GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip to the new england states planning on leaving sept 12th, can anyone from the area let me know areas to avoid since the hurricane, I have been reading what I can find and looks like they are saying the area is open for tourists for the most part, although newspaper coverage has seemed to decline except for stlll posting power outages, I planned or riding thru vermont, new hampshire, maine, mass, rhode island and conneciut, then back into new york and home to pa, I want to avoid gravel repaired roads and major detours Thanx in advance for any advice

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
MA is, for the most part, OK but things are not quite so good in VT. Here's a Map of Irene-Related Transportation Issue in VT. Good luck on your trip.
Thanks for that link. I am also planning a trip to New England leaving home October 1st. I was on a VT Tourism website yesterday and saw something similar but your link provides a better perspective.

I'm saving the link to continually refer to it over the next three weeks as I plan a route.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Make sure you see the Big E in Springfield, Mass !
It's a state fair of "ALL" the New England States.
I believe this year it runs from Sept 16th till about October 2nd.
It's worth the trip to do it at least once in a lifetime.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
No problems in Maine unless you want to travel route 27 past Sugarloaf. Road closed to 2 bridges out. Locals have to drive an hour +- to get around it. Are you traveling alone?

·
Registered
19 Posts
avoid the whole route 4 corridor in Vermont. It is closed between Rutland and Bridgewater to everything except emergency and construction vehicles. also route 100 and 107 bethel area south to ludlow are is a mess they are telling us it couldbe mid october before they are open to normal 2 way traffic

·
Registered
847 Posts
Rode the upper part of eastren CT on Saturday and for the most part the roads are in good shape, there are some roads closed and a lot of branches along the sides. Westren CT roads are a little worse as they got hammered by flooding on Rt 7. Check out New England riders forum on delphi for the best of New England roads.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Forget Vermont Rte 100 at Wilmington and north of there. West Dover and Jamima on Rte 100 had sections of rd washed out. A LOT of road problems. Sections of NY around Lake George are supposed to have problems. VT really got smacked.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANX to all who have replied, nice to have people willing to take the time to provide some helpful info to a fellow rider, I think the route I have planed will be good for the most part Thanx again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts