GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My g/f's mom and sister are coming to my house for the weekend to take care of some wedding plans. I am leaving the area, hoping to take friday off work and ride for a 4 day weekend. I would like to head to the new england area. I was born in Brockton MA and lived in East Bridgewater MA, I will go through my old neighborhood and then head on up into Maine, I guess Bar Harbor. I have no plans. does anyone have any suggestions? I'm going to throw my tent and sleeping bag in the bike and just "wing it". Did the hurricane hit hard enough up that way that I should head a different direction? Any and all suggestions would be great. I can ride 5 to 7 hundred miles a day very comfortably, over 7 hundred makes it non enjoyable. I'm all ears, thanks in advance. :bow:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hawk, I will check it out. I guess I'm heading up that way for sure, just need to get a basic route, I'm not too good at following an Itinerary (spelling).

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just did that trip 2 weeks ago. Rode up to Keene NH on 122 then Rt12 into Keene. After that RT 9 to Loncia NH. but now Kancamagus or part of it are washed out. Use 302 to 16 north threw Mt. Washington into Gorham, nice place to stay. We left in the morning and put us there at 5PM. Next Morning got onto Rt2 into Augusta, Then to Bar Harbor and climbed Cadilac Mt. Also there is a road the winds threw the park, now its a one way and $5 to get in but worth it, $20 if you were in a car.

Then we rode to Lubec to take pictures of the most eastern point in the lower 48. And stayed there that night.Funny we went out to eat to a nice resturant and chicken was $18 and lobster was $16, go fiqure.

The next day crossed over to NB to see Roosevelt summer home on Compobello Island.Worth the crossing. Need passport. Road threw NB for about 45 miles then back in to Maine. Well let me tell you that Rt9 in Maine from Canadian boarder to Bangor is 96 miles with NOTHING ON THE ROAD, BUT NOTHING, no gas station no stores NOTHING, NOT A F$#KING THING.

That was a 1200 mile ride with Sunday being 600 miles. but I had a great time

http://www.fdr.net/home

Attachments

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4d,
I forgot about wanting to hit mt. washington. did you go up? is this a bad time of year to go there? thanks for the info, I will try and incorporate some,

·
Registered
442 Posts
4d,
I forgot about wanting to hit mt. washington. did you go up? is this a bad time of year to go there? thanks for the info, I will try and incorporate some,
I rode up 3 years ago during bike week with a VTX1300. No cars that day. I wouldn't do it on a wing because of my size. BIG ruts on that road and I mean BIG for 6 miles then its gravel to almost the top. But this time of year you might find it cold.

Rt 302 in NH is a beautiful road use it, Its got alot to see.

I only live about 25 miles from Bridgewater so if your still here for a weekend maybe we can ride to Plymouth Ma on Rt 105 for lunch.

In your picture are you standing on Cathedral Ledge?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rode up 3 years ago during bike week with a VTX1300. No cars that day. I wouldn't do it on a wing because of my size. BIG ruts on that road and I mean BIG for 6 miles then its gravel to almost the top. But this time of year you might find it cold.

Rt 302 in NH is a beautiful road use it, Its got alot to see.

I only live about 25 miles from Bridgewater so if your still here for a weekend maybe we can ride to Plymouth Ma on Rt 105 for lunch.

In your picture are you standing on Cathedral Ledge?

I am leaving Friday morning early and will be in the area for sure by friday early evening. Run through the old neighborhood and try and find an old freind, who I think lives in Hanson, then find a place to hole up for the night. I had planned on putting alot of miles on each day. Lunch sounds great, but I think I would like to be a little further out than Plymouth by then. I would like to atleast put a handshake on ya, if it doesn't work out for you to ride any distance on Saturday. The picture is on the BRP at Mile high bridge.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got on to check out 302, maybe this week end isn't the best time to ride up there? I wanted to ride the coast of maine and I'm not sure it's worth it just yet?

US 302 in both directions: All roadways.
between Willey Station Road and Lagoon Road (20 to 26 miles east of the Bethlehem area). All roadways. The road is closed to traffic. Daily. Until September 28.

Comment: Heart's Location to Bartlett on US302 (Crawford Notch Road) from Way House Station Road southeast past the Swayer River Bridge is closed to traffic due to flooding until further notice. The Swayer River Bridge is closed. Seek alternate route. US 302 from Glenn heading towards Carroll/Hearts Location town line is open. From Way House Station Road on US 302 heading northwest towards Saco Lake area is open..
Last updated today at

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
New England

Hey, I just got back from there. We did a 4 1/2 day trip also and had a great time! Didn't get to do Mt Washington because of a storm moving in. We took the scenic route below it. Too pictures of the Kennedy compound to see how the upper crust lives. They are still having a tough time from Irene, particularly in RI and Vermont. Lots of flooding and roads closed, power out for many people. I'd check it out before leaving or planning a route. Ride safe! Gary

·
Registered
442 Posts
Maybe it's just the time to stay away from that area of New England. You don't want to travel Rt1 or 95 from northern Mass into Maine especially this weekend because you and very one else will be on those 2 roads.

That Sunday of my trip right after Portland traffic was really bad. 2 hours for 20 miles, not fun.

Southern New England was hit bad by the storm and I haven't seen any roads closers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts