.

This condition is NOT caused by a "loose" front end. My stem bearings were replaced with tapered rollers when my kit was installed, and properly torqued, and I watched my Champion dealer do it. My steering is solid as a rock. No shake, no shimmy, no wobble except under the condition I describe above. I can ride down any but the worst of roads at normal speeds and take my hands off the bars, even at 80 MPH on a good xway. (I only did that once, just to see if she was stable)

Take it for what it is worth. If you have "wobble" that concerns you under conditions other than I described, maybe you want to check with your trike dealer, and have him check it out.

Ride safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts