GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Nice product, steep price ($1516.65 MSRP). (I wonder what the 65 cents is for? :))

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I am wondering how big a HD that is in there? WIll one be able to load more maps if needed. Even thou it looks as it has all that covered already. I am also wondering, how much space does all the maps it is talking about actually take?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Bob said:
Nice product, steep price ($1516.65 MSRP). (I wonder what the 65 cents is for? :))
the 65 cents is for their customer service budget.

i have tried to call them like 5 times. every time its the same story, due to we dont care your wait will be 30 minutes.

great product, not much customer support.

loren

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
From a gps newsgroup that I subscribe to;

I talked to garmin tech this morning and was told the 2620 will have a 2.0 gb
hard drive and you can download additional maps from other mapsorce products up
to 500mb since the city navigator is approximately 1444mb. Also there will be a
way to update city navigator maps on the hard drive. They are not quite sure
how yet but there will be a way. Jerry

and he answered another person's question with this response;

It is a regular 2.0gb hard drive and there is no compact flash slot. This unit
is mainly for people that don't have computers but whoever has a computer can
still download additional mapsouce maps like metroguide 4.01 or other
combatible maps up to 500mb more on the hard drive besides the included
1444.6mb city navigator v5. Jerry

I can't say this is the gospel, but it sounds plausible. I also believe that a motorcycle is not going to be the most stable platform for a gps device with a hard drive. Can you say s-k-k-i-i-p-p?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The compact flash card is more stable, less wear, and probably more dependable. If it stops, you can change it without mailing back to Garmin and labor for repair. Price is high for a $200 HD. This one change is definetly limited.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think my vote would be for buying a 2GB flash card for thye 2610. Besides, I has a Juke Box MP3 player with a 10GB hard drive for a while for music. Finally returned it for a Sony Compact Disk player -- The Juke Box skipped like crazy!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Doesn't the iPod have a hard drive too? I believe the secret to avoiding skipping is to put a large enough memory buffer on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not sure about the iPod, but I thought it used a memory stick (or something similar) verses a hard disk. The Juke Box I had used a buffer, but either it wasn't big enough, or I got a lemon machine, but it would only play for about 5 minutes or so before freezing up (unless I was not moving ....)

·
Registered
569 Posts
iPod

VA Rider said:
Doesn't the iPod have a hard drive too? I believe the secret to avoiding skipping is to put a large enough memory buffer on it.
The iPod does have a hard drive, mine has a 30 gig. I have mine in the left front storage pocket wrapped in foam to minimize shock and vibration.

·
Registered
169 Posts
While it doesn't have turn by turn, or voice, I use a Magellan Meridian Platinum. With an add-on memory card and the Topo map CD, I have put several adjacent states onto the memory card, then load that area into the main memory when I get there. I use it in the car, the RV, the airplane, and now the bike. The GPS is about $350, memory card prices keep changing, the the Topo CD I got for Christmans, but it's about $80.

Re hard drives in mobile units, can you say C-R-A-S-H?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts