GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I traded in my 2002 1800 VTX and picked up my 2012 blue level 2 goldwing. All is good except the front wheel wobbles around 35 mph, after researching I see this problem has been around for a while and Honda still hasn't fixed it. What is the number one fix & cost for this problem. I found http://www.traxxion.com/ says they can fix the problem for around $1200 dollars. I don't get it I bought a brand new MC that needs repair

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well I traded in my 2002 1800 VTX and picked up my 2012 blue level 2 goldwing. All is good except the front wheel wobbles around 35 mph, after researching I see this problem has been around for a while and Honda still hasn't fixed it. What is the number one fix & cost for this problem. I found http://www.traxxion.com/ says they can fix the problem for around $1200 dollars. I don't get it I bought a brand new MC that needs repair
My 2006 developed the wobble at around 1500 miles. I took it back to the dealer and told them to fix it. I said "It didn't wobble on the test drive, nor during the first 1000 miles, so it shouldn't wobble now." My dealer installed the all-balls tapered steering head bearings on his nickel (I had to buy the bearings, but they covered the labor). It has not wobbled since (25000 miles).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would take it back immediately and make he dealer fix it. It's a new bike under full warranty and they have to make it right.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Yup. You MAY be able to reduce/mask the wobble or even get rid of it by any of the following options:

Change front tire
Change rear tire
Retorque head bearings
Replace head bearings with roller ball style bearings
Install a steering dampner
Upgrade front suspension.

Some get the wobble with one tire but not another. Others "like me" develop a slight decel wobble after the front tire starts showing a bit of uneven wear.

Still others never experience the issue and there are even some that can never get rid of it regardless of what they do.

I'd focus on the top 4 first. That is the most likely to rid you of the decel wobble.

I upgraded to a full Traxxion suspension and the wobble hasn't returned for 32k miles. Can't say what specific part fixed it for me but I'm guessing the head bearing for most of the "fix".

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
A universal problem ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_wobble

#1 ... keep your hands on the handlebars ... (DUH !!! )

#2 ... install roller bearings in the steering head

#3 ... maintain proper torque in the steering head bearings

#4 ... I don't consider this a "fault" ... more of an "eccentricity" ...

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I find it entertaining, but if I were to do something about it, I'd
go the All Balls route. Seams the cheapest fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get wheel wobble even with hands on the bars, I try and take a video. I really love the bike otherwise. Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that there is just about no torque on the steering bearings ... bicycles and motorcycles need just the right amount of "snugness" in these steering bearings. Not sure what the book says, but Mother Honda has a correct figure ... should be checked occasionally and re-snugged for wear. Not at all difficult to do.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I get wheel wobble even with hands on the bars, I try and take a video. I really love the bike otherwise. Thanks for all the input
Everyone is so quick to jump on the bearings.Guesses is what they are!

If you feel vibration with hands on the bars,I suspect a defective front tire.Go back to the dealer and have them ride it according to what you tell them when you feel this vibration at what speeds.

It's not impossible to have bearings loose.But everyone who owns a 12 says they feel now wobble coming off of other 1800's.
Have the dealer check it out and go from there.

I wouldn't waste my money on aftermarket suspension on the new fork set up on a 12 until YOU feel you need it down the road,But only YOU will know that in time.

Let us know what the dealer does to rectify this for you.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
All Balls. at about $45 for the part, it's the cheapest fix. Of course the stem bearings are buried pretty deeply under all the plastic and stuff, so the labor part can get up to $2 or $300 easily. It's not too hard to do yourself, buit it requires a few specialized tools, a manual, and the ability / willingness to dig iinto your new bike.

I have never seen the roller bearing fix fail to solve the wobble issue. If your tires are worn into a wobbly pattern by having had the wobble for a long time, it may not go away completely until you change the tires, but it will go away, and not come back.

Traxxion can fix the problem, and the suspension components they use are MUCH beter than what comes stock on a Goldwing. But the part that fixes tha wobble for their solutiuon is.... (drumroll please!) ....roller bearings!

There is also a guy who makes a steering damper, but the roller bearings will fix it for less money.
http://seeleyproducts.com/

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
rvalance; if your wobble is the typical decel wobble from somewhere in about the mid 40s down to lower 30's, then its the same senerio and "cures" that apply to VTX's and other large bikes of all makes and even some smaller bikes. It is not something Honda will "fix" unless they add a damper or use the more resistive tapered roller bearings to help cover it up. Its an engineering thing and they tend to err or the side of this low speed decel wobble and to stay away from its counter part or reciprocal, the deadly tank slapper at high speed.

New bikes "should not" do it in my opinion. What happens is that the bike gets a vibratory input from a tire a wheel or swing arm bearing, or drive shaft, or, or, or and that vibe gets the frame to respond at its natural frequency. The easiest outlet for that energy is through the steerng, so that his where it is felt. On new bikes, swapping rear wheel/tire assemblies or even the front can stop the symptom. I think it is most ofter the rear tire or its mounting. If you can't find the source, then use of tapered bearings is the easiest remedy and is usually very effective. On the other hand, if your wobble is not the decel type, that is it just wobbles at that speed regadless of decel, acel, or cruise; then talk to Red on this board. he has had that unfortunate experience more than once.

prs

S

·
0 Posts
Just note - nothing has changed. 2001-2012 so whatever issues are common in any one year will most like also exist in all other years.

Your going to get missinformation everywhere from $3000 springs to filling the tires with sand :lol:

resistive tapered roller bearings
This is not exactly true as bearings are not intended to be dampers but this does fix the problem if installed correctly. (not torqued)
Normal touring tires also can remedy the problem.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Traxxion, even the full Monty, is not a sure fix. Trust me, I can say this for sure. Running too much pressure in your tires doesn't solve it either.

Many large motorcycles, not just GoldWings, do it becasue of a variety of factors that center around a sensitive steering geometry.

Many of the the things mentioned above will help...but on some bikes like mine, when you get some mileage on the tires, the wobble comes back....not as bad as before the tapered headset bearings and the traxxion cartridge forks, but it is still there. Other riders seem to be able to wear their tires past having any tread and still don't wobble.

But a poorly made or balanced tire....front or rear...can really make it worse and bring the symptoms on at lower mileage.

You'll see the same complaint on BMW boards...in fact I saw a post from a Motor officer who said they had 11 new BMW police bikes, and they ALL had the the very same decel wobble at around 35-40 mph that we suffer on the Wings.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Except for Rocky, you guys keep missing the critical information rvallance provided: " . . . I get wheel wobble even with hands on the bars, . . ." !! This is not typical with the normal GL1800 low-speed wobble. My guess is that something else is going on that needs to be evaluated by a competent mechanic. Having him spend money on retorqueing or buying new steering stem bearings, a wheel or tire exchange or anything else is a waste of his time and money until the reasons for this anomoly can be determined.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Most likely a tire. Should not be acting up with hands on the bars.

A tire can and will cause that.

The Rwobble is during decel, not with hands on the bars.

Or if it is cold and you get into the Brandy, that will cause a wobble too. :lol:

Looking forward to cold weather.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
My 08 had the wobble the first time I pulled away from the dealer. I felt it as I accelerated through 35mph. I thought a front tire was low so I stopped and checked it...fine. If I rode at a steady 35mph with hands on the bars it would visibly shake them. And of course it would definitely wobble if you took your hands off the bars during decel or a steady 35. I complained to the dealer and they said put 41 psi front and rear, yea right. I learned to live with it since I rarely went 35 and had little reason to take my hands off the bars. When the D250's wore out I replaced them with Bridgestones. The wobble was gone for the life of the tires. I replaced them with another set of Stones and a slight wobble was noticeable. Then I knew that the tires played a significant role. I had the tires swapped for different and the wobble was again gone. I would have the dealer first swap out the tires and make sure they were properly balanced.

S

·
0 Posts
Add as much air as possible and torque the bearings to the brink of failure :lol:

Just kidding - that's the general theory here though

Most likely it's just another tread design problem. I can suggest switching to better tires but that brings up a whole new gamete of over pressurized, sand filled backwards mounted ideas.

I am afraid there is no fix :-(

1 - 20 of 36 Posts