GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Glad to be joining you all. I'm in the process of buying a 2006 GL1800PNG. Only 12,200 miles for $8500 seams good but the heated seats and rear spring preload adjustment aren't working. The dealer spent an hour on the seller's dime doing basic troubleshooting but couldn't find the problem with either so I am taking the bike as is. I can live without the warm butt as I am not used to driving my '98 Valkyrie in that weather anyway, but I think I will want/need the preload adjustment to be able to take my wife on the back. Any suggestions where I should start looking for the problem? The display doesn't even show the preload settings or the bike trying to change them. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

I'm looking forward to the new ride but still trying to wrap my head around giving up the Valk. Hopefully the Wing will be everything the Valk was for me and more so I will be OK with letting it go.... eventually.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Welcome to the madhouse. I personally would not buy a bike with known problems, considering that the dealer couldn't determine the cause in an hour. JMHO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Orrin. The bike seemed clean enough and drove well enough to be worth the gamble that I can fix at least the preload adjuster. I hope to pick the bike up tomorrow and get more familiar with it. Only time will show whether or not I made a good choice despite the issues.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Good luck. Don't be afraid to ask for help here on the board. Lot's of good guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick update on the preload adjuster. From looking around on this forum I found info indicating that I could see the preload adjuster by removing the right side panel. When I did, I was able to see the control connector and just squeeze a bent needle nose pliars in to unplug it to check check that it was making a good connection. Well,... it unplugged and came out in my hand with a 3 inch stub of wire that had been chewed through by a mouse! Pulling the seat got me just enough access to find the other end of the chewed wire and I was able to push it just far enough out that I could splice and solder the connector back on. Now I can see and adjust my preload! I was already loving the bike and am now super happy with it with such an important function working again. A great forum. Very glad to be a part of it.

By the way, I decided to wait until it gets colder to check out the seat heater more. I'm wondering if it might have some kind of thermostat that keeps it from coming on when it's too warm and it has been very warm for Vermont ever since I bought the bike.

Thanks again for the welcome and kind wishes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.