GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just bought a new (left-over) Silver 2013 Goldwing. A little about myself...I'm an Air Force vet of 24 years, I retired 2 years ago. I was a jet engine mechanic, so hence the profile name: Jetman. I just came off of an 09 Yamaha Vmax and an 09 Yamaha Raider S. I've been a Yamaha guy for years...always have been but also had a great longing for a Goldwing. So, now I have one! I'm have to admit...I'm a "mod-a-holic" and have sunk countless amounts of $$ in all my previous bikes...this Goldwing will be no different. I tend to go for performance mods 1st...then cosmetic mods later, so I'll be leaning on your folks for inputs! Glad to be here and I look forward to lots of great posts!!

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Welcome to the forum, lots of good info here, and more than a fair share of sarcasm. But since you were Air Farce, not sure if you'll be able to take it. :twisted:

Not much in the way of performance mods you can do to the bike, Fred H is working with a company on a new ECU flash, but that's about it. Lots of farkles you can do though. :thumbup:

Get out, meet some fellow riders, and enjoy the many miles of smiles you're going to have with the Wing.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
New Owner

WELCOME to the forum. Also WELCOME to the wonderful world of the Goldwing. As you put on the miles you will understand why there are so many wings on the road. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your Wing.....you're going to like it here.

Donnie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Jetman,

Welcome aboard. You are going to get a lot of (S)miles out of your new Scoot.

Congrats and ride safe!

I spent 22 1/2 years in the Air Farce myself. I miss the life style and adventure, but it was time to get out and start a new career and collect my checks from my old career. No Regrets here.

Most civilians have a tough time dealing with us old military folk. Our answers are Yes and no. our colors are black and white. Lots of folks can not handle the directness of our speak. We don't dance around, we "Do"....LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the warm welcome! I have been monitoring the post on the ECU Reflash. I can tell you this...on my Vmax I first started out with an aftermarket exhaust & intake. So, with those mods there's always an adjustment to bring air/fuel ratios within safe operating limits. At first I did the Powercommander V & loaded various maps to match my mods...the results were good but not to my expectations. Then, a very smart individual cracked & modified the Vmax ECU....the results were outstanding!! But, I do have to say at that point...my Vmax was well past the warranty period. The point I'm trying to make is this...if you bring your Goldwing in for service or warranty work, it can be either or...and let's just say there's an ECU update, we'll guess what? If you've had you're ECU reflashed & the dealer loads another update...that Reflash is gone. This is not like a car program where you download a program to a module & upload a new flash to the ECU. That system saves your original map to the programmer. An ECU Reflash is just that...it reflashes your ECU with no way to save your original map for warranty work. Just wanted to throw that out there. Kinda the: "been there, done that thing". Best regards, Jetman.

·
Banned
792 Posts
Howdy Jetman. Welcome and you will enjoy the new ride. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Welcome to the board and welcome to the adventures that I know the GL1800 will bring you! Best wishes from your friends in Canada too! Bet you didn't know you had Canadian friends already, did you? :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome aboard Jetman.
Might I suggest you upgrade the suspension and brakes. That's where most of the wings shortcomings are.
By the time you are done with that, you will think you have a new bike.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Hi there Jetman. You came to the right place for Goldwing information. Lots of very knowledgeable people here who are willing to share what they know. As stated above, there are not a lot of engine performance mods for Goldwings (other than the reflash Fred H. is working on). But there are a lot of suspension/handling upgrades you can make. As you become more familiar with your new bike you will be able to determine what your needs will be in that regard.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service! :flg:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
Welcome from the Arkansas River Valley!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts