GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on the MTF board

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60c/
No option to add memory, but with 56 MB inernal, has a whole lot more than the GPS V did.

Better screen technology than the SPIII for easier viewing.

Compact for multi-functional use.

Might be something to look at!

They are going for under $400 on ebay, didn't check out any of the Estores that sell for good prices.

Happy shopping!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i know 56 meg sounds like a lot of memory, but the maps chew memory like crazy.

i have only had my garmin ique for a couple weeks, and have the card about full, 32 internal and a 512 sd card, i have about 40 % of the country loaded.

thats why i stayed away from the low memory models. i didnt want to load maps every time i went somewhere.

the ique 3600 is avaible for $446 shipped, brand new with warranty and software, without a sd card.

loren

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While the IQue would be a good option for less strenuous use, I wouldn't want to take it hiking or mountain biking. Would be great for nice weather riding, but once it starts raining, you'd be SOL.

I used the GPS V for over a year, and have about 30k miles on it. Did 8k miles in 9 days using it, with only my stop desinations loaded into it. I did my 100CC, d/l'ed part of Seattle, then SD, and JAX, and used the base maps for the rest of the trip. The base maps are great and will do a great job of getting you from point to point when on the road.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Geez Mike....
I just made up my mind that I am going to buy the GPS V,now you show me this!! I was actually thinking of buying it today!

Now I gotta look around some more! :?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff in Ferndale said:
Geez Mike....
I just made up my mind that I am going to buy the GPS V,now you show me this!! I was actually thinking of buying it today!

Now I gotta look around some more! :?
Don't you just hate that! Just when you think you have it all figured out, something new comes along... lol

It would be a tough choice. If I were looking for something that I was only going to use on the bike/in the car, I'd find a used SPIII. If you want to go cheap, I'd say this until has pretty much killed the market for new (and used) GPSVs, so their price should drop drastically!! So if you can live with the GPS V and want to save money, you should be able to find a good deal on one.

But this now one would be a great new dual purpose for getting in the outdoors too, with extra memory and a better screen.

Decisions... decisions... :lol:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have a Street Pilot III in the truck, and was thinking of getting a 2610 to replace the GPS-V I have on the Wing. That new Magellan unit caught my eye as well, so now I'm back in "wait and see" mode. Hopefully There will be some reviews of the Magellan on line son.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just remember that the GPS 60C doesn't come with the detail map software (over $100), It will not talk to you like the SPIII, 2610, or iQ3600, and you cannot expand the memory capacity. If you take a long trip, you will have to have a way to load more maps as you travel.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MickeyNew said:
Just remember that the GPS 60C doesn't come with the detail map software (over $100),
Hmmm, I missed that part... good point!!

I guess if you are swapping from another unit, you could use the software you already have... but if it is a first time GPS, you are right, you'd still have to get maps.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
One of the most over looked GPS systems for the Gold Wing is the Garmin Emap. I looked at the Street Pilot III, the GPSV, and a few others and decided that for the money and practicality, the Emap best fit my needs. The emap is cheap (about $100), it's waterproof, it's compact, it's expandable, it's accurate, and it's very durable.

The emap uses the same mapping programs as the rest of the high dollar units, except you don't get the voice and the autorouting features, which in my opinion is a joke anyway. If you really travel alot, you will find that there are many discrepencies in the mapping software that could end up costing you alot of time and discomfort if you choose to let the program "auto route" you. Been there done that with some of my motorcycle buds who insisted the software knew where we were going. I played dumb and let them lead anyway.

The emap easily fits in your front pocket if you ever decide to take a hike somewhere, or if you are walking around in a strange city, you can just mark your coordinates, and you never have to worry about finding your bike because the emap will lead you right to it.

Don't get me wrong... I like my toys just like the next guy, but when you can buy something for $100 that will do the same exact thing as something for $700, I'll go with the cheaper one everytime.

For those of you interesed in a nice little "down and dirty" GPS unit, I highly recommend the Emap. Here's a photo of how I mounted the emap and my XM radio control head.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RodeHard said:
The emap uses the same mapping programs as the rest of the high dollar units, except you don't get the voice and the autorouting features, which in my opinion is a joke anyway. If you really travel alot, you will find that there are many discrepencies in the mapping software that could end up costing you alot of time and discomfort if you choose to let the program "auto route" you. Been there done that with some of my motorcycle buds who insisted the software knew where we were going. I played dumb and let them lead anyway.
Having not actually ridden with the SPIII I bought, I can't speak to the value of the voice prompts. But I know, IMHO, the auto routing is pretty darn good. Does it make mistakes, sure. But the 99% of the time it works, it is invaluable. When I go to a city I've never been to before, I love being able to punch in an address and have it take me there. Admittedly it might now know the absolute quickest route (shortcuts only locals know), but it will still get me there.

And the ability to change your route on the fly is worth it to me. Been on enough rides where I end up deviating from the plan I came up with sitting on the computer at home and ending up going somewhere completely different. Having something without autorouting to will tell me where I am at on the map, but if I don't know where to go to get where I'm going, it isn't much use. Wouldn't be much better than a paper map, would still have to stop and replan route. With autorouting I just point myself in the direction I want to go and let it replan on the fly.

But heck, if the $100 model works for you, then you've got $600 to spend on other stuff... so that works too!! :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
"For those of you interesed in a nice little "down and dirty" GPS unit, I highly recommend the Emap. Here's a photo of how I mounted the emap and my XM radio control head. "

Rodehard,

Where did you get the mount for the E-map. I'm like you and the e-map does everyting I need, I know how to use it and it's paid for! I just got my new wing and am trying to figure where & how to mount the e-map.

Thanks,

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Where did you get the mount for the E-map. I'm like you and the e-map does everyting I need, I know how to use it and it's paid for! I just got my new wing and am trying to figure where & how to mount the e-map.
I took out the "goldwing" emblem, and then took some metal and fashioned me a mount for my RAM ball and XM radio. I also made a plate that attaches to the underside of the top shelter where the emblem indentation is to add strength to the mount. I'ts amazing what you can do with a dremel tool and black spray paint. Looks almost factory.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like it's got some cool features! And faster is gooder!!! :D

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Have the Magellian Meridian with a bicycle mount. Used a rubber band as a safty incase the unit ever bounced lose, but never happened. Problem was it's use at night, the screen lite button only last for ten seconds. For this reason I got the 2650 garmin. The screen is twice the size, and is lit at night. Also can load the whole usa with a big enough card. The speedometer tracking is fabulous, and the gyro really is accurate with any angle turn. Making the GPS a secondary check.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts