GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed new fork seals and disabled the anti dive valve today. After it was together i took it for a ride and noticed that the back brakes felt like they had air in them, i had to pump them up some. the bike has ABS, i had the brake line loose at the anti dive valve when i took it apart and there was just a little fluid that leaked out, should i bleed these now and whats the best way with ABS. This couldn't be because of disabling the anti dive could it.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
You have air in the anti dive probley where you had the line off. Just need to bleed .

·
Registered
427 Posts
Anti-Dive Valve & Rear Brakes

The rear brake master cylinder (right side under cover just above foot peg and brake pedal) is connected(linked braking system) to the anti-dive valve. Air probably entered the system on your anti-dive disable project.

When bleeding the rear brake system you must follow in this order:
Corrected: I left out the first two steps on the first post a few minutes ago. Sorry!

First bleed - Left front caliper top bleeder

Second bleed - Right front caliper bottom bleeder

Third bleed - Rear caliper bottom bleeder

Forth bleed - Front left fork anti-dive valve bleeder

Fifth bleed - Rear caliper top bleeder

Caution: never let the master cylinder fluid cup pull empty while bleeding or you will have to bleed the whole system again.

Just completed this procedure yesterday on O7 ABS model. Flushed old brake fluid, anti-dive valve was already disabled during traxxion upgrade.

Hope this helps,
Mike;)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does it matter if you do it with the hand lever or the foot pedal.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Rear Brake purge/bleed with rear pedal

Use the rear pedal.

Remove the fluid reservoir covers and suction out the old fluid if you have a Mityvac Brake Bleed Kit (avaiable @ Autozone for about $34 - very handy tool to have on hand).

Refill reservoir with fresh DOT4 brake fluid and recover to prevent moisture absorption.

Place box end wrench on bleeder valve nut then attach Mityvac tubing or other tubing you may have and route it to a collection jar to prevent making a big mess.

Pump the brake pedal several times and then hold.

Open appropriate bleeder, pedal will depress as fluid bleeds off. Keep pedal depressed.

Close the bleeder valve.

Slowly - slowly release pedal back to normal position.

Wait 15 - 20 seconds

Repeat pump up and hold, then bleed again.

KEEP reservoir full - do not allow it to pull empty.

Repeat till there are no air bubbles coming out and/or fluid clears up, 6-12 times or as needed. Old fluid will most likely be darker amber in color, new fluid more clear.

Move to next bleed point in the sequence and repeat process.

A second person to help makes the process easier as attempting to do this procedure by yourself requires acrobatic prowess.

Just my opinion, if I had to bleed the rear I would do the whole process Front first then Rear and have accomplished flushing the old fluid from the entire system. It only requires two more bleed points and maybe another pint of DOT 4 Brake Fluid.

Full Purge/Bleed Sequence:

If you need to do the front brake fluid purge/bleed it is accomplished the same way but with the hand lever and handlebar reservoir. Utilize the following sequence.

First bleed - Right front caliper top bleeder.

Second bleed - Left front caliper bottom bleeder.

When finished refill reservoir, install styrofoam float, accordian gasket, white plastic cap and then metal cap.

Caution: never let the master cylinder fluid cup pull empty while bleeding or you will have to bleed the whole system again.

Refill reservoir to line, reinstall accordian gasket, and cap.

Mike

The rear brake master cylinder (right side under cover just above foot peg and brake pedal) is connected(linked braking system) to the anti-dive valve. Air probably entered the system on your anti-dive disable project.

Corrected: I left out the first two steps on the first post a few minutes ago. Sorry!

Just completed this procedure yesterday on O7 ABS model. Flushed old brake fluid, anti-dive valve was already disabled during traxxion upgrade.

Hope this helps,
Mike;)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts