GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced my stones with E3's in prep for an upcoming tour. Thought I would give them a try as the rear has a good load rating and I ride two up and pull a small camper when touring. I liked the stones, hope the E3's perform as well. What psi are you E3 users running. I put 40F 43R.

Well time to go for a ride and scuff them up a bit.

Fred

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
When I ran them, I used 41/42 per my gague, your gage may vary ;-)

I think E-3 is the best choice for long term super slab duty like you planned for. They get really noisy at the rear and I am not sure the Surform rasp trick works on E-3 or not; but probably. Have a great trip!

prs

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
. . . I think E-3 is the best choice for long term super slab duty like you planned for. They get really noisy at the rear . . .
Almost everyone who's tried the E-3s says the same thing: the rear tire gets really NOISY after about 6-7K miles because the outside tread start to scallop (a form of cupping). And after a while it causes the bike to vibrate on the curves, which I did not like AT ALL! They may last a bit longer than the average, but for my particular driving needs (about 80% of my driving is on mountain curves communting to work), I couldn't wait to get 'em off and put Bridgestones back on.

·
Registered
166 Posts
41 front and rear. I've had about 4 sets of E3's. great wear. They howl but whatever

·
Registered
686 Posts
"Additional Noise?"
"Additional mileage"
"Additional Noise?"
"Additional mileage"
"Additional Noise?"
"Additional mileage"
"Additional Noise?"
"Additional mileage"

Riding 2700-2800 miles/month (on average... more in the dry weather, less in winter), year in, year out, I'll "suck-it-up, buttercup" with the tire noise for not having to replace tires every 3-4 months. And, I'm not ready to go Darkside, yet.

It's saving me from having to buy another set of tires each year.... or more... (depending upon what I have to otherwise purchase). They may not be the best at doing "X", or the best at doing "Y", or the best under "those" conditions... but I've found that they are pretty darned good at "X", and pretty darned good at "Y", and more than acceptable under almost all conditions. I do like how they handle in the twisties on dry pavement.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree. The howl is worth the mileage. Added bonus is that tar snakes and grated steel bridges don't bother them too much.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Fred: :agree: with the great wear forecast. 41 front, 43 rear... got 18k out of my last set. The current set may not last quite as long; doing a lot of 80mph superslab riding this summer.

41 front and rear. I've had about 4 sets of E3's. great wear. They howl but whatever

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm on my 2nd set of E3s and run them at 40/43. 1st set lasted 18k+ miles and not quite to the wear bars. I bet I could have gone another 3 to 4 thousand miles out of them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
38 in the front, and 41 in the rear for my E3s. I too wish they we're a little less noisy, but otherwise I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses my fellow riders. they are all most appreciated. I'm still breaking them in but so far I'm pleased. they are quiet so far and ride nice, along with my new traxxion springs and fork rebuild I'm satisfied. I'll put them to the test in about 4 weeks as my tour will be 7-8K.

Fred

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Gone thru many sets with no problems in any sets I have avg 10-15 thousand out of each set depending on the type of riding I have done. Many do not like them and complain about certain problems. I have thought about changing many times however after getting the mileage I have I always stick with the Dunlop brand

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I used to switch back and forth between E3's and Stones...kind of a tossup, IMO, with the E3's lasting a couple thousand miles longer (rear especially) but the Stones giving a smoother ride and no howl.

These days, I run ct on the rear and Exedra on the front. Great ride, quiet, long mileage and trouble free. Works for me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Fred: :agree: with the great wear forecast. 41 front, 43 rear... got 18k out of my last set. The current set may not last quite as long; doing a lot of 80mph superslab riding this summer.
Same here, I've got 16,250 on current set, ordered new ones from board sponsor, a week ago, ain't got 'em yet :cry:, probably could get a couple thousand more out of 'em, but the wife will be ridin' some with me soon, so a bit of piece of mind is in order.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
why 43 in the rear ? my experience has been that over inflation will shorten tire life a few thousand miles

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Yes. Quite interesting. Dunlop suggests 41psi when loaded for the 60 series OEM rear fitment Elite 3. Dunlop also states that increasing air pressure will not provide the tire any additional load capacity over that which is stamped on the sidewall. :shrug:

Other than enjoying a harsher ride, why blow up a tire over the MAX psi? :?:

why 43 in the rear ? my experience has been that over inflation will shorten tire life a few thousand miles

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Based on a conversation with who I spoke with at Dunlop, riders that have used the E-3 on the GL1800 for years I've discussed this with, and my mechanic (stocking Dunlop Dealer)... I'll stick with 41/43, and I ride solo with no trailer, and in a "gentleman's sport touring" style. My 18k + of perfectly even wear and very little tread deformation on the last set has me convinced.

The 38/41 official recommendation is based on a balance of wear, load capacity, and supple ride considerations for the Wing's "intended useage".

JMO, and I'm sticking to it. :biker:

Yes. Quite interesting. Dunlop suggests 41psi when loaded for the 60 series OEM rear fitment Elite 3. Dunlop also states that increasing air pressure will not provide the tire any additional load capacity over that which is stamped on the sidewall. :shrug:

Other than enjoying a harsher ride, why blow up a tire over the MAX psi? :?:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts