GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new meter module in the mail today and couldn't wait - I went right out and stuck it in!

I was going to install it behind the grille, but it's much easier to see on the front. The meter is splashproof and has a rubber gasket on the face.

The LCD backlight brightness will eventually be controlled by a photocell, but I'm still looking for a small enough unit.

·
Registered
788 Posts
OK John, where'd ja buy it?

Too late for me though, 'cause I've got the Venco DVM.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Volt meter pix's

Check out my installation of volt meter.

Click on address to see my install.
http://home.comcast.net/~powers38/DVM-HeatedGloves.html

Digital volt meter is from Lascar Electronics.
http://www.lascarelectronics.com/produc ... F522F8CD87

Digital Battery tender (Dig. Volt indicator).
Kuryakyn
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =829007809

Both are hooked up to an accessory 3 pin conn under left fairing pocket.

Dig. Volt meter is not lighted so is not visable at night.
Kuryakyn unit is light sensitive so it dims in dark and get's real bright in sunlight. (Plenty visible in direct sun light.)

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
c'mon Jon,quit holding out on us!

I've got the Kuryakin meter,but want to add something that is a little more accurate.
The Kuryakin is great for telling me at a glance where my battery is at,but doesn't tell me exactly what the voltage is.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not a secret - I was just in a hurry and left out a few details... :lol:

There's more and larger pictures on my website, click here to view them.

The meter is from Lascar Electronics and is obviously a backlit, splashproof LCD - cost is about $50.

I've got a small quick-disconnect connector just behind the meter so I can easily remove the speaker grille. The wiring terminates in a pigtail 3-pin accessory plug connection which is attached to the heated grip connector.

I've got to do a little research, I might just tie the backlight power into the dash illumination power so that it follows their brightness settings. If that's not practical, I think I've found a small enough photocell element that I can use to build an auto-dimming circuit.

I thought about putting it down on the heated grip panel, but I like my instrumentation to be in my normal scan area. I like the location of my current meters, but I thought that it might be nice for an even more integrated look. I've never been a fan of the Kury-style indicator strip - I like the detail of a true meter, but that's just a personal preference - like chrome or pinstriping :D

I built a new digital gear indicator, and it will mount on the other speaker grille, either behind (LED) or on the surface if I go with an LCD display.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey Jon, why did you happen to pick the 40VDC model instead of the 25VDC version? They look the same with the 25VDC being one whole dollar cheaper!!!

I'm sure both will work nicely, just wondering if there were some reason I'missed.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MY BAD, Ken!

I just sloppily linked to the wrong model :oops:

I did use the 25V version...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts