GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to see what all the fuss was about so I mounted up an Alpin on the rear and a BT45 on the front.

Looking for better reliability and increased traction in some of the LD rallies I run.

2013 GL1800, Traxxion rear shock, Racetech front end with 1.2 kg springs. Forks 10mm up in the triples. Buckskin lower tree/all balls. 2oz Dynabeads in the front and 3oz in the rear.

Initial impressions:

1) The Alpin was a bear to mount. Had to use some irons and some Quick grip clamps to help keep the bead in the drop center.
2) Set the rear at 30 psi and the front at 40 psi and reverse registered the factory TPMS. TPMS light goes out after 3 miles or so.
3) The initial turn in response is definitely slower and requires more effort. This could definitely be a disadvantage in an emergency situation but I think it is a fair tradeoff for the increased reliability and stability elsewhere.
4) The ride quality ("smoothness") is much improved. I am assuming the carcass of the Alpin at those lower pressures softens the ride and perhaps the BT45 too. Small pavement joints or upsets are barely noticeable. This is probably the most noticeable part for me so far.
5) I haven't tested wet traction yet but I can imagine this will be greatly improved.
6) I am running Butt Lite in July and expect this setup to be very reliable.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
to the Darkside!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Welcome to the DS!! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Congrats on a job well done .
If ever through Wi. Look me up for your share if Darkside cookies .:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I had the same combination and it worked great for me, I think you'll like it. I got 24,000 out of the Michelin and no problems. Just took the BT-45 off yesterday with 33,000 miles on it and 3/32's tread left in the center. I changed it out because I have a trip coming up.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Darkside

WELCOME to the Darkside, and congrats on going Double Dark. I think the tires you are running was a great choice. As you put on the miles you will understand why there are so many Darksiders on the roads. Good luck. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:congrats: Welcome!:thumbup:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!

Went for another ride today and the tire is super grippy in the hotter weather we are having down South.

Not sure if it is possible to get this tire to step out in dry conditions.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm looking forward to mount the exact same combination of tires on my GL1800. Just have to wait for the MC tires to wear out, which won't be too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
820 Posts
I noticed that the BT45 130/70/18 is actually a rear MC tire. I went to the Bridgestone web site and got the info there.
I just want to make sure I am ordering the correct tire before I order it.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
You got some perty shiney rims thar! You need more miles on em I guess!:thumbup::twisted:

·
Registered
385 Posts
I noticed that the BT45 130/70/18 is actually a rear MC tire. I went to the Bridgestone web site and got the info there.
I just want to make sure I am ordering the correct tire before I order it.
Yep, it's a rear tire alright.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm looking forward to mount the exact same combination of tires on my GL1800. Just have to wait for the MC tires to wear out, which won't be too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had 5k miles on my bike when I switched.

On a side note the factory stones seemed to be wearing pretty well. Based on the tread depth they were at about 50% or so left (Rear was .150" and front was .102").

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You got some perty shiney rims thar! You need more miles on em I guess!:thumbup::twisted:

Yep need some more miles on them for sure. The beauty of a bike with lots of miles is the scratches don't matter. The sooner you can get to that point the better in my book!

Butt Lite (6k+) and hoping for a top ten finish to get a slot for IBR2015 (11k+) so that should get the odo up pretty quick.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Double dark??

First let me say, I have a car tire on the back of my wing. Put 10K on it and won't go back to a MC. I wanted to put a BT45 on the front, but chaparral wouldn't install because it was a rear tire. I didn't have time to go somewhere else so I put on a MC. Next front tire will be a BT45.....

OK, got the ground work layed. I am a proponent for the darkside!!

Here is my question. If a BT45 is actually a motorcycle tire..... why do we call it double dark??

·
Registered
820 Posts
First let me say, I have a car tire on the back of my wing. Put 10K on it and won't go back to a MC. I wanted to put a BT45 on the front, but chaparral wouldn't install because it was a rear tire. I didn't have time to go somewhere else so I put on a MC. Next front tire will be a BT45.....

Here is my question. If a BT45 is actually a motorcycle tire..... why do we call it double dark??
My take on it is due to your putting a rear tire on the front.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts

Try a G701...This is a front tire and reports are pretty much same tire as BT45. This will be my next tire. :thumbup:

My take on it is due to your putting a rear tire on the front.
:thumbup: You hit the nail on the head! :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts