GL1800Riders Forums banner

201 - 220 of 277 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
I read of few of the upgrade posts, but am unclear. Is the firmware being updated (the last one and this upcoming one) related to the media system on the bike only or does it encompass additional systems?

Feels like an .iso file you can update at home and not deal with the dealer (if you don't want to) is a pretty great feature although not the over the air panacea we'd all hope for.
I don't know how big other manufacturers update files are, but with files as big as the ones the Goldwing gets, over-the-air might not be a good option because of how slow it would be. It is possible to update soft- and firmware with differential files--smaller files that contain the intended differences and that modify the existing soft- and firmware, but Honda chose to replace the entire package, and it's very large.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Apologies for being lazy and not reading back over threads to do my homework - I’m sure this has already been explained either earlier in this thread or in other ones.

I’m in a bit of a weird situation where I imported my US-spec Gold Wing to the UK, and have never done any kind of software update on it since I bought it in 2018. I have been told by my dealer in the UK that they’ve spoken to Honda, and it is impossible to load the European update with European mapping onto my US-spec bike.

I’ve come to terms with that situation, but the thought now occurs that I may as well make sure it has the latest US software/firmware on it, even if the mapping component is now irrelevant to me.

But because I’ve never installed an update before, I’m not sure what I have to do to get my software and firmware versions up to the latest version.

When Honda do release the latest version in the US, if I go to the US Honda page and download the file will it be a cumulative update that brings me up to date in one file? Or do I need to install all the intermediate updates first? For example, if my bike is on version 1 and the new update is version 5, do I need to download and install versions 2, 3, and 4 before I install the new one?

·
Love The DCT
11,511 Posts
Apologies for being lazy and not reading back over threads to do my homework - I’m sure this has already been explained either earlier in this thread or in other ones.

I’m in a bit of a weird situation where I imported my US-spec Gold Wing to the UK, and have never done any kind of software update on it since I bought it in 2018. I have been told by my dealer in the UK that they’ve spoken to Honda, and it is impossible to load the European update with European mapping onto my US-spec bike.

I’ve come to terms with that situation, but the thought now occurs that I may as well make sure it has the latest US software/firmware on it, even if the mapping component is now irrelevant to me.

But because I’ve never installed an update before, I’m not sure what I have to do to get my software and firmware versions up to the latest version.

When Honda do release the latest version in the US, if I go to the US Honda page and download the file will it be a cumulative update that brings me up to date in one file? Or do I need to install all the intermediate updates first? For example, if my bike is on version 1 and the new update is version 5, do I need to download and install versions 2, 3, and 4 before I install the new one?
Do not need to install the previous versions before installing the latest version.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It is a firmware update for the Navigation, Audio, and Bluetooth systems only.
Hope it helps me with my communication issues. Using the packtalk bold, I cannot hear my music if I'm in dmc mode. I'm pretty sure it's user error but have spent many hours trying to figure it out. May just be too old to learn new skills but not ready to quit trying yet.

·
Vendor
21,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Hope it helps me with my communication issues. Using the packtalk bold, I cannot hear my music if I'm in dmc mode. I'm pretty sure it's user error but have spent many hours trying to figure it out. May just be too old to learn new skills but not ready to quit trying yet.
You need to go into the settings for the Packtalk Bold (using the CardoConnect app on your phone) and set the Background slider to 100%.

Fred

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Speed limits (Plural , yes displayed on gps) , not speed limit (singular)

In every forum there is a sarcastic joker , nothing new , sometimes sarcasm it´s the only thing they have left....
I have that. It's like tourettes, but with sarcasm. Some cases are so bad that it's a sarchosis (sarcasm psychosis). It's in the latest DSM. (Like you're going to take time to look it up, right?)

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Seriously, how could a company that large allow that to happen? Oh, I know! IT isn't important, until it is.....ugh.
It's frustrating because so much of our lives are now intermingled with computers, but no computer system, regardless of organizaitonal resources, is unhackable. (The CIA just lost another bunch of top-secret hacking tools.) Start from the knowledge that the initial architecture of all public computer systems, both hardware and software, was based on openness and accessibiltiy, not security, and they remain so. From that point forward, every single attempt at making systems more secure has been a tweak on a fundamentally open system, and now, after time has passed, we've got myriad tweaks upon tweaks that come close to rendering systems practically unusable. Then add that almost all system breaches start with authorized users answering emails they shouldn't answer, clicking attachments they shouldn't click, plugging in USB drives that have been infected in the users' home computers, or visiting hacked websites. As long as systems have users--who are the weakest links--systems will be compromised. There's no way to avoid it. Unless they're delusional, no network admins sleep well.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts

If you're comfortable with computers, you can download and use a VPN app--I use VPNExpress, but there are free ones--that can fool the internet into thinking you're in different countries. When traveling, I use it to connect to US-based services like Netflix or my online newspaper subscription, so you could do that to get to the Honda US web page to download that file (which is a complete replacement for the previous firmware). Caveat: It's a very big file, so, depending on the speed of your internet connection, and how your ISP charges for data, that download could be slow and spendy. Another alternative is to have someone in the US send you a USB drive containing the download. PM me if that interests you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you're comfortable with computers, you can download and use a VPN app--I use VPNExpress, but there are free ones--that can fool the internet into thinking you're in different countries. When traveling, I use it to connect to US-based services like Netflix or my online newspaper subscription, so you could do that to get to the Honda US web page to download that file (which is a complete replacement for the previous firmware). Caveat: It's a very big file, so, depending on the speed of your internet connection, and how your ISP charges for data, that download could be slow and spendy. Another alternative is to have someone in the US send you a USB drive containing the download. PM me if that interests you.
Or someone can dropbox/icloud/googledrive it to you. If you have dropbox (or other file sharing utility), when the new update comes out I'll throw it in your folder.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Or someone can dropbox/icloud/googledrive it to you. If you have dropbox (or other file sharing utility), when the new update comes out I'll throw it in your folder.
Yes, that's another good alternative if you have a reasonably quick internet connection and depending on how your ISP charges for downloading data.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yes, that's another good alternative if you have a reasonably quick internet connection and depending on how your ISP charges for downloading data.
Thanks guys! But if the file that lives behind the link in this photo is the one I need, then it doesn’t look like the Honda website does any region checks, as I just clicked that link and it seems to be downloading (8+Gb though!! Might cancel the download and wait for the newer one)

201 - 220 of 277 Posts