GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on a short trip and got a nail in my rear metz!! Only 6K on them so had lots to go. Never risk repair so I had to put on a new set of Elete 3's which is all the closest Honda dealer had. I have had the wobble ever since I put the Metz on. The bike now has absolutely NO wobble with the new Elete 3's!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Give them time and as with all tires as they wear you may encounter your wobble again. I had E3's and a wobble from time they were new, installed steering bearings, progressive springs (wish I could afford Traxxion Suspension) and since this mod my wobble went away till the tires hit about 7k miles and it came back though not as pronounced. I just installed a set of Stones and we will see how they do.

Did not like the E3's personally as the sang to loud in the corners, and as anal as I am about tire pressure, I was not pleased with how they wore or acted in the rain and on tar Snakes.

·
Registered
17,125 Posts
I bet there are folks here who would like to have that "old" Metzeler.

prs

·
Registered
463 Posts
wobble?

Maybe mine was built on a Wednesday or something like that, or maybe the candy black cherries are immune to such, but with over 62k I have never expereinced a wobble except when the set of Avons I had on her BOTH separated at only 12k. The bike came on Dunlop D250's and they went 16200, went to Avons, they came apart at 12K, went to E3's and have been consistantly getting 17k plus with no wobbles, no problems. I have NOT changed any steering bearings or anything else. I check my air at least twice a week and run the Honda reccommended 36 front and 41 rear. 70 percent of the miles are two up and of that 70 percent, 10 percent is with a trailer and two up. I feel for you guys that are experiencing the wobble, just guess I got lucky.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I never had a front end wobble With the factory Stones or the 3 sets of the 250 Lops. Put the Elite 3's on and had a terrible wobble in the front end. Removed the tire had it rebalanced, still wobbled. Added some Ride-On tire balancer/ puncture protector, and the wobble was gone. I don't think I would install another set of 3's ont the front. With that being said, I really like the Elite on the rear, better in the rain and on tar snakes. :biker:

·
Registered
694 Posts
The next time someone puts on new E-3s (or whatever brand) and gets a wobble, send them to me as my bike has never wobbled and I will put them on (properly balanced) and see if it gets a wobble. If we do, its related to bad production of tires, if not, its your bike or the way you balanced them. Don't worry either way you will get them back.

Why don't some of you guys who live near each other and have the issue spend a weekend tire swapping to islolate the tire or the bike.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
AUSTENNN said:
The next time someone puts on new E-3s (or whatever brand) and gets a wobble, send them to me as my bike has never wobbled and I will put them on (properly balanced) and see if it gets a wobble. If we do, its related to bad production of tires, if not, its your bike or the way you balanced them. Don't worry either way you will get them back.

Why don't some of you guys who live near each other and have the issue spend a weekend tire swapping to islolate the tire or the bike.
I've never had the first wobble at any speed with any bike or tires. I just put on a new set of Avons on my GL1800 with the 70 series on the rear and they ride smooth as silk. I've run Avons on my VTX1800 Retro for a year now and absolutely love them. With over 5,000 miles they look like they only have 500 and still stick like glue even on wet pavement. I have no reason to expect anything different from this set on my Wing. :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
My bike came with the stones.......I went through 2 sets of 250's.......never a hint of a wobble........as soon as I put on the E 3's I have a wobble.........I try not to let go of the bars......joy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts