GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to pick up a 2019 Goldwing Tour DCT this Friday. It was down to this and a BMW Grand America. It was really tough for me as I've been planning on getting a BMW for a couple of years. Even bought (unfortunately!) a ton of accessories or branded gear.

My decision came down to: Aside from aesthetics (color or body style), I don't think BMW refreshed their model since 2010'ish. A couple of sticking points for me was their radio + navigation + bluetooth implementation did not seem seamless at all. Some riders also complained about some highway stability, but it seemed like a crap shoot. Some swear it exists, some do not. Finally, been eyeing the lots and they never had any 2019 or 2020's in stock anywhere. One local dealer wanted about $27-28k for a 2018 floor model with some mileage on it. Apparently their warranty clock starts ticking x number of while sitting on the lot.

The Goldwing has got me excited. It wasn't even on my radar until I got a news alert that they're the first (I think Harley too) to support Android Auto. I'm a techie so anything I can do (voice control/hand-free) to keep my eyes on the road and hands off controls the better. I always envisioned the Goldwings were huge which is why I never looked into it, but I really like the 2018+ style. Everything else on the Goldwing checked all the boxes. The DCT should be fun good experience too. Seems like (according to two different dealers) the Goldwings sales have been picking up and moving off the lot. I was lucky to get a 2019 with zero miles still in the crate.

It will be an expensive toy. Already created a wish list of accessories/add-ons I'll want to get! Looking forward to riding it, even though there may only be a few more months left this year!

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
WELCOME FROM FLORIDA ! ENJOY YOUR NEW RIDE !

·
Registered
696 Posts
Welcome neighbor. Great machine there.

Reactions: jlbc212

·
Registered
11 Posts
Getting ready to pick up a 2019 Goldwing Tour DCT this Friday. It was down to this and a BMW Grand America. It was really tough for me as I've been planning on getting a BMW for a couple of years. Even bought (unfortunately!) a ton of accessories or branded gear.

My decision came down to: Aside from aesthetics (color or body style), I don't think BMW refreshed their model since 2010'ish. A couple of sticking points for me was their radio + navigation + bluetooth implementation did not seem seamless at all. Some riders also complained about some highway stability, but it seemed like a crap shoot. Some swear it exists, some do not....
I think you made a good choice. I bought a BMW GA and traded it in with only about 800 miles on it. I did not feel safe on it due to it skittishness in even light winds at highway speeds. Felt like it was jumping all over and forcing me to make control inputs to compensate. I lost $$ on the trade-in but got a '18 DCT and have not looked back since.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you made a good choice. I bought a BMW GA and traded it in with only about 800 miles on it. I did not feel safe on it due to it skittishness in even light winds at highway speeds. Felt like it was jumping all over and forcing me to make control inputs to compensate. I lost $$ on the trade-in but got a '18 DCT and have not looked back since.
Thanks. That is good to hear. Between feedback similar as yours and no dealer I could find carrying 2020 models made me enough skittish in wonder where they were going to going with that model in the future. I now is just the waiting game to pick it up. At least I'm getting it before the weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
Welcome from SE Idaho and congrats on your new Wing. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up. :D

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Welcome from Texas. You will like that new Goldwing. I love the DCT on my 2018. I will suggest you put at least a 1000 miles on it before you purchase any accessories. You may find some that you thought you needed you may not want anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Welcome from MA. Most of my riding is in NH, ME and VT. I'm a misfit here in MA. One of these days someone needs to organize a RTE for us Northeast forum members.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well god bless you both. I’m a transplanted Masshole and while I don’t miss the humidity or snow, I do miss those country roads that go on forever. I’d like to comment on the freeway stability. The dealership that had mine was about 25 miles from me. Unfortunately it went across a farm plain that had the worst cross wind. I was trading in my ole standby, an ST1300 which is not a light bike. I had the damndest time steering into the wind. Coming back with the wing and on the closer lane to the wind, I just moved a cheek over a little and she was straight as an arrow. This wing carries low. Nice and low. Good for cornering, low speed maneuvers, and tracking. You’ll love it. And I really loved that ST, but alas, this bike has more and better mileage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a transplant from Connecticut, so I think driving up in this area will be a lot nicer in regards to less traffic/construction I am used to growing up! Thanks all for the tips and greetings! Hope I can participate a lot more in this forum!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got it! Nice ride home (1 hour+). Drives nice! Got to get used to riding again!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts