GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the Lord willing, and the creek don't rise, I'll be picking up a new Wing next week! Good to know that even at 49 I can still get as excited as a little kid :D .

2 questions come to mind, though.

What is the recommended engine break-in procedure? I'll need to drive about 120 miles back home.

Second, does the Wing come with coolant already installed while in the crate? I'd like to have them put the NPG+ in before any water is ever added. Wonder if they will? Wonder if they say it will void the warranty if they don't put in the Honda stuff.

Thanks,
AI Nut

·
Registered
759 Posts
if you will read the owners manual that comes with the bike...the only thing that Honda talks about is no hard or fast acceleration for the first 200 miles or so...mine is broken in..so I cant remember the exact mileage, lol. other than that..you're good to go...just drive it..and dont look back. coolant and all liguids come with the bike..however...HOWEVER....check em all...coolant level, rear end, oil, brake fluids. it is common to receive the bike with the coolant not totally filled. it takes a few heat and cold cycles to really burp the cooling system so I suggest you carry a quart of honda coolant with you. engine oil should be ok, but check it anyway. rear ends were and are known to be delivered with too low a fluid level..have your dealer check that for sure. and visually check the brake and clutch fluids..can be done by eyeballing it. good luck with your new bike..and I fully understand your excitement!! Ride safe!!!!!

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Like was said earlier don't take the dealers word for proper fluids. Check yourself. If you don't know how have the service mgr right there with you to show you how ! The only thing you have to watch out for is no steady speeds. Like don't get on the super slab and set the cruise at 70 and ride for miles. Keep up and down on the throttle for the first 100, thats what I was told by my dealer. I got on mine pretty good right from the start. Make sure you got a good hold of her when you do ! LOL

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'd like to have them put the NPG+ in before any water is ever added. Wonder if they will? Wonder if they say it will void the warranty if they don't put in the Honda stuff.
Last time I looked the Evans coolant didn't meet warranty requirements for any motorcycle or car manufacturer. It would be a big risk, if you had any kind of cooling problems you could be SOL.

The radiator is already filled before the bike is crated for shipping, during set up, the dealer is supposed to top off the cooling system and overflow tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts