GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
New to the board from Wisconsin here. Back in Honda land after spending the last 18 in BMW land. Had a 99 K1200RS and a 06 R1200RT. They closed the local Milwaukee dealer and I decided this time around to go back to Hondas (started riding with a CB 360 back in the day. Had a CB 500/4 and a 750 Super Sport back in the 70's).

In any case, just picked up a '18 Gold Wing non-tour in Stallion Brown (brand new still, dealer leftover, got a killer price on it). I'm not a trunk guy plus I really liked the blacked out look of the non-tour. Had the dealer throw in a second key fob and center stand, so that covers some of the things I want.

However, want to get a taller windshield for it since the stock on the non-cruise is basically useless. I"m kinda stuck here. I watched the Cruiseman's review of the F4 windshield (nice but seem kind of pricey at ~$350 ish.) and the tall Honda screen (seems more reasonably priced) or even a stock honda tour screen. I'm 6'2" so need some decent wind protection but most of the time I like to look over the windscreen.

So first post on this board asking for advice. Is the F4 worth the extra $ (looking at the 20", As I think the tall one might be too tall) or are there other good options I"m missing? Originally I had the vstream on my RT and I thought it generated a lot of buffeting on the highway, so I'm not super sold on that brand. I have a Cee Baileys on my RT now which I love, but they are out of the motorcycle business now.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts in advance. :) (Cruiseman feel free to chime in since you have tried both the taller honda and the F4 ones). I subscribed to your video channel on youtube. Lots of good stuff there!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve got the F4 tall windshield and love it. I’m 6’4” and have no issues with buffeting up to ~85 mph when I have it slightly raised, and can still see over the top. In fact I like it, because it forces me to sit up straighter . Over 90 mph I need to raise it to the point I’m looking through it, but I don’t go that fast very often.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh. EXCELLENT write-Doug. That was exactly what I was looking for. I'm virtually the same size as you (6'2", 220, fairly broad shouldered).

Note - I never ride two up, just alone. Would that make a difference in your opinion of the look of the shield or rider only protection? (it seems like you prefer the slipstream). Price is significantly less than the F4 (yep.. understand the difference in acrylic vs Poly). Dennis Kirk has them for a pretty good price.

Again, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I am 6'1" and use the F4 in the colder months and the Stock tour in the warmer months. I also use Show Chrome upper wings that mount under the mirrors.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Welcome to the fire! Place the model and year of that beautiful Wing in your "signature line" so that future service tips will match your specific need. I was not doing will at all with the Honda stock windscreen. Very soon after they became available I purchased an F-4 in the upswept top design. I do not recall if there were regular and tall versions, if so mine must be the tall since when it is up I am looking through (I am tall), but in down position is is still quite short and sporty. With it set comfortably below eye level, the wind stream still shoot up over my face and skips off the top of my helmet. The wind from the mirror and fairing, not to do with the sindscreen, are still a little annoying. The F-4 products are very tough and scratch resistant. Very nice product and worth the added cost IMHO.

prs

·
Registered
558 Posts
I am 6'1" and use the F4 in the colder months and the Stock tour in the warmer months. I also use Show Chrome upper wings that mount under the mirrors.

I installed the Honda Upper Air Deflectors while i still had the stock shield installed. These did calm the air considerably at the rider and passenger positions. Next I installed the Honda Lower Wind Deflectors which provided an added margin of wind protection at the rider position but no further improvement at the passenger position.

Point here is that you can improve wind protection a good bit behind a stock shield by installing wind deflectors.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm 6' and use the stock screen, fully up and i'm covered doing 80mph, half way up doing 40-50, I'm covered.
Under 40, I may just leave it all the way down

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
the F4 windshield (nice but seem kind of pricey at ~$350 ish.) and the tall Honda screen (seems more reasonably priced) or even a stock honda tour screen.
Call F4 and ask if they have any blems (seconds) for your model. They might. Could be something as minor as a chip on the side that isn't in your line of sight. If they do, you can get it for a LOT LESS than MSRP. Every once in a while they post here in their forum that they have blems on sale, but no use in waiting since you're looking to buy now.

IMO, the tall F4 is only a SLIGHT improvement in wind protection over the OEM shield on my 2018 Tour. I prefer to look thru the shield, not over it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Note - my new ride is the NON-Tour with the shorty windscreen. It's possible if I had the tour version I would be ok with it. But when I test rode the bike before buying it there was way too much wind (picking it up today in fact).

I decided on the Slipstream screen. I can almost buy 3 of them for the cost of the F4, plus it sounds like it gives a little better wind protection. So I'll start with that one and see how it holds up (mostly based on Doug's writeup of the two screens, thanks Doug). If it turns out to not be durable, I'll pick up one of the F4 screens. Time will tell.

I appreciate all the feedback. It's obvious that this forum is just as friendly as the BMW forums :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts