GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a leftover 2018 Goldwing Tour for a test drive today. The odometer said 547 miles so I guess others (many) have test drove it as well, maybe over a weekend or two.

Its a White 6 speed tour marked down to 21, 295 and they quoted me 20,999, 23,182 OTD. Called another dealer who does not allow test drives and was quoted 23,470 OTD for the same bike in red, but with no miles. I've dealt with both dealers in the past, but the second one is 12 hours round trip away.

Should I be concerned about the miles?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you prefer Red or White? Have dealer do the "dealer recommended" but not required 600 mile service on them for the White one if you get it. Peace of mind if nothing else.

As far as the Red one do you want to travel 12 hrs to a dealer that won't allow test drives? Not because you need to ride again but just the not allowing it would make me think twice if I want to deal with them.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Do you prefer Red or White? Have dealer do the "dealer recommended" but not required 600 mile service on them for the White one if you get it. Peace of mind if nothing else.

As far as the Red one do you want to travel 12 hrs to a dealer that won't allow test drives? Not because you need to ride again but just the not allowing it would make me think twice if I want to deal with them.
exactly

·
Registered
119 Posts
There is a 2018 6 speed in the Classifieds (on here) with some nice accessories already done, first service complete for 20k FYI. He's in TN

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's a very good price and I personally wouldn't be concerned about the miles. That's nothing on a bike with an engine that will easily give you 100K miles. For me it would come down to color. If you prefer the White, buy it. If you prefer the Red, buy it. Both are good prices and you should get what you want for your money.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Took a leftover 2018 Goldwing Tour for a test drive today. The odometer said 547 miles so I guess others (many) have test drove it as well, maybe over a weekend or two.

Its a White 6 speed tour marked down to 21, 295 and they quoted me 20,999, 23,182 OTD. Called another dealer who does not allow test drives and was quoted 23,470 OTD for the same bike in red, but with no miles. I've dealt with both dealers in the past, but the second one is 12 hours round trip away.

Sounds like a heckuvah deal to me 600 miles is nothing, go with the white for it is surely the fastest.:wink2:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I worked for a dealer that would not allow test rides.

Do you think everyone babies a bike they do not own, or maybe at least some people beat the H___ out of them! What ya think?

Judging from what I saw in the service department I would guess the latter.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Miles would not concern me but I would make sure the "demo" bike is new. If it has been titled the warranty has been running. I would not give up part of the warranty on a new generation bike for that little of money.

·
Registered
19,254 Posts
Ask him to throw in an extended warranty & that you will buy it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I doubt any of the demo riders followed general break in guidelines.
Can't say I did either. I don't know what the break in procedure is on this bike, but the RPM limits for the first 1000 miles on my last bike was virtually impossible to stay under. I read mixed opinions about babying a new bike at the time and kind of split the difference.

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
Can't say I did either. I don't know what the break in procedure is on this bike,
From page 16 in the owner’s manual.

Break In Period:

During the first 300 miles (500 km) of running, follow these guidelines to ensure your motorcycle’s future reliability and performance.
● Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.
● Avoid hard braking and rapid down- shifts.
● Ride conservatively.

:doorag:

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Pls correct me if I'm wrong but the warranty period does not start until it is sold & titled.
I got a fantastic deal on my 18 Yamaha Venture. The dealer had 3 on his floor, one red with 400 miles and one each of the gray and red with 0 miles. I took the red with 0 miles.They had been on his floor for 6 months. The warranty was activated on all 3 but with Yamaha giving a 5 year warranty on this bike I was not to concerned. He told me the reason why but it didnt make much sense to me. After getting it registered I looked it up on the Yamaha warranty site and it did indeed only have 4 1/2 years of warranty left.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I bought a used demo wing, and the warranty started when they started using it as a demo, not when it was titled.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

Buy the Red one new. The Red color is about $300-500 more, I think, so both the bikes are priced about the same. Why would you want to buy a "used" bike when you can get a new one for the same money? And especially why would you want to buy a "used" bike at all? As others have noted, do you really think that bike wasn't abused on demo rides?

If a person is demoing the bike,they are wanting to see how it handles and accelerates and stops....all the things you AREN'T supposed to do during brake-in. LOL!

PLus, a 12 hour round trip is no big deal. You aren't going to have to go back there for service anyway.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts