GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have had your frame replaced , was a new wiring harness installed or did the dealer just use the old one ?

If either answer , can you tell the harness was changed out , if so what do you notice ?

Thanks !

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i saw a dealer doing two frame swaps in his shop

this dealer used the old harness

what a flippin mess

·
Registered
151 Posts
For those of you who have had your frame replaced , was a new wiring harness installed or did the dealer just use the old one ?

If either answer , can you tell the harness was changed out , if so what do you notice ?

Thanks !
Just found out today that my frame was replaced in Mar '08, two months before I bought it. Mother Honda stated no other parts were replaced besides the frame. I have throughly worked on and inspected my bike, and could have never told they swapped frames. Used the same wire harness as well. Honda of Jacksonville did the frame swap. Jim

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The frames broke--the harness is not-- the dealer will reuse, because honda will not pay for a replacement harrness and the dealer sure isn't gonna pay for it either.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts

Thanks !
There's no need for a new wiring harness. Everything is reused in a frame replacement. The only difference with the newer spec'ed frame, besides the added reinforcement of the rear triangle behind the floorboard, is the two bottom fuel tanks bolts are larger in dia.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
There's no need for a new wiring harness. Everything is reused in a frame replacement. The only difference with the newer spec'ed frame, besides the added reinforcement of the rear triangle behind the floorboard, is the two bottom fuel tanks bolts are larger in dia.

Not totaly true!
My frame war replaced with a NOS likely '01 frame that is NOT one of the current designs. Plus the wiring harness was damaged in the re-assembly process.
The harness can be pulled through a fairly small hole in the frame when it is new and still flexable but kinda hard to do as it ages. The one who did the replacement said that pulling that rats nest through the frame holes was the hardest part of the job and even he admitted a new harness would have been the best way to go.
In my case there were a number of plastic connector bodies cracked and severly damaged in the process which has required repeated further repairs to keep them in place and or plugged in.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
during original assembly at the plant

the wire harness is heated to make it more flexable

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
My uncle just had to replace his wiring harness after a accident. He says that the main wiring harness costs 1400 dollars.

My wiring harness and connecters were just find after my frame change...but I did have to reroute some of the wiring harness and the cooling hoses to there correct postions before I reassembled the bike. I don't really blame the dealer too much because even though I stripped my bike myself and saved them that labor, the dealers still doesn't get fully paid for a frame replacement job from Honda....when you are losing money on a job things will most likely get rushed. I had over 40 hours in the job myself taking my time .... the dealer had 20 hours from this point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts