GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I just got my new Goldwing yesterday!. Premium audio (black)

I had to ride 75 miles and it was dark and COLD!, yes, cold for South Carolina 32F.

I was wearing my good gloves... meaning that they worked pretty good behind my HD fairing. But with the Goldwing my hands were freezing!!.

How do I fix this? from what I saw there are Baker wings and Tulsa Wings, but it gets confusing from there.

I'd like also some protection for my feet but there seems to be several options.

What would be the most popular solution?

OPR

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Well, welcome to the board, you'll find a lot of great people here and a wealth of information.

Warm hands, I have a 07 with the comfort package, heated grips and seat and this works good, you'll never beat heated clothing. I also have the complete Gerbings setup and in my opinion, that's the only way to go.

I would start with a jacket liner and gloves and add to this as needed.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
I have Baker mirror wings and a set of Hondaline heated grips. At 32 degrees I can turn the grips on high and my hands will sweat with anything more than a pair of jersey gloves.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Welcome aboard! The Baker wings are what i have, I Love Them. The hand wings on the mirrors work well for blocking the air on hands, the upper wings do a nice job of directing the air away and the lowers, I use to direct the radiator heat to lower torso, they work well. I just recently purchased the Gerbings gloves and jacket liner, very toasty.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Well how often does it get that cold in SC?

How often will you ride in below 40 degrees.

Good Gloves? Probably are, but good for what purpose?

Bakers Work.

Bulldog.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the warm Welcome !! As you can see I joined a year ago and finally got the bike!

WOW, with only 70 miles I can only say what an impressive bike.

I'll be sure to order the Baker wings.

I guess I will be shopping now for some other Basics :D

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
OPR
I have the tulsa wings i think they look a lot better and they work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bulldog said:
Well how often does it get that cold in SC?
Bulldog.
I lived 11 years in Michigan so I know what you're talking about, it's just that yesterday's ride was quite bad on my hands.

My gloves were supposed to be good to 30F with my other bike.

Bakers.. here I come!

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Of the two options you mentioned pick the one you like. Bakers adjust and Tulsa does not. Tulsa looks better to most.
I would also recommend the Electrical Connection's heated grips. They install under any grips you have on the bike and work well.
http://www.electricalconnection.com/ele ... p-kits.htm

With the heated grips they are always there and no need to do anyting to use them, just reach down and turn them on. Good for rides home in the evening.

·
Registered
806 Posts
With the Bakers you can turn them open on hot days and get more air movement around you. Helps for the passenger also. On cold days they stop most of the air movement around your hands and keep some of the cold air off the passeger.

·
Registered
900 Posts
ronbien has the right idea....and you can use the grips of your choice over the heating elements.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I have the Tulsa mirror wings and you CAN turn them when it gets hot out. They will blast you with air when you turn them. The point is any mirror wings will help you. Either get a good pair of insulated gloves, heated grips or electric gloves to take care of your problem. Oh, welcome aboard!!!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Welcome to the boards and to the wing. Now is the time it gets expensive, making the wing yours :lol: Our sponsor HDL may have a sale just before Christmas that will allow you to save a bit on his already great prices. Stay tuned.

galute said:
I have Baker mirror wings and a set of Hondaline heated grips. At 32 degrees I can turn the grips on high and my hands will sweat with anything more than a pair of jersey gloves.
Me too, Heated Grips and Baker mirror wings, light summer deerskin gloves and I am good to as low temps as I want to ride, upper 20s to low 30s. High is almost always too high for the heated grips.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I installed Tulsa mirror wings and Electrical Connection heated grips..
no more cold hands ever... I have rode in 38 degree weather with the
shorty fingerless gloves and my hands were comfy...

cosmic

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello everyone - I have an 06 Wing with the comfort package, Nav and CB. I was out riding yesterday here in Iowa and it was approx. 43 degrees. With the grips and seat set on the #3 setting I had a very enjoyable ride. I feel the heated seats and grips are an excellent buy and the controls are built into the bike so there are no add-ons etc.

·
Registered
309 Posts
opr said:
Hi
I just got my new Goldwing yesterday!. Premium audio (black)

I had to ride 75 miles and it was dark and COLD!, yes, cold for South Carolina 32F.

I was wearing my good gloves... meaning that they worked pretty good behind my HD fairing. But with the Goldwing my hands were freezing!!.

How do I fix this? from what I saw there are Baker wings and Tulsa Wings, but it gets confusing from there.

I'd like also some protection for my feet but there seems to be several options.

What would be the most popular solution?

OPR
Baker mirror wings and heated grips... the ones that cycledude mentioned in his post are good!

Here's the link for the Baker wings. I have the clear:
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/product.asp?pid=1506&str=4&ID=714676341

·
Registered
679 Posts
Baker hand wings..and Baker Air Wings (you will need these next summer), and the EC grip heaters. Oh, and get a Belly Pan also..my '06 was new in April, and I've already got dents in the pan from who knows what that I'd rather see in the pan than hitting the engine. Matter of fact, found a dent in the pan and lower cowl from something white. I have absolutely no idea what hit me or when it happened. 13,000 miles on the bike.

Ride long and safe..and welcome.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Doesn't really get cold enough here to use them regularly. I have noticed when I do fire them up(grips) is they get the inside of you fingers and palms toasty which makes the outside of your hands feel even colder. My solution was to wear thinsulate leather gloves. This makes me think those Bakers aren't a bad idea. Terry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts