GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the fork seals with my brother's help on his 2008 goldwing. The fluid was two different colours. One was very black and one was brown. Why would that be?? They had never been done before. Thank You

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Because you have two very different fork legs?

One of them has a modern cartridge in it and the other has a ancient circa Spanish civil war design. Why would you expect the oil to look the same.

Go Traxxion young man. Then your fork oil will look the same on both sides AND your suspension will work better.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
There is no need to change your suspension over to Traxiom just to keep your fluid the same color. LMAO. Wow I have heard of everything now LOL. Just change out your fork oil as per your manual and you will not have any problems and won't waste 3,000.00 upgrading your suspension to keep the fluid the same color LMAO

·
Registered
686 Posts
I just replaced the fork seals with my brother's help on his 2008 goldwing. The fluid was two different colours. One was very black and one was brown. Why would that be?? They had never been done before. Thank You
I believe that wear of the of the bushings might cause that.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
curious why you installed new seals on an '08? Leaks or preventative maintenance?

Just wondering because I had to replace the seals on my '08 because of a bad leak...with only 5,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
MATT????:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
fork fluid color

I change my fork fluid year and seals / bushing every other year. The fluid always is cruddy, usually black. The brown might be that you got some water in that side. If you are just changing the fluid and seals / bushings with no other upgrade ( springs, race/tec / traxxion ), then clean and check the anti-dive valve to be sure it isn't sticking as it will cause you to blow your left seal and you get to do it all again. There are many helpful posts on the tech forum on why and how to do this. Hope this is helpful.Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts