GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Garmin Zumo550 navigation unit becomes available October 2006 for $1,076. ($999. at Best Buy) Bluetooth compatible for hands free cellphone usage, phone number voice dialing, waterproof, usable with golves on, MP3 included, satellite radio and more. I don't know much about Navi units, but if you are looking to buy or replace a Navi unit, you might want to check this out.

Here's a link - http://www.garmin.com/products/zumo/

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Build it into 1800's

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Which means: NOT EVEN MAYBE.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I don't see any mention of track points or the ability to download them to a PC. :cry: That would be its Achilles heel for me.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Neil-In-Seattle said:
I don't see any mention of track points or the ability to download them to a PC. :cry: That would be its Achilles heel for me.
I knew I read it somewhere, but it took me a while to find it...

Check out this press release - it states a 10,000 point tracklog capability, accessed through the SD card.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I'd be a little cautious about Star Marine, not based on experience with them but because Garmin is using the ZUMO model as the beginning of stringent enforcement of the Garmin Minimum Price Policy for ALL Garmin retailers. That and I don't see Star Marine listed as an authorized Garmin Dealer by Garmin, which may be a problem for any warranty claims you may have on the Zumo.

The following is a quote from http://www.tvnav.com:

Unfortunately for our customers and TVNAV, GARMIN has been forced by a few large chain stores to implement a Minimum Resale Price (MRP) policy on several of the GARMIN units. This policy states that we cannot sell certain products for less than a price that GARMIN determines. GARMIN will however let us return the difference between our normal selling price and the MRP back to the customer with s/h and other products we sell. GARMIN will not allow us to give away products under this policy but we can sell them for as little as a penny. The amount listed is how much you have out of our price on the product to use towards s/h and any other products that we sell that don't have a MRP in effect. Here is an example....the MRP on the GARMIN zūmo 550 is $999.99. For $1,000.00 purchase price for the zumo 550 we would give you a credit of up to $220.00 to use towards s/h and any products we sell that don't have an MRP on them.

The penalty for a dealer not following the MRP will be GARMIN not shipping that dealer product for 6 weeks on the first offense. Repeat offenses could result in the removal of dealership status. You should not find any authorized dealers selling product for less than the MRP. If you do, be aware that they are probably not a legitimate GARMIN dealer and you may not have a GARMIN warranty on products purchased from un-authorized dealers. To check for authorized GARMIN dealers click here http://www.garmin.com/dealers/ . Click here http://www.garmin.com/cgi-bin/us_dealers.pl?state=KS&city=Hays for the TVNAV authorized GARMIN dealer listing.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Sounds like a good reason to boycott Garmin until they come to their senses.

David M.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Garmin has multiple levels of retail distribution. The 'Authorized Dealers' are those that purchase directly from Garmin and get the lowest prices for that reason. All it takes to become an authorized dealer is a minimum buy-in purchase and agreement to sell a minimum quota each year.

They also sell to wholesale distributors who then sell to second-tier retailers, who are free to sell any of the units for whatever they feel like.

Garmin doesn't restrict warranty to purchases from only 'authorized dealers' - all you need for warranty support is a copy of your retail sales receipt.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm considering getting a Zumu next year to replace my 60C. I've been waiting for them to post the documentation and more screen shots. I like the information page on my 60C that you can customize with all sorts of data elements like elevation, miles to dest, time to dest, speed, etc. They really only show the map screen and the one with just a few data elements. In the specs on the web site it has this statement but it's pretty vague.

Motorcycle console for trip information, including fuel gauge to warn you when its time to fill up

It will be interesting when someone finally gets one here and can give us a real world evaluation of it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
pshivers said:
I'd be a little cautious about Star Marine, not based on experience with them but because Garmin is using the ZUMO model as the beginning of stringent enforcement of the Garmin Minimum Price Policy for ALL Garmin retailers. That and I don't see Star Marine listed as an authorized Garmin Dealer by Garmin, which may be a problem for any warranty claims you may have on the Zumo.
Before I pre-ordered my Zumo from Star Marine Depot ("SMD") I did a reasonable amount of research about them and discovered that they are "one of the largest marine supply sources on the Internet." Also there's at least three retailers selling the Zumo for under $800 (SMD, Rogue Marine and CycoActive), so SMD is far from playing an upstart maverick role. On the other, as long as you have legitimately purchased your Zumo and registered your serial number with Garmin, your warranty will carry the same weight and effect as is given to any other purchaser, no matter where acquired.

dansgl1800 said:
I'm considering getting a Zumu next year to replace my 60C. I've been waiting for them to post the documentation and more screen shots.
I've had email correspondence with Garmin about when specifically they plan on releasing their documentation (i.e., down-loadable owners' manual). They stated: "[they did] not know the exact date that [they] will be releasing the manual it will be close to the release of the unit."

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
dansgl1800 said:
... I've been waiting for them to post the documentation and more screen shots. I like the information page on my 60C that you can customize with all sorts of data elements like elevation, miles to dest, time to dest, speed, etc. They really only show the map screen and the one with just a few data elements. In the specs on the web site it has this statement but it's pretty vague...
This is a concern of mine as well - my gut feeling is that Garmin has adapted the User Interface of the Nuvi and 'C-class' units to the Zumo. This will be a mistake, as they've reduced the configuration options on these units to make them easier to operate. The screen shots of the Zumo pretty closely match those of the C550 (which is very limited in its configurability).

I'll also be interested to see how functional the track log feature really is. A 10,000 point track log doesn't do you much good if each log is limited to only 1,000 points. For example, the 376 allows for storing up to 10,000 track log points in up to 15 files, but it appears that each file can only hold up to 1,000 points. You need to expand the track logging format to drop fewer markers to be able to keep track of more points in a single file. This makes the track file management tougher to keep track of. It would be more usable if the track files could save a single day's ride info in a single file. (I've had 300 mile twisty days with well over 2,000 points)

It will be interesting to fully review this unit - a screen size of 2.1" H will probably put the position marker in a position that allows for about 1.75" of vertical map information (upcoming road info)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jon said:
This is a concern of mine as well - my gut feeling is that Garmin has adapted the User Interface of the Nuvi and 'C-class' units to the Zumo. This will be a mistake, as they've reduced the configuration options on these units to make them easier to operate. The screen shots of the Zumo pretty closely match those of the C550 (which is very limited in its configurability).
I just went and looked at the manuals for the C-class and Nuvi products. The trip information is static and it does not include elevation. Those units seem to have more trip info on them than the published screen shots of the Zumo trip info page...which really worries me. I guess all we can do now is wait for the info to come out and hope that Garmin didn't "dumb" down the Zumo.

·
Registered
319 Posts
LaMonster said:
Display: 2.8” W x 2.1” H (3.5” diag.), :roll:
I've noticed here and separately on the VTXOA you seem to go out of your way to mention this about the Zumo and I can't help but think the purpose of it's insertion, if not actually self-serving, is not necessarily made in the spirit of helping out as have other postings with reasonable concerns have. We understand that you own and use the 'Etch-A-Sketch'-like screen size of an iWay. :roll: So naturally if you are used to this large a screen, everything else WILL seem smaller to you.

So let's at least be fair and put it into perspective: Garmin's Zumo screen is still accumulatively larger than many GPS units available, including but not limited to the entirety of their extremely popular 26xx, 27xx and 28xx series of navigators, as well as a good number of other brands. And somehow people seem quite satisfied with those.... As a benchmark, I own a StreetPilot III which screen size has always been considered industry-wide to be one of the largest available in pre-iWay GPS units. The Zumo is more than 96% it's size! Here are the numbers:

MODEL.................................W...........H..........Sq. Inches
SPIII....................................3.4.........1.8............6.12
Zumo...................................2.8.........2.1............5.88
26xx, 27xx, 28xx Series.......3.3.........1.7............5.61

Additionally, the Zumo boasts a high bright UV-resistant display (no other GPS manufacturer has yet been able to make this claim) which will make it surprisingly viewable even in direct sunlight. That, coupled together with the traditionally-sized screen means the Garmin Zumo 550's readability will not be problematic in any form. :D

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
mbresso said:
... Additionally, the Zumo boasts a high bright UV-resistant display (no other GPS manufacturer has yet been able to make this claim) which will make it surprisingly viewable even in direct sunlight. That, coupled together with the traditionally-sized screen means the Garmin Zumo 550's readability will not be problematic in any form. :D
I think that the fact that Lamont posts the screen-size dimension is actually done to emphasize the fact that the display is 'relatively' small.

Remember, when you've got the navigational data tabs displayed on the map page, the 26/27/28-series units drop to 4.3 sq. inches and the 276/376-class units are 'only' 5.6 sq. inches. When you compare this to the iWays' 12.4 sq. inches, they all seem small. There are many of us who have actually used the larger screen and stepping back to a smaller screen is very difficult. Speaking for Lamont (and I could be all wrong), I think he'd be happy to look at a Garmin unit since he's had so many issues with his iWays, but dropping back to a small screen is very tough to do.

The UV-resistant display claim is intriguing - have they had issues with UV damage to their other units? Even their marine units, designed solely for use in an exposed environment, do not make this claim. Are all other GPS displays going to be faded & opaque in a short time? Maybe this is part of the problem with the 376 displays?

How has the non-UV resistant display on your SP3 holding up? :D

Remember, they claim that the 2720 display is a 'bright, sunlight-readable display' and it very clearly fades quickly in bright daylight. Time will tell how well this unit lives up to its' press release. I hope they don't disappoint.

·
Registered
87 Posts
After reviewing the screen shots from the link in this thread

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=67674

and the comments that it's even simpler that the Nuvo, I've taken the Zumo off my want list. I can't believe they didn't at least give you elevation and time to destination on the information screen.

Time to start researching other models now....

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Dan, you've got to keep in mind that everything except the screenshots is all conjecture at this point.

Until we get our hands on a real unit, we won't know for sure that this unit isn't the end-all, be-all GPS.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts